What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

THe problem is the how, not the what

Whats Doing

Bench
The real problem at the knights at the moment is more to do with how Smithy has approached the clean out of players, not the clean out itself.

It is always a difficult situation when you need to release players and what is happening at the moment is no different to any work situation. However it needs to be done tactfully and wih compassion. Otherwise morale drops and the focus of the players is on the sackings and not the winning of their next game.

I am 100% behind the cleanout by Smithy as it is 3 years over due but have real concerns on how Smithy has gone about it.

Alex28

Coach
The critics need to ask themselves - do they want a team of players that are obviously not up to the job not making the 8 but having mateship and a good time any way, or do they want a group of professionals who are capable of winning a premiership?

Smith inherited the former, he is trying to build the latter while trying to waste as little of the clubs money and resources as possible. Good on him!

oldman

Juniors
Whats Doing said:
The real problem at the knights at the moment is more to do with how Smithy has approached the clean out of players, not the clean out itself.

It is always a difficult situation when you need to release players and what is happening at the moment is no different to any work situation. However it needs to be done tactfully and wih compassion. Otherwise morale drops and the focus of the players is on the sackings and not the winning of their next game.

I am 100% behind the cleanout by Smithy as it is 3 years over due but have real concerns on how Smithy has gone about it.

I hope everyone understands that Smith only has three years , this year was to be the AJ swansong but it never happened. If anyone really did not think this clean out would not have happened at the end of the year they are simply mad. His plan is

Year one - (now) Clean and and buy a base for next year.

Year two - mold new and old players aim for at least the eight.

Year Three - Add pieces as required and go for it !

How could he do it over a longer time frame

perverse

Referee
Whats Doing said:

so how would you handle it then? how do you tell 10+ nuffies that are underperforming (and have been for years) that they arn't needed for next year without ruffling feathers? especially nuffies who think they have a god given right to be in the team because they're from newcastle?

roopy

Referee
It's all history now.
The deadwood is cut.
The young blokes are all still here and ready to battle for positions next season.
The imports are all signed.

All that needs to be done is for us to have the best off season ever - and 2008 will be our year.

macavity

Referee
If we get rid of Reyno we still have some $$$ to spend too

one more decent signing might be on the way.

I agree with "Whats Doing" this argument is 2 pronged.

1. Player Clean out - Cut the deadwood , most knights supporters agree with this. This is what Smith was hired to do , the board endorses it and Smiths done a good job.

2. Smith the man and personality - Next year we will have better players but can the coach get along with them ? Players aren't robots , next years "IMPORTS" may be better players than those replaced , but do they have different personalities? of course not!

Everyone of the players has been told we need change, is it change to a new "knights Culture" , or change to "Brian Smiths" Culture? I hope its the former , and accordingly Smith needs to start doing some changing in his habits.

Burraston needs to enroll the coach in 2 months of "Effective Communication " courses at a business college in the off season. Either that or they bring in an assistant coach to talk to the players.

perverse

Referee
UPTHEGUTSBUTTS said:
I agree with "Whats Doing" this argument is 2 pronged.

1. Player Clean out - Cut the deadwood , most knights supporters agree with this. This is what Smith was hired to do , the board endorses it and Smiths done a good job.

2. Smith the man and personality - Next year we will have better players but can the coach get along with them ? Players aren't robots , next years "IMPORTS" may be better players than those replaced , but do they have different personalities? of course not!

Everyone of the players has been told we need change, is it change to a new "knights Culture" , or change to "Brian Smiths" Culture? I hope its the former , and accordingly Smith needs to start doing some changing in his habits.

Burraston needs to enroll the coach in 2 months of "Effective Communication " courses at a business college in the off season. Either that or they bring in an assistant coach to talk to the players.
wtf? of course they have different personalities! the current players that we have think they have some sort of god given right to their jerseys. new players brought in to the club will need to impress to earn first grade spots. this is the culture that smith is trying to achieve - a winning one.

Whats Doing

Bench
perverse said:
so how would you handle it then? how do you tell 10+ nuffies that are underperforming (and have been for years) that they arn't needed for next year without ruffling feathers? especially nuffies who think they have a god given right to be in the team because they're from newcastle?

The way to go about it is as follows:

1. Smithy was given the mandatre by the board when he was appointed to clean out the dead wood and change its direction.

2. Smithy as it would appear should have communicated this to the players at the beginning of the pre season to put all players on notice what is the direction of the club and what he proposes to do.

3. Smithy should have communicated with the players especially as the season progresses as how they are performing, where they stood with the club and timelines to lift their game.

4. Where they missed the benchmark by the required timeline, Smithy should have communicated what was going to happen to them on a one on one basis.

I am not saying Smithy didn't undertake this approach but from reports it would appear the players were unaware of the direction the club was heading.

THe direction of the club is the right one but the approach would appear that it should have been handled so much better by Smithy.

Communication is the key in dealing with individuals and effective communication can reduce a signficant amount of angst and in the knights case, alleviate a considerable amount of apparent low morale in the club.

Alex28

Coach
Unfortunately Smith only had a short timeframe to assess players this season and had some ego's who felt they owned a position within the club rather than having to earn one.

We don't really know how Smith handled this - we only have the opinions of:

* News Limited Tabloid Press who have an obvious bias against Brian Smith;
* Player leaders like Danny Buderus and Steve Simpson who are out to protect the careers of their mates and aren't necessarily thinking of the future of the club;
* Ex-players like Clint Newton who walked out of the club because he didn't get his own way (said ego as mentioned previously); and
* Old Boys like Tony Butterfield who have their collective heads in the sand and do not realise that the old way is not the right way in the modern game.

Everyone seems to have their own agenda and are putting the most important thing last in all of their thoughts - the future performance of the club.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
If you were told that you werent wanted in an organisation, what would you do knowing that no matter what you do the decision wont be reversed? Clint done what anyone would've done, and just remember Brian did the exact thing to Parra when he was told he wasn't wanted so it's rather hypacritical.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
I still dont know why people believe Newcastle needed a clean out? sure if they came last or weren't competitive fair enough, but they were last year.

Alex28

Coach
Ron Jeremy said:
If you were told that you werent wanted in an organisation, what would you do knowing that no matter what you do the decision wont be reversed? Clint done what anyone would've done, and just remember Brian did the exact thing to Parra when he was told he wasn't wanted so it's rather hypacritical.
Josh Perry and Adam Woolnough were man enough to stay around...

I don't know enough about the internal circumstances in regards to Smith's exit. However I would suggest running a club is a bit different to being a bit player within the club and you probably aren't comparing apples with apples...

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Alex28 said:
Josh Perry and Adam Woolnough were man enough to stay around...

I don't know enough about the internal circumstances in regards to Smith's exit. However I would suggest running a club is a bit different to being a bit player within the club and you probably aren't comparing apples with apples...

That's them though, they probably wanted to leave, Clint obviously didn't and loved the place.

It makes no difference, they are both part of an organisation, Brian the team leader, Clint the employee, both leaving early affects the org as an whole, systems approach;-)

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Alex though, what would you do if you were told you weren't wanted? you'd look at your options right?

Maybe Perry would've but Manly didn't have it in there cap?

aqua_duck

Coach
Ron Jeremy said:
That's them though, they probably wanted to leave, Clint obviously didn't and loved the place.

It makes no difference, they are both part of an organisation, Brian the team leader, Clint the employee, both leaving early affects the org as an whole, systems approach;-)
He loved th fat paychecks he got here and that he wouldn't get anywhere else.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
aqua_duck said:
He loved th fat paychecks he got here and that he wouldn't get anywhere else.
You didn't rate him? Melbourne did and they're coming first and the benchmark of recruitment.