What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Really NSW 2011 thread that will be hated by all!

Mong

Post Whore
Maybe, but you don't put that together in a couple of weeks....Saints worked at it for 2 years under arguably the best coach in history

You don't get it at all if you pick the wrong team then panic making wholesale changes replacing the wrong team with the wrong team.

The ability that NSW has to get things badly badly wrong is amazing.

mrpwnd

Bench
Fair enough I guess. I do admit Pearce didn't really step up in the two games that he played this year. But that is because Barrett controlled a lot of the ball play. I think Soward and Pearce are both guilty of completely disappearing in some games.

And I guess the selectors still think that Soward's defense isn't up to Origin Standards yet.

If Sticky is selected as coach next year. Pearce and Carney will be the halves. Fairly certain he stated on TFS they should be the halves for the next 5 or so years at least.
It's a pity.
I'd much prefer Carney at 6 and Soward at 7.
Soward is much more clinical than Pearce, organizes the line better, much more creative, stronger kicking game, stronger passing game, runs better lines and links with outside backs better.
At this point in time, based on their respective performances the last 2 years Pearce only edges Soward out in 1 on 1 defense. Maybe Pearce has some more innate 'potential' or whatever gung-ho people call it nowadays, but based on sheer skill and vision Soward is way ahead.
Both lack creativity required to be the single best halfback in the game, but that's essentially where the likes of Carney and Hayne come in anyway.
I'm also worried about our hooker prospects next year, just from the top of my head theres:
Ennis(Had a decent showing in 2009 dead rubber but complete rubbish after that)
Farrah(Was solid in game 1, but had an absolute shocker in game 2...Maybe unfairly used as a scapegoat but lacked his usual creativity in his 2 games)
De Gois(Don't know much about the Knights, but apparently one of the top NSW hookers)
Gidley(Better as utility but we looked better when he replaced Ennis)

adamkungl

Immortal
Soward is much more clinical than Pearce, organizes the line better, much more creative, stronger kicking game, stronger passing game, runs better lines and links with outside backs better.

lol...for sure.... :crazy:

AB129*

Juniors
Behind a beaten pack.

Pearce and Carney are the halves, no question now.

The questions lie in the captaincy, the outside backs and hooker.

For mine, the two starting props should clearly be TLL and Snowden. Both huge men, both tough and aggressive, neither scarred by previous defeats, and both stack up well against Petro and Shillington. Qld would not want us to pick them, so let's stop f***ing around and pick some size and mongrel up front.

The two bench props are different. They could come from this list:
Douglas
Grant
Mannah, T
Poore
Weyman
Kite (may be an unpopular selection, but very effective off the bench, experienced but not old, and at his best- 2008 Granny- he is one of the best in the world. So if he comes good again in '11, he could get a crack).

I'm not sure King or White simply have the capacity to make 100m+ in SOO. Perhaps King could be looked at for one more year, for his experience.

Personally I would go for Douglas. The bloke plays SOO footy week in, week out. One of the toughest blokes in the comp- not because he throws mad punches, but because he puts his hand up to do the hard stuff for his side, and never breaks. You don't play 100+ quality 1st grade games consecutively from your debut at prop without being special.

The other really interesting area for me is the three-quarters. We need to get Jennings in the side. Play him at left centre against Hodges. His defence has really improved this last 18 months or so, and he will cause Hodges no end of trouble. And is they don't pick Hodges for whatever reason, he will tear nuffies like Tate or Tonga to shreds. That's a battle NSW need to win.

The other bloke we need to work in there somewhere is Lawrence. He's big, he's quick, he can tackle. But he's a left centre, like Jennings. Hence the conundrum, imo.

D

Deleted member 10972

Other than for the sake of a 'combination' what does pearce bring to origin?

He is a halfback and plays his best footy at halfback, something that Carney, Soward and Mullen fail to do.

Think of it this way:

Carney is in direct competition with Soward, Campese, Sutton and Mullen for the five-eighth spot. Carney is consistently the most dangerous of these players. Hence, Carney.

Pearce is in direct competition with Walsh and Wallace for the halfback spot. Pearce is a better defender and has a better allround game than both these players. Hence, Pearce.

After that, it is ALSO an additional fringe benefit that they happen to be a club combination.

Joker's Wild

Coach
He is a halfback and plays his best footy at halfback, something that Carney, Soward and Mullen fail to do.

Think of it this way:

Carney is in direct competition with Soward, Campese, Sutton and Mullen for the five-eighth spot. Carney is consistently the most dangerous of these players. Hence, Carney.

Pearce is in direct competition with Walsh and Wallace for the halfback spot. Pearce is a better defender and has a better allround game than both these players. Hence, Pearce.

After that, it is ALSO an additional fringe benefit that they happen to be a club combination.

Please dont suggest that Luke Walsh is a SOO chance ever again.

Dear god we are in all sorts if his name is being thrown about

mrpwnd

Bench

Think of it this way:

If you watch Dragons games, you'll find the numbers on Hornby and Soward are irrelevant. I see Soward play as a halfback many times, the only difference is that on paper and on his jersey he's a 5/8.
It probably won't happen and he'll be unfairly snubbed despite good form again, but I'd like for him to be considered for the role of halfback. For the record Wallace looked more effective in attack than Pearce did...But I don't say that as a compliment at all, both were horrible.

timka4

Bench
I actually found that they do play like a 6 and 7. Soward plays a wider role in their attack in the 2nd or 3rd receiver. While Hornby is usually in the mid section of the field. Soward just has a more noticeable role in the halves.

I still think Pearce will go a lot better this year in Origin without Barrett, mark my words!

Mong

Post Whore
How funny..

NSW fans complain about the selectors not picking the best available team but themselves seem hell bent on not picking the best available team.

6 in a row sounds pretty sweet i must say :)

chefman21

Juniors
I think if Carney is picked at 5/8, then the NSW selectors should be looking at hookers who have a ball running 5/8 at their clubs, since Carney is a ball running 5/8. In that case, I think Farah is probably the best option. Marshall is a running 5/8 and plays very similar to Carney when he handles the ball i.e. as soon as Marshall gets the ball he moves just like Carney does. They play very differently but are very similar. It is less of a change for Carney to change his movements, and it is less of a change for Farah where he places the ball. Does that make sense?

mrpwnd

Bench
I actually found that they do play like a 6 and 7. Soward plays a wider role in their attack in the 2nd or 3rd receiver. While Hornby is usually in the mid section of the field. Soward just has a more noticeable role in the halves.

I still think Pearce will go a lot better this year in Origin without Barrett, mark my words!
That's the key. It's not really whether or not Soward plays 1st reciever or not, which he does plenty of for the dragons anyway, it's the fact that he takes over a lot of the halfback role for the dragons and thus is the stand out in the halves.

Maybe Pearce's performances was affected by Barrett, but it didn't detract from him dishing out little more than rubbish for every single one of his games.

I've yet to see anything from Pearce both in rep and club footy that could justify his selection beyond a combination with Carney and solid defense.

timka4

Bench
I think if Carney is picked at 5/8, then the NSW selectors should be looking at hookers who have a ball running 5/8 at their clubs, since Carney is a ball running 5/8. In that case, I think Farah is probably the best option. Marshall is a running 5/8 and plays very similar to Carney when he handles the ball i.e. as soon as Marshall gets the ball he moves just like Carney does. They play very differently but are very similar. It is less of a change for Carney to change his movements, and it is less of a change for Farah where he places the ball. Does that make sense?
Makes a lot of sense, I think Farah should just be picked, just purely because he is the best hooker in NSW anyways.

Farah also being a ball playing hooker will help when it comes too 5th tackle creativity and unpredictability in our attack

timka4

Bench
That's the key. It's not really whether or not Soward plays 1st reciever or not, which he does plenty of for the dragons anyway, it's the fact that he takes over a lot of the halfback role for the dragons and thus is the stand out in the halves.

Maybe Pearce's performances was affected by Barrett, but it didn't detract from him dishing out little more than rubbish for every single one of his games.

I've yet to see anything from Pearce both in rep and club footy that could justify his selection beyond a combination with Carney and solid defense.
All good points. Although I was suggesting Pearce and Carney, I was never shunning the idea of Soward being in the squad (well not after the second origin this year)

Like I said before, Pearce and Carney are going to be the halves most likely for this year. So I guess we will just have to wait and see.

meltiger

First Grade
Farrah(Was solid in game 1, but had an absolute shocker in game 2...Maybe unfairly used as a scapegoat but lacked his usual creativity in his 2 games)

Broken Ribs.

Should not have been on the field in game 2 but played because he knew exactly what would happen if he gave Daley and co the chance to select Made for Origin.

I can wear the arguments about the two Newcastle boys, but Farah pisses all over Ennis. Ennis shouldn't even be in the frame.

mrpwnd

Bench
Broken Ribs.

Should not have been on the field in game 2 but played because he knew exactly what would happen if he gave Daley and co the chance to select Made for Origin.

I can wear the arguments about the two Newcastle boys, but Farah pisses all over Ennis. Ennis shouldn't even be in the frame.
I'm tempted to see Farrah again in the no.9 jersey. Still hesitant though, test match performances are one of the worst benchmarks to use as a standard for origin, I think we all saw that with Brett Morris. Touted as one of the best wingers in the comp and proved to be one of the worst players in origin.

Although to Farrah's credit, he's missed out on the Dally M twice and unfairly so, by 1-2 points each time and led his side to a great 2005 grand final and I gotta admit, we looked better against NZ when Farrah came on and started spreading the ball properly rather than Smiths usual antics involving his homosexual relationship with Cronk.

Latest posts