What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The punch that cost the Sharks $20,000 - Zappia stands down

Michaelson

Juniors
This site is great.

I mean, everyone has their biases, but watching people around here flail about and try to rationalise every new bit of media coverage in a way that gives the NRL and its players the benefit of the doubt... well, its amazing.

4 Corners report: hatchet job. A Current Affair/Today Tonight hearsay interviews: compelling evidence.

Clare's distress: bung on and motivated by an agenda. Matty Johns' distress: oh so moving.

If players engage in consensual group sex then it's their prerogative and no one else's place to judge them. Charmayne Palavai is a dirty s**t, though, and her claim that she was raped by an NRL star is either bullsh*t or doesn't matter because she's loose/ugly.

Woman at Sharks club gets punched in the face and paid $20k hush money: "Can't you guys read, it was a mistake! The guy who did it and paid for it to be covered up says so!"

I mean, seriously, rugby league is a great game and I hope to christ it doesn't die, but its cause is not helped at all by its fans sticking their heads in the sand. Between the 2002 incident, Coffs Harbour, the Gasnier/Mason (I think) abusive text messages from a State of Origin bonding session a few years ago, Dane Tilse, Greg Bird, Anthony Watmough, Brett Stewart, Balmain-Ryde reserves team, and the culture at the Sharks written about in this story (and I'm sure others incidents that I can't remember off the top of my head right now)... maybe, just maybe, it's worth considering that the NRL has a problem with its players getting sh*tfaced and treating women like property rather than people.

Is that a problem confined to the NRL? Of course not. But that doesn't make it any less of a problem.

As long as the fans of the game continue to rationalise away every bad news story because they're so petrified about rugby league taking a public relations hit then things will never improve, and the perception of rugby league fans as simple minded troglodytes will continue as well.

Last edited:

eagles4eva

First Grade
Will make it difficult to retain fans or even get new fans while they keep getting in the media for all the wrong reasons, It's now a media witchhunt,

spider

Coach
Re the black eye: if it was all an accident, you'd have to wonder why the club felt the need to pay $20k (unless I suppose it was just accrued entitlements when she left).
Interesting to see how long Hall was an employee? Seemingly a large payout for a short serving staff member Orr had she been there a while.

I wonder if confidentiality agreements are entered into these days when ugly scenarios arise in the work place. Orr was it an amicable separation.

Will never know unless Hall speaks out Orr someone else does.

coolumsharkie

Referee
Interesting to see how long Hall was an employee? Seemingly a large payout for a short serving staff member Orr had she been there a while.

I wonder if confidentiality agreements are entered into these days when ugly scenarios arise in the work place. Orr was it an amicable separation.

Will never know unless Hall speaks out Orr someone else does.

lol

God-King Dean

Immortal
What did the 5 fingers say to the face ?

What ?

SLAP !

HAHA, I'm Zappia b**ch ! KING KONG AIN'T GOT sh*t ON ME !

deluded pom?

Coach
This site is great.

I mean, everyone has their biases, but watching people around here flail about and try to rationalise every new bit of media coverage in a way that gives the NRL and its players the benefit of the doubt... well, its amazing.

4 Corners report: hatchet job. A Current Affair/Today Tonight hearsay interviews: compelling evidence.

Clare's distress: bung on and motivated by an agenda. Matty Johns' distress: oh so moving.

If players engage in consensual group sex then it's their prerogative and no one else's place to judge them. Charmayne Palavai is a dirty s**t, though, and her claim that she was raped by an NRL star is either bullsh*t or doesn't matter because she's loose/ugly.

Woman at Sharks club gets punched in the face and paid $20k hush money: "Can't you guys read, it was a mistake! The guy who did it and paid for it to be covered up says so!"

I mean, seriously, rugby league is a great game and I hope to christ it doesn't die, but its cause is not helped at all by its fans sticking their heads in the sand. Between the 2002 incident, Coffs Harbour, the Gasnier/Mason (I think) abusive text messages from a State of Origin bonding session a few years ago, Dane Tilse, Greg Bird, Anthony Watmough, Brett Stewart, Balmain-Ryde reserves team, and the culture at the Sharks written about in this story (and I'm sure others incidents that I can't remember off the top of my head right now)... maybe, just maybe, it's worth considering that the NRL has a problem with its players getting sh*tfaced and treating women like property rather than people.

Is that a problem confined to the NRL? Of course not. But that doesn't make it any less of a problem.

As long as the fans of the game continue to rationalise away every bad news story because they're so petrified about rugby league taking a public relations hit then things will never improve, and the perception of rugby league fans as simple minded troglodytes will continue as well.

The fall out reaches us here in the UK too. These stories turn up on the BBC news pages. The BBC usually couldn't give two fecks about a positive rugby league related story but jump on any negative stuff, here or elsewhere. Casual observers then get a very negative image of a great sport. I'm afraid it's time the players realise that with more money and more media interest in what they do away from the playing field comes more responsibility to the image of the game. If they can't stand the heat then get out of the kitchen.

t1tan

Juniors
This site is great.

Mate i agree 100%.

But El Diablo will tell you that the AFL is worse so its ok to ignore the problems the NRL has.

Top post.

I heard Ray Hadley say that Channel 7 had a 'bombshell" of a story that would rock the NRL on tonight's news. He said that he could not get confirmation on the topic of the story from Channel 7 yet but would follow it up.

Anyone hear anything about this, or could shed some more light on it? I have searched around and come up with nothing.

Dutchy

Immortal
Probably an exclusive on the poor language of RL players and how it is detrimental on Modern Society.

Glenn

First Grade
Some Seven "exclusive", they had promo on earlier today...Can't wait to see what the Seven hacks dredge up now in the name of news. :sarcasm:

Ausguy

Coach
i saw brett seymour in the TAB at sharks leagues last week... dont tell me channel 7 saw him to.... :)