What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Really NSW 2011 thread that will be hated by all!

chefman21

Juniors
Galloway should be considered as well. Imagine TLL & Galloway starting with Mannah & Snowden/Douglas to replace them.

Don't forget Tolman. He's a bit of a forgotten man for many.

I think the positions most difficult to select are FB, wingers and centres

I think the biggest problem has been the lack of experienced campaigners in our back line, and the picking of players who don't really have much about them apart from being a good finisher at club level or having good defence.

Personally, I would go with:

1. Dugan
2. Stewart
3. Gasnier
4. Lewis
5. Hayne

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Galloway should be considered as well. Imagine TLL & Galloway starting with Mannah & Snowden/Douglas to replace them.

I like that. I can see that being successful. Tim Grant can push his way through too IMO.

Tolman will be the prop to watch for the Dogs next year, lets see how he goes with that pressure.

mrpwnd

Bench
1. Dugan, Hayne (If he can find a heart), Stewart (if he can bounce back)
2. Michael Gordon
3. Lyon
4. Lawrence
5. Uate
6. Carney
7. Pearce
8. Prop 1
9. Farah
10. Prop 2
11. Lewis
12. Bird
13. Gallen

14. Gidley
15. Watmough
16. TLL
17. Prop 4

3 remaining prop spots could be a lottery, guys like Tolman, Grant, Snowden, Douglas, King all in the fray.
At least there's one person here not on the Brett Morris wankfest bandwagon.

timka4

Bench
Don't forget Tolman. He's a bit of a forgotten man for many.

I think the biggest problem has been the lack of experienced campaigners in our back line, and the picking of players who don't really have much about them apart from being a good finisher at club level or having good defence.

That's what I was kinda trying to put across. Also it seems to be the positions most people are disagreeing on at the moment

farmeister

Juniors
1. Dugan, Hayne (If he can find a heart), Stewart (if he can bounce back)
2. Michael Gordon
3. Lyon
4. Lawrence
5. Uate
6. Carney
7. Pearce
8. Prop 1
9. Farah
10. Prop 2
11. Lewis
12. Bird
13. Gallen

14. Gidley
15. Watmough
16. TLL
17. Prop 4

3 remaining prop spots could be a lottery, guys like Tolman, Grant, Snowden, Douglas, King all in the fray.

Out of curiosity, why would you pick Lyon? (Same question to anyone else who would have him in the NSW team.)

He's had plenty of opportunities with NSW but I don't recall him ever having much impact on the game. He doesn't strike me as the kind of player who Qld would worry about facing up against. On top of that, there are question marks as to how passionate he is about the Blues given that he didn't even want to be picked a couple of seasons ago.

Is it just that you think he's more reliable defensively than someone like Jennings or J. Morris? Or do you think he's played a lot better for NSW than most fans give him credit for? Or do you think he'll step up and have the game of his life if we just give him another chance (maybe with a better halves pairing)??

Dutchy

Immortal
Because he was arguably the best centre in the world in 2010?

Lyon is a class player, and has the ability to win the game for you. And yes his defense is a bonus too. But I would rather him as centre for my club over Inglis, Jennings, Tonga, Tate etc etc.

Remember, he started as f/e for NSW last year after playing the majority of the season in the centres for Manly, when he moved out into the centres he looked dangerous, and we scored some points down there.

Dutchy

Immortal
Oh and not wanting to play for NSW, what would you do if you had a really sick toddler, who was in and out of hospital when you already spent a lot of time on the road for work?

farmeister

Juniors
Because he was arguably the best centre in the world in 2010?

Lyon is a class player, and has the ability to win the game for you. And yes his defense is a bonus too. But I would rather him as centre for my club over Inglis, Jennings, Tonga, Tate etc etc.

Remember, he started as f/e for NSW last year after playing the majority of the season in the centres for Manly, when he moved out into the centres he looked dangerous, and we scored some points down there.

You're right and I don't think anybody would disagree that Lyon is a superb player for his club. But he must have played at least a dozen games for NSW now, and as I said I can't recall any game where he's been anything more than a reasonably solid center. (Again, I might be wrong, but I wouldn't be the only one because I know a lot of NSW fans have the same impression.)

For most players who have played that number of games for their state, you can think of at least a couple of Origins where they've turned in near man of the match performances. Lyon may very well be a better & more consistent center for Manly than Inglis is for Melbourne, but if Inglis was a NSWer how many NSW fans would seriously take Lyon over Inglis?

I reckon no matter how good a player is at club level, if he doesn't make an impact at state level after numerous opportunities, surely there comes a point where you have to give someone else a go.

Look, it's not just Lyon, also players like Brett Morris and Jennings are (I think) running out of opportunities. They haven't had as many chances as Lyon, but if they get selected next year and go through another series without doing anything then you would have to think about replacing them too, no matter how much they're carving it up for their club sides.

But yeah, I honestly do want to know...am I underrating how good Lyon has been for NSW? Or do people think he'll do better next year than he has in previous years?

Big Pete

Referee
He was good for NSW in 2002-03.

Didn't deserve selection in 2007, but correct me if I'm wrong but NSW didn't have a lot of options.

Only played two games in 2009 and had two nuffy wingers outside of him (his best attribute in attack is setting up his outside man).

And only played one game this year in which he showed once he was at centre he could truly trouble Queensland by doing extremely well to set up Idris. Heck, he was probably one of NSW's best at five eigth, but people were too busy whining about the selection to notice.

mrpwnd

Bench
Lyon is better than Jennings, Lawrence, Champion etc etc.
Not really a matter of how well he's doing but more that he's just better.

Yosh

Coach
I think that 10 minute stint Lyon showed (when he was moved from 5/8th to centre) that he is by far the best option we have. So far I would say only these players have locked themselves in.

2. Uate
6. Carney
12. Gallen
13. Bird

14. Lewis
15. Snowden
16. TLL
17. Mannah

Yosh

Coach
Also I think we all know who the answer to the NSW halfback question is: Mullen. He is he man. He just doesn't know it yet. I think he is in for a big one this year wouldn't be surprised if he is the first person named on the team next year.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Also I think we all know who the answer to the NSW halfback question is: Mullen. He is he man. He just doesn't know it yet. I think he is in for a big one this year wouldn't be surprised if he is the first person named on the team next year.

I wish he would show more confidence, I think he really could do what we need to win.

Lyon I think should be in the team, right centre. Lawrence would make a handy left centre. But then there is Jennings and Gasnier.

Direct

Juniors
i think that 10 minute stint lyon showed (when he was moved from 5/8th to centre) that he is by far the best option we have. So far i would say only these players have locked themselves in.

1. gidley
2. Uate
3. macdougall
5. mcmanus
6. Carney
7. mullen
9. de gois
11. paterson
12. Gallen
13. Bird

14. Lewis
15. Snowden