What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rd 1 thread: Raiders @ Manly *Team named*

aussies1st

Staff member
One can only watch and see how Purtell goes now, hopefully Henry has taught him how to score.

woodgers

Bench
I've seen Purt's around a bit lately. He looks a lot bigger and fitter than last year. I'm interested to see how he goes actually.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
The side looks good, however I wouldn't mind seeing an outside back on the bench. An injury to one of the halves could be covered easily with both Dunny and Zilly but if one of our outside backs get injured we only have Dunneman to cover that spot.

raidersforme

Juniors
Zillman to thrill as Weyman and Howell chill
Sam Worthington
space.gif

Injured pair Michael Weyman and David Howell have been ruled out of the Canberra Raiders' round one squad to play the Manly Sea Eagles at Brookvale Oval on Saturday night. Rookie Raiders coach Neil Henry yesterday named an 18-man squad to travel to Sydney on Friday to prepare for the match, notable for the inclusion of exciting 20-year-old William Zillman at fullback.
The attacking selection of Zillman shifts utility Marshall Chalk to the centres in the absence of Howell, who was not deemed match ready after recovering from a quad tear.
Injury-plagued prop Weyman was ruled out after aggravating a troublesome quad strain at training on Monday.
Henry said Weyman would now target the round three match against the Newcastle Knights.

The coach plumped for using the lighter Zillman at fullback, as opposed to the 97kg Chalk, who could offer a more robust style at centre.
"[Zillman's] a great runner of the ball and he does get out of dummy half a bit for us," Henry said.
"So being able to play out of the middle third is a bit better for him and it probably takes him out of the defensive line too, with the positional play at centre which he's not accustomed to."
Henry has given Zillman a licence to thrill, the former Junior Kangaroo plotting to sniff around the Raiders' pack for off-loads.
"I want to be around the ball all night and just pushing up in support and that's the best way to get my hands on the ball," Zillman said.
The Queenslander made three first-grade appearances last year, filling the boots of departed custodian Clinton Schifcofske.
Zillman hoped to cement a regular position as the Raiders' fullback.
"Clinton was a superstar and I think I got one or two games when he was injured, so that was good for me, just to play a little bit and get a bit of exposure coming into this year," he said.
"I thought with Clinton Schifcofske leaving there was a gap there so I sort of thought during the preseason it was an option for me to play there.
"I like playing fullback, I played a little bit last year and I like the space that you get to run, so I wanted it."
Henry, who has promised a more attacking approach than predecessor Matt Elliott, said he was eagerly awaiting his first match as an NRL head coach.
"I'm not nervous yet but I'm sure I will be at Brookvale Oval," Henry said.

"I'm looking forward to it, like the players are, it's an exciting time of the year."
Off-season recruits Colin Best, Glen Turner, Matt Bickerstaff, Andrew Dunemann, Scott Logan and Neville Costigan will make their Raiders' NRL debuts on Saturday.
Fullback Bronx Goodwin, who is recovering from a broken arm, is scheduled to be available for selection in round three against the Knights.
Manly yesterday named star recruit Jamie Lyon at five-eighth for the Raiders match.

http://canberra.yourguide.com.au/de... league&story_id=565587&category=Rugby League

Hurry up Saturday i can't wait

thickos

First Grade
In 1 week, Henry has done what Elliott couldn't do in 5 years... name a team that is nearly universally praised by Raiders fans :lol:

How good is it gonna be to see an attacking style... can't wait to see Zillman and Graham lurking waiting for an off-load or short ball up the middle through tiring forwards. :D

Considering it's Dobson's debut and Carney in the 6 (as first choice) for the first time, I wonder if someone else will mark Lyon in defence. He will want to star on debut for them, I'd get Chalky or Tongue or some hard hitter in defence to mark him like crazy.

woodgers

Bench
Music to my ears :D

I think Henry has got it spot on. Zilly is better running into space. If the forwards get on top then he will get his chances. TR and Dubby said that Chalk was very hard to stop close to the line in the trials, therefore centres seems the more logical place to put him.

I like it so much, i've got $50 head to head on them at Centrebet where they are paying $5!

Mal Meninga

Bench
Mullins_y2k said:
True but some rocks score more tries than him as there faster!
No attacking skill, touch and go in defense but great under the bomb Howell slaughters him
Too many people are focusing on his earlier games. Watch the last few games and you see remarkable improvement, the notable being the finals game where he was probably our best player. Howell's been around the first grade side for years now, this is his 3rd or 4th year now in first grade, and he's no where near the standard that Elliot has pegged him.

Macko8

Juniors
thickos said:
In 1 week, Henry has done what Elliott couldn't do in 5 years... name a team that is nearly universally praised by Raiders fans :lol:

How good is it gonna be to see an attacking style... can't wait to see Zillman and Graham lurking waiting for an off-load or short ball up the middle through tiring forwards. :D

Considering it's Dobson's debut and Carney in the 6 (as first choice) for the first time, I wonder if someone else will mark Lyon in defence. He will want to star on debut for them, I'd get Chalky or Tongue or some hard hitter in defence to mark him like crazy.

Im looking very forward to watching costigan saturday night,hopefully he brings the same aggresivness and his workaholic style of play to the raiders.
I wanna see someone put a shoulder on watmough and perhaps costigan can mark lyon when he gets his chance to shine thickos.

peter_raiders

Juniors
The Backline has a license to thrill. Costigan, Withers and co have a license to kill. Those two especially should be watching Orford and Lyon, waiting for the right moment to knock them senseless.

thickos

First Grade
Costigan's on the bench though, and Lyon will be important early.

I call on the mighty 'lord of the rednuts' to mark the new Manly #6 :D

dubby

Bench
I look forward to more second phase play and support runners around the ruck. I feel that is where Manly are most vulnerable. Their forwards are not very mobile and last year they were caught out by teams that could pop passes and get outside their lummox like forwards. With no BK they lack that direction and workhorse to lift them as well.

Manly are still settling in with Lyon. IMHO this guy is good, but not the magician everyone thinks he is. He carved up in the ESL. SO what. So did DObbo and Dunny! Yet no one mentions them.

Look out "Killa", you will have the likes of Tonguey and Costigan around to knock you off your little perch, not too mention Chalk who hits like a sledge hammer in defence.

Chachi

Bench
raidersforme said:
"[Zillman's] a great runner of the ball and he does get out of dummy half a bit for us," Henry said.
"So being able to play out of the middle third is a bit better for him and it probably takes him out of the defensive line too, with the positional play at centre which he's not accustomed to."
Henry has given Zillman a licence to thrill, the former Junior Kangaroo plotting to sniff around the Raiders' pack for off-loads.
"I want to be around the ball all night and just pushing up in support and that's the best way to get my hands on the ball," Zillman said.
Henry, who has promised a more attacking approach than predecessor Matt Elliott, said he was eagerly awaiting his first match as an NRL head coach.
"I'm not nervous yet but I'm sure I will be at Brookvale Oval," Henry said.
"I'm looking forward to it, like the players are, it's an exciting time of the year."
Seriously, how good is it to hear things like that!?!

I know saying it is one thing and doing it is another, but I'm more than happy that Henry has identified our obvious strengths and is developing the team in that direction from round 1. And once we get guys like TLL and Weyman firing look out.

I've said it many times, we may get hammered now and again (even this weekend) but I haven't been this pumped for a season in 10 years.

willvillain

Juniors
On what f*cking planet is Graham a better player than Matai?

Graham might be underrated, sure, but THAT underrated? No thanks. I'd take Matai in my team.

Raider_69

Post Whore
tonguey will be glued to lyon like sh*t stains on a dodgey st mary's brothel's matress
then we apply the pressure to orford and watch him crack

BSB Raiderman

Juniors
:roll: Interesting that the mods in here allow negative comments from other teams fans but when I mentioned Penriths lack of front row depth and Elliott's favourites policy my post is deleted from the panthers boards

skeepe

Immortal
Panthers mods are a bunch of precious narks.

Oh and anyone who would take Matai over Graham as a centre has taken one knock to the head too many.

Raider_69

Post Whore
BSB Raiderman said:
:roll: Interesting that the mods in here allow negative comments from other teams fans but when I mentioned Penriths lack of front row depth and Elliott's favourites policy my post is deleted from the panthers boards

its very typical of penrith fans
they are allll about dishing it without wanting to take it, and that extends right throughout their fan based, not just here at LU. I have grown up with these people, needless to say my opinionated, baited style doesnt not sit well with them :lol: