What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Punk/Hardcore/Emo/Ska Show Thread

Red Bear

Referee
Saw Propagandhi last night, very very good, so f**king tight. Pretty good setlist, although would've loved more than just one song from How to Clean Everything, although I guess they covered that CD when they toured for the first time in 11 years last time.

Lungs were really good as a support band as well I thought. Shame, mid-late 90's punk bands could make it to a reasonable level, eg Frenzal Rhomb would play main stage at BDO/Homebake, ditto bodyjar and a few others. Now days most of them are long gone and Frenzal sell out shows, but the crowd hasnt changed in 5 years+. They dont get that same exposure. Sure, short.fast.loud gets bands played between 10-1am once a week but they dont get played at a normal hour (in part because of this show IMO), JJJ preferring 7000 indie bands, 6000 electro acts, 5000 aus hip-hop acts and occasionally folky shite, with a token NOFX song thrown in every now and again.

Red Bear

Referee
Frenzal Rhomb recording at present. Been chuckling at the list of potential (or not so potential) album titles from twitter

- New record is a concept album about boxer shorts. It's called "strictly ballroom".
- New record is a concept album about @shortfastloud called "stupid harvey".
- New record is a concept album about mad abs, shit songs and snacks. It's called "peter entree".
- New record is a concept album about being ill and grunge music. It's called "are you feeling eddie vedder?"
- New record is a concept album about short canadian punk bands. It's called "gnomemeansgnome"
- New record is a concept record about how great we are at watersports. It's called "anything you canoe, i canoe better"

Red Bear

Referee
Frenzal Rhomb have a new album out August 19 called Smoko at the Pet Food Factory, and are touring with teenage bottlerocket first ten days or so of September

Aaron_sfas

Juniors
anberlin playing the enmore 1st of september.

Stephen Christian is the best live vocalist I have ever seen. fantastic band

natheel

Coach
Frenzal Rhomb have a new album out August 19 called Smoko at the Pet Food Factory, and are touring with teenage bottlerocket first ten days or so of September

New album is awesome news but tour with tbr is even better news :)

skeepe

Immortal
Just got my tickets for the No Use For a Name/Frenzal Rhomb double bill at the ANU. Can't f**king wait.

It's pretty funny actually, feels like this year I've seen a hell of a lot of bands that I grew up listening to, ones I thought would probably never tour again... Iron Maiden, Mad Caddies, Millencolin, Social Distortion, Less Than Jake, Jebediah, now NUFAN and Frenzal. What next, Nancy Vandal or One Dollar Short?

natheel

Coach
Just got my tickets for the No Use For a Name/Frenzal Rhomb double bill at the ANU. Can't f**king wait.

It's pretty funny actually, feels like this year I've seen a hell of a lot of bands that I grew up listening to, ones I thought would probably never tour again... Iron Maiden, Mad Caddies, Millencolin, Social Distortion, Less Than Jake, Jebediah, now NUFAN and Frenzal. What next, Nancy Vandal or One Dollar Short?

Nancy vandal r awesome live saw them with frenzal a few years back

A mate msg me today saying Bodyjar playing at the Gaelic club on 23rd July. Not sure if bullshit but I'll be going if its true

Red Bear

Referee
Yeah that is happening, tickets on the door only I think. They played a show in Melbourne recently as well.

BLKOUT!

Juniors
I'm in a gig-lull. All of the mates I've got who are into this kind of music are kinda over going to shows and won't spend more than like $15 on tickets to anything, and I don't really want to go on my own so I'm missing tonnes of gigs/bands I want to see because of them. So frustrating, they are too young to be acting so old.

I have the same problem. We used to have a group of 8-10 that would go to shows. Now theirs only 3 of us. We are only 24-25 I don't understand the rush to grow up.
One of my mates favourite bands are The Bouncing Souls. He has never seen them so I shouted a ticket and said id pay for his drinks all night. Then at 5 o'clock that arvo he backed out saying he was too tired.....weak

BLKOUT!

Juniors
My mates and I are the same age too, 24-25. I've thought about doing something like that, buying people tickets so they have no excuses but it just winds up being too much money. I want to see Balance & Composure, The Casualties, The Heartbound Tour and Rise Against (though I think it's sold out now) but if I was to buy tickets for me and even just one mate I'm looking at like $350-$400. Annoys me that we can randomly go out to dinner and people will spend $50 on a meal but don't want to pay $40-$60 to see a band.

Yeah, ive always been the one in my friends group that likes Punk/Hardcore. So its difficult to get someone to go to a show with me, I find people to go and then they get girlfriends/boyfriends and stop coming. I just dont give a f**k anymore, If noone comes with me, I still go, if the band is good enough. I did it for H20 in Sydney and I'll likely do it for Anberlin in Sydney.

As for Nancy Vandal, I saw that at sounds of spring in 09, they were fun. Would love to see ODS again.

zombie jesus

Staff member
One Dollar Short are around again? Massive f**king lol.

Game Over should do some shit again.

Latest posts