What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Really NSW 2011 thread that will be hated by all!

Tweed Titan

Bench
1. Hayne - Has to play. Steps up in Origin big time.
2. Uate - Will cause headaches for QLD. If he's not scoring tries hes smashing it up through the middle making a crazy amount of metres. Seen glimpses on Sunday of him getting back to form.
3. Gasnier - Getting back to form and their isn't a lot of competition
4. J Morris - A very strong ball run with plenty of speed. He's the only other option worth picking.
5. Gordon - Has been an absolute gun at FB. Hopefully he plays like that on the wing
6. Soward - Been so consistent the last few seasons. Need his kicking game.
7. Mullen - Same as Soward, kicking game as well as his ability to shift the ball wide
8. Tolman - Got a great work ethic, just what NSW need. Form prop in the comp
9. Farah - He's the best NSW have. Very creative out of dummy half
10. Snowden - Plenty of grunt in his runs this year. In good form and a must for NSW
11. Gallen (c)- Playing great this year. Seems to of got some of the shit out of his game. He's my captain too.
12. Watmough - Steps up in Origin. In good enough form
13. Bird - He's been our #1 player for NSW in most games. First player picked

14. Gidley - Provides great utility value off the bench. Can create some spark at hooker later in the game.
15. Lewis/Heighington - Not sure when Lewis is coming back? If he's fit and playing well enough, I'd pick him but IMO Heighington just looks like an Origin type of player that would do well.
16. Mannah - Another prop we have that is in good form and played well in last years Origin.
17. TLL - A bad start to the year but is starting to pick up form. A must pick regardless because he steps up in Origin

Pretty much spot on. Only disagreement is Idris over Morris in the centres and maybe Lewis in the run on team with Watmough on the bench. He is more of an impact player.

jbl31649

Juniors
2. Uate - Will cause headaches for QLD. If he's not scoring tries hes smashing it up through the middle making a crazy amount of metres. Seen glimpses on Sunday of him getting back to form.
4. J Morris - A very strong ball run with plenty of speed. He's the only other option worth picking.
5. Gordon - Has been an absolute gun at FB. Hopefully he plays like that on the wing
7. Mullen - Same as Soward, kicking game as well as his ability to shift the ball wide
10. Snowden - Plenty of grunt in his runs this year. In good form and a must for NSW
11. Gallen (c)- Playing great this year. Seems to of got some of the shit out of his game. He's my captain too.

14. Gidley - Provides great utility value off the bench. Can create some spark at hooker later in the game.
15. Lewis/Heighington - Not sure when Lewis is coming back? If he's fit and playing well enough, I'd pick him but IMO Heighington just looks like an Origin type of player that would do well.
16. Mannah - Another prop we have that is in good form and played well in last years Origin.
17. TLL - A bad start to the year but is starting to pick up form. A must pick regardless because he steps up in Origin

Pretty good side!

I have a feeling if Heighington doesn't get picked this year, he'll play for England.

Glen Stewart is also doing well metres: 75, tackles: 46 and plays as a second 5/8 on the right. Has been there before.

Paul Gallen has change and I think it is the extra responsiblity of Captain, I remember Tallis was a penalty magnet for the Dragons, when he went to the Bronc's Bennet made him Captain and he really step up.

I like Galloway aswell!

Last edited:

Dragon2010

First Grade
What is so great about Idris? I've seen him play would much prefer Gasnier/JMorris in the centers. Hes a good player but he is still at least a season or two away until he hits the mark I think.

His size is a great addition though to moving forward in origin and meters gained. Don't get me wring I think he's a good player but what is so great about him I have seen very few of his games.

Cheers.

Cheops

Juniors

Pretty much exactly what I would pick. Only changes I would consider are Dugan in if he can pick up his form with Hayne taking Gordon's wing spot although Gordon would be very unlucky.

Also, I would start Tolman off the bench in origin. I think he would struggle to make an impact in the first 20 minutes of an origin match where defenses are racing up at high intensity, but his workrate would be invaluable after 15-20 minutes when fatigue sets in and we are looking for someone to take it forward

Tweed Titan

Bench
Pretty much exactly what I would pick. Only changes I would consider are Dugan in if he can pick up his form with Hayne taking Gordon's wing spot although Gordon would be very unlucky.

Also, I would start Tolman off the bench in origin. I think he would struggle to make an impact in the first 20 minutes of an origin match where defenses are racing up at high intensity, but his workrate would be invaluable after 15-20 minutes when fatigue sets in and we are looking for someone to take it forward

Isn't that the exact purpose of a Tolman type player. Workrate is useful to take the sting out of the opposition, then you put someone with more impact on when defences are tiring. IMO Tolman must start or not play at all.

Cheops

Juniors
Isn't that the exact purpose of a Tolman type player. Workrate is useful to take the sting out of the opposition, then you put someone with more impact on when defences are tiring. IMO Tolman must start or not play at all.

Normally I'd agree, but in the first 15 minutes of an origin I just think Tolman would get monstered and not make many metres at all, no matter how many times he runs. I'd start with someone like TLL or Galloway who are big enough to make metres against a rushing QLD defense, then when our forwards are tiring, bring on Tolman who will put his hand up to make run after run

leo9999

Juniors
If Brett Morris gets picked to play on the wing for Australia then you'd think Morris would be on the wing for nsw ? I personally think The wingers should be Uate and Gordon, Hayne as Fullback, Gasnier and Idris in the centres. I have this feeling Gidley will play five eight and then they will decide to pick soward five eight in origin 3 when the series is over, just as they did with hayne when gidley was fullback

1) Hayne
2) Uate
3) Gasnier
4) Idris
5) Gordon
6) Soward
7) Mullen
8) Mannah
9) Farah
10) Tolman
11) Bird
12) Lewis
13) Gallen (c)

14) Gidley
15) Snowden
16) Galloway
17) Watmough

CC_Roosters

First Grade
1 Hayne/Dugan
2 B Morris
3 Gasnier
4 Lyon
5 Uate
6 Soward
7 Mullen

8 Galloway
9 Ennis
10 Snowden
11 Bird
12 Watmough
13 Gallen (C)

14 Tolman
15 Lewis
16 Gidley
17 TLL

Hayne always seems to step up, but i'm still undecided on fullback this year.

1 Hayne
2 B Morris
3 Gasnier
4 Lyon / Josh Morris
5 Uate
6 Soward
7 Mullen

8 Weyman
9 Ennis
10 Tolman
11 Creagh
12 Watmough
13 Gallen (C)

14 Snowden
15 Lewis
16 Gidley
17 Mannah

Last edited:

Spot On

Coach

Mate, I like it! I really hope that's the side that we go with. However it won't bother me if they don't select TLL (atrocious form) and Hayne (I'd rather see Dugan at the back and Hayne on left wing if they must).

Big Pete

Referee
Well he has been the most consistent, highest quality half from NSW this year so if he's inconsistent the others simply don't turn up.

True but this year is only seven games old.

He has 4 years of inconsistent form to back up my opinion.

RABK

Referee
True but this year is only seven games old.

He has 4 years of inconsistent form to back up my opinion.

I've watched and known him since he was 16 years old and i'll back this opinion over a 'Johns is better than Lockyer' one - although inconsistent Mullen has Origin class in him. The same that Johns, Fittler, Lockyer, Thurston etc have/had.

It's anyone's guess why exactly his runs on the board suggest he doesn't have that class but i know he does. Perhaps it is under Bennett that he will truly become an Origin regular and future captain. This year ain't a bad start if he is heading in that direction. God knows NSW need a half with greatness in him to lead us out of the last 5 years.

RABK

Referee
Yes principle pete.

Seriously though - he does show it - just not as consistently as one would expect of someone of his ability. It's not about him failing to show class for 6 years - its about him showing it in 20 games a year rather than 10. If he gets selected this year - it's up to him once and for all to state that he is an Origin player and belongs there or that he is a player incapable of delivering on his potential.

mrpwnd

Bench
Mullen is way too inconsistent.

Seems to hate Suncorp too.
Well he's had 7 rounds of very good consistent form.

Gets the tick over an out of form Pearce who has performed just as badly as Mullen has in origin(with more chances as well).

6. Soward
7. Mullen

I don't think any other viable option exists atm, Pearce is out of form(never had it imo) and Carney is completely mindf**ked atm. No complaints with Mullen and Soward from me though, VERY happy with their form this year.