What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The real World Game

screeny

Bench
ruggabugga,

I don't quite know what to say! You're not anti-league.......the 'skills' concerning possession have gone......I'm.....I'm flabbergasted.

If you honestly don't think your three or four posts above aren't woefully ill-informed, biased and overtly anti-league then you need to see a shrink.

screeny

Bench
Polynesian Warrior said:
carlnz said:
get over yourslef Polynesian Warrior, since when was Rugby Cook Islands national sport? And you think Rugby is Tonga's national sport..think again...League has caught right up to it and now Soccer is paying the big bucks in TONGA!

End of the day your a fool
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Best Dream post of the year award goes to carlnz ------------------------ And you think Rugby is Tonga's national sport..think again...League has caught right up to it and now Soccer is paying the big bucks in TONGA!

[-o&lt, post: [-o&lt, member: [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< Can you honestly think you can fool everyone here with that sort of post carlnz ? Soon you will be saying that soccer is the national sport of Fiji and Samoa .

Thats right carlnz I heard that Sione Lauaki and his NZ Warriors brother Epalahame have sign a 2 million dollars contract to play for Haapai Manchester United soccer team base in remote villiage in the Haapai region .
And the Sione Beckham led national team beat the Olyroos and the All White to qualify into the next world cup in Germany ..[/quote"]

PW, until you've mastered a basic grasp of the two codes I'm sure you'd agree that your opinion is worth nothing more than a club RU ticket in Wales, Ireland or Scotland.

So, let's see: which of the two codes has more running and tackling?

I've been asking you this question for months now but you still haven't been able to work out the answer.

Until you've watched enough of either code then please keep your opinions to yourself as they're worthless, there's a good man.

carlnz

Bench
Polynesian Warrior said:
carlnz said:
get over yourslef Polynesian Warrior, since when was Rugby Cook Islands national sport? And you think Rugby is Tonga's national sport..think again...League has caught right up to it and now Soccer is paying the big bucks in TONGA!

End of the day your a fool
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Best Dream post of the year award goes to carlnz ------------------------ And you think Rugby is Tonga's national sport..think again...League has caught right up to it and now Soccer is paying the big bucks in TONGA!

[-o&lt, post: [-o&lt, member: [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< Can you honestly think you can fool everyone here with that sort of post carlnz ? Soon you will be saying that soccer is the national sport of Fiji and Samoa .

Thats right carlnz I heard that Sione Lauaki and his NZ Warriors brother Epalahame have sign a 2 million dollars contract to play for Haapai Manchester United soccer team base in remote villiage in the Haapai region .
And the Sione Beckham led national team beat the Olyroos and the All White to qualify into the next world cup in Germany ..[/quote"]

To show what a pathetic fool you are...ask FATBOB....he was speaking to a former Tongan International League player (who happens to be a bouncer in brisbane now) and he said that back home Soccer is the only sport that is throughing money around for kids to play.....Its taking over....

You are a fool who has nothing better to do but go on League forums and cause problems.....its ok to be wrong Polynesian nice person..

taipan

Referee
Polynesian Warrior said:
taipan said:
Polynesian Warrior said:
taipan said:
Polynesian Warrior said:
screeny said:
We have the name rugby league now and changing would be an admission of weakness in my opinion. It would take a PR coup the sizeof which I'm not sure RL is capable of pulling off to change names AND convince the public it's because we don't want to be tarnished with the sh*t that is RU.

Personally, too many of league's stalwart warriors over the past 100-years would be betrayed if we gave up on the name now, too. It's difficult but I'm for keeping the name and letting the public choose.

RU's slowly changing into RL as it knows its product is crud by comparison. This is the only long term chance RU has.

Rugby Union is still rugby union and will be a million years more. Rugby League is still rugby league and will be a million years more .

Rugby Union has improved 100% than what it was 50 years ago . You guys can tell me what percentage league has improve since 50 years ago ?
The only thing I could think off is Warriors , London , Brisbane and Melbourne + Origins .

Lets see hmmm Russia,Serbia,Lebanon,New Caledonia,soon to be Georgia
,and the West Indies,an increase to 10 teams in the US,a much improved French national team,the growth of rugby league in Wales in particular,Ireland with 12 teams in conferences,a lesser growth in Scotland in junior levels,a 60% increase in the number of players in UK in the past few years.BTW rugby union 100 years ago in Oz was larger than league,it sure as hell aint now.The NRL competition now 15 teams,(rest assured 16 teams will be announced next year) compared to 8 teams decades ago. Do your sums PW there is plenty of percentage increase both locally and internationally in rugby league,like a true union man you might find these facts a little distrubing.

Taipan ! If you are a rugby union fan or a fan of both codes then you will compare rugby union 50 years ago to this day .
All those league playing countries you mention also have union . The spread of rugby union has surprise those on the IRB board .
The word now is which countries haven't got rugby union ?
The truth is rugby union is now played all over the world it is hard to think of which nations haven't got a comp .
Fifty years ago only the main nations were playing test matches . Now there are test matches beign played in every corner of the world .
The RWC , U21 & U19 world cups , Womens world cup , 7s world cup , and the Commonwelth Games .
Rugby Union is now more healthy than it was fifty years ago . And we are not even talking about club rugby here .

PW I am not arguing that union is not more healthy today than it was 50 years ago, i am replying to your silly comments that rugby league intimating has hardly improved in that period.I responded by giving you the latest info which says it has.end of story.I wouldnt throw club rugby in here , the crowds are deplorable compared to twentyyears ago.
i am aware of union being played in over 100 countries,but the simple fact is like the new countries taking up rugby league,the number of teams and players in the vast majority of those countries is so tiny,that the populations in general hardly if at all knows of its existence.
Despite all the years that have gone by,union is the national code only in NZ and losing to soccer in Wales that mantle,soccer is the main code in Sth Arica,although union has the profile.rugby league is the national code of PNG with a population bigger than NZ.So PW maybe neither code should brag too much.I am still waiting for confirmation of the 6billion tv viewers who were supposed to miraculously materialise in the union world cup of 2004,courtesy of Mr John O'Neill MA institute of HYPE.

Club rugby has always been played in front of small numbers of local supporters .
But it is the provincial and state level that rugby look after really well and this let to rugby union being look after by their national body(ARU/NZRFU/SARFU) .
Rugby league is run by clubs and they decide where players go to tours or use money to blackmail them .

Der Kaiser I know about the German rugby union and Im not saying that they were millionaires but i do know that they have a good club structure with Jrs and they host Canada not long ago .
My two cousins play club rugby in Holland and they said it is a well run and well sponsor and its not as big as soccer but its there .
Now don't try to compare German and Holland rugby union who has local a comp with local players and strong Jrs developments .
How can you compare that to America Samoa league, Samoa league, Italy and Greece rugby league where there's no local comp but they play international league made up of players from Auckland and suburb Sydney .
Your rugby union brain is very limited taipan because rugby union is the national sport of NZ ,South Africa , Wales and most of the Pacific nations .
Whoever told you that Wales is now a soccer country must have the same hate you have of rugby union .
Australia's national sport is cricket and you don't see people flock to watch the Pura Milk cup etc .
That same goes for Wales rugby at the moment and people are still not use to the Celtic league .
Ask any Welshman who their heroes are and they will tell you one of many rugby legends not some soccer players born and live in England .
So Taipan the Wallabies played in front of 8000 fans 50 years ago and players have to pay their own transport and expenses .
Fifty years later and they are now well off and played in front large stadiums with large TV audience .

PW I dont know what you are on about you came on saying that union has improved 100% over the years,what has league done or words to that effect.
I am saying to get through to you that in Wales the national game has gone backwards,huge debt,huge inroads of soccer and yes they do get big crowds at internationals,that hasnt happened in NZ.In the Pacific Islands to be a liittle more accommodating sure rugby union is the national code,however they now have to share the islands sports with league and or AFL,so they now have more competition for the youth.In Japan the recent test results have shown that something has happened to the standard,as it appears to have gone backwards.
In australia the crowd at the semi final of the 1987 world cup was 17,000 odd,I watched the game on TV(whether you believe that or not doesnt matter).The unions test crowds have improved dramatically,and the s12 has been a huge success.However club rugby union has really been hit hard,the TV ratings in sydney are almost non existent on the ABC,and it is club union officials who are complaining about the treatment they get from the controlling body,not me PW.Your code is more high profile in Oz than before.I am still looking for the 6billion people who were to watch the wc.There have been plusses as well as minuses.
You question leagues growth ask the new teams in Russia,Serbia,USA,Ireland,Wales and Scotland and England.Ask the 10% increase in junior playing numbers in Australia this year,ask the organisers of the financially successful tri series which was ridiculed by union people in Sydney,ask the increase in fans who attended NRL games this season,ask the TV stations of the TV ratings for free to air and pay TV in Oz,ask the crowds (record) who attended SOO),ask the 239,000 TV viewers who watched on TV the final of the Qld cup ,ask the promoters of the 2008 WC which would not have been attempted 10 years ago,ask the West Indies and Singaporean and Georgian youth who want to play rugby league as early as next year .
League has failed to get up in south africa that is a minus,but to infer that nothing much has happpened in rugby league,shows you either dont care about the game or dont know.That is the sort of dumb biased argument that league supporters have to put up with in the media,that the game is in NSW Qld,NTh Island NZ and Nthn England which may have been the case 15 years ago .

taipan

Referee
PW I dont know why you brought aids into the argument in PNG.I know its a major problem,but let me tell you its a huge problem in south africa also,why didnt you mentiion that.What the hell that has to do with this thread anyway -pathetic mate.

iggy plop

First Grade
Polynesian Warrior said:
Polynesian Warrior said:
Moffo said:
really, when in 2004 did a rugby international have 100,000 attend?

or 2003

or 2002

or 2001

eh, eh???

If I can remember right Moffo Telstra Stadium or Stadium Australia had a capacity of more than 100,000 before it was reduce to just over 80,000 and the Bledisloe games were all sold out in Sydney .

eh , eh

And since you think Im lying then Im happy to say this to you my friend .
If NZ , South Africa , Sydney , Brisbane , Cardiff , London and Paris had stadiums over 100,000 capacity . I bet you wouldn't be asking me this question again because rugby doesn't have a problem getting fans to fill this big stadiums to their major internationals .

Shit pencil. Turd Pen. Poop Crayon.

Did you know club crowds in France average 4,000? Club yawn crowds and Scotland Wales and Ireland are laughable at best. It's not that hard for yawn fans to turn up for a couple of tests a year to pack out a big stadium when that's all they attend.

Big world game. :lol:

Claiming Yawnion as being the national sport of south africa is a downright disgrace. The far greater black community may just vote for the round ball game. By a couple of million maybe. They play it, watch it and attend it. Yawnion is a white minority sport with big media pull over there.

iggy plop

First Grade
The top 125 football leagues in the world by crowd average. The league and yawn club comps that made it.

League - 16th NRL AUS (14,886)
Yawnion - 22nd Currie Cup SA (11,394)
Yawnion - 33rd Premier division Eng (8,108)
League - 34th English S League (8041)
Yawnion - 50th Celtic League (5, 869)
YAwnion - 66th France Division One (4,082)
YAwnion - 67th UK (Wales) Celtic League (4, 065)
League - 68th PNG National Championship (3,919)
YAwnion- 94th Ireland (2,378)
League - 97th Russia First championship (2,331)
Yawnion - 98th UK (scottish) (2,300)
League - 100th NZ (Bartercard Cup) (2,290)
League - 104th French Elite One (2, 118)
Yawnion - 117th French Div 2 (1,451)
League - 118th English Div 1 (1, 435)
Yawnion - 120th English National league 1 (1,408)
League - 121st - Queensland Cup
YAwnion - 123rd - Canadian Super League (1,296)

Note* Only domestic pro and semi pro football leagues are included. Regional, international or college leagues are not included. eg. Euro championship leagues, Atlantic League US football, Super 12 yawnion, State of Origin ( r. league), Irish gaelic football.

Yawnion average clubs crowds in Ireland average 2,378, Wales, (4,065), Scotland 2,300, France 4,000. Supposedly big yawnion nations. :lol:

iggy plop

First Grade
YANTO said:
Polynesian Warrior Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:07 am

My two cousins play club rugby in Holland and they said it is a well run and well sponsor and its not as big as soccer but its there

PW which club do your cousins play for? (Genuine interest here,is it RC Castricumse??)
Dutch RU is there but outside the top 2 or 3 clubs the rest are no more than "Pub teams" mate.
The top club has a base of around ten Kiwi players who qualify to play through the resident rule.
Club number 2 has a majority of Dutch players but have struggled to put out a reserve team this year.

You say that there is a strong junior development in Holland..........its a joke mate .....the development class is made up of teams filled with old players playing socially and is not geared up for developing players,the junior divisions are getting smaller each year with clubs having to merge their junior sections in order to put out teams.

I appriciate your concern for all things relating to the game put please check your facts before commenting on a country on the other side of the world.

How do I know ?
Because I coach one of the so called "Ereklasse Clubs" in the biggest city in Holland and its a struggle to put fifteen players on the park every week.

Yawnion is no differnent to AFL in some of these countries in which they claim to 'play' the game. The Dutch AFL is probably of a better standard than the Dutch yawn comp.

iggy plop

First Grade
[quote="carlnz]
You are a fool who has nothing better to do but go on League forums and cause problems.....its ok to be wrong Polynesian nice person..[/quote]

He (PW) is better known as the Turd Pen. He prefers it actually.

carlnz

Bench
iggy plop said:
[quote="carlnz]
You are a fool who has nothing better to do but go on League forums and cause problems.....its ok to be wrong Polynesian nice person..

He (PW) is better known as the Turd Pen. He prefers it actually.[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

inertia666

Juniors
iggy plop said:
The top 125 football leagues in the world by crowd average. The league and yawn club comps that made it.

Note* Only domestic pro and semi pro football leagues are included. Regional, international or college leagues are not included. eg. Euro championship leagues, Atlantic League US football, Super 12 yawnion, State of Origin ( r. league), Irish gaelic football.

Yawnion average clubs crowds in Ireland average 2,378, Wales, (4,065), Scotland 2,300, France 4,000. Supposedly big yawnion nations. :lol:

average crowd per match - don't make me laugh. so you have one club that satisfies 20,000 fans on a regular basis and another where 5 turn up per week , to me that makes for an unfactual basis.

i bet these figures for any aren't weighted in the least.

average is a word i hate in terms of mathematics. its like comparing the heights of the boys in 2 classes from different schools and class 1 having a 3 inch taller average cos they have a 7ft 5 monster
:lol:

iggy plop

First Grade
inertia666 said:
iggy plop said:

average crowd per match - don't make me laugh. so you have one club that satisfies 20,000 fans on a regular basis and another where 5 turn up per week , to me that makes for an unfactual basis.

i bet these figures for any aren't weighted in the least.

average is a word i hate in terms of mathematics. its like comparing the heights of the boys in 2 classes from different schools and class 1 having a 3 inch taller average cos they have a 7ft 5 monster
:lol:

Stop laughing clown.

Read the facts. http://www.geocities.com/worldfootballrankings2004/Top125Leagues.html

yawnion is not the big world game it claims to be. Some very poor average crowds in countries where yawnion is supposed to be 'massive'. :lol: Now that's funny. :lol:

inertia666

Juniors
mate, when the f**k did i mention "yawnion"?

i just said the stats were laughable.

if you want to take it to league union level (boring) then i would agree that its not on a week by week domestic comp basis. Unions strength is the "average" attendance of internationals and it beats league hands down. sorry to say.

you can't argue when the final of the tri nations brings in 25,000 to a 70,000 sell out crowd for England at twickenham against any of the big 4. or 50,000 in scotland at murrayfield during the 6 nations or packed out lansdown road.

Thats a fact whether you like it or not.

being a big baby scrimping for any figures you can find to boost league and discredit union isn't doing us any favours at all. Don't be so tiring. All you do is make us league fans look disillusional and laughable,

When teams like ENgland can spend millions on their world cup campaign then I think we ALL know where the money is.

Now domestic league vs domestic Union - i can't say whats "bigger" but it doesn't really matter.

inertia666

Juniors
let's take this to another level where , in a previous thread, i was trying to distinguish between localisation of a popular sport and the globisation of it (in terms of tv ratings and match attendance to indiciate how large a sport is).

As a league fan is it more important to you that lots and lots of countries play League and the international scene is dead forever or less nations play it domestically and there are a larger number of high quality international teams to play against?

To be honest, i couldn't care much for all the minnow nations having a domestic game unless it's truly in the build up to playing regular international test matches. There's not much fun in it for us if there's no internationals if you come from GB, Aus and NZ, doesnt matter how many sides take up the sport in their country. We need test matches.

Of course, a domestic league helps fundamentally to field an international side but in league its not strong.

There are more international union fans supportting the country and have no domestic team. I'm one of them! It's the same in league. I have no team to identify with except GB. To make the game grow you need more people like me willing to show interest in the game without having a team identity (usually team identity is built from where you live or where born etc who you're father support...whatever).

American Football is a massive game in America but outside America it means nothing. Regardless of the average home crowd attendance at an NFL game who cares about it outside the states? Not that many. we dont talk about it at lunch break at work or when i was at school or university.

You don't see a proper "america" team queing up to play any of the european american football "internationals". It's just not a serious game outside the US. SO what - you can show me average match crowd size and go on about what a great game it is compared to Union or league - dont make me laugh.

My point is - Union has something severly lacking in League and thats the abililty to enjoy the game and just care about the international scene. that puts money into the game however you look at it.

Average home game crowd sizes are not a true indication of whats going on out there .