What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Really NSW 2011 thread that will be hated by all!

Raider_69

Post Whore
mullen isnt origin standard, maybe under bennett next year he will be, but do it to him now and you'll do what you did to him years ago

Big Pete

Referee
Principal*, if you want to insult me at least spell the insult right. :p

That's my point, Mullen still has to prove himself. Labelling his non-selection a joke is an absurd when there's a legitimate reason against his inclusion.

Well he's had 7 rounds of very good consistent form.

If his performance against the Broncos was an example of 'very good' form then I really fear for NSW chances...

mrpwnd

Bench
Yes principle pete.

Seriously though - he does show it - just not as consistently as one would expect of someone of his ability. It's not about him failing to show class for 6 years - its about him showing it in 20 games a year rather than 10. If he gets selected this year - it's up to him once and for all to state that he is an Origin player and belongs there or that he is a player incapable of delivering on his potential.
To be fair, I've never seen anyone show complete class for an entire season, even your Inglis', Thurstons, Lockyers, Johns etc etc are capable of the occasional shocker.

I wouldn't use inconsistency as a basis to select someone for origin, although I hope Mullen really steps up for origin this year, NSW need a halfback that isn't going to play like an idiot.

Allstar Knights

Juniors
Mullen/Soward don't need to have absolute blinders for NSW. they just need to play to their strengths and that is to kick deep and also give the outside men some quality ball because we have players that can cause plenty of damage in Uate, Gordon, J Morris ect.

Enough of this 1 out crap that we have seen the past 5 Origin series, it's time to play some expansive footy and take a few risks for a change. We're not going to beat QLD if we don't chance our arm, it's as simple as that.

mrpwnd

Bench
Principal*, if you want to insult me at least spell the insult right. :p

That's my point, Mullen still has to prove himself. Labelling his non-selection a joke is an absurd when there's a legitimate reason against his inclusion.

If his performance against the Broncos was an example of 'very good' form then I really fear for NSW chances...
Problem is that 'legitimate' reason also applies to the next 'best' choice in Pearce. He is playing better than Pearce, both have yet to prove themselves in origin, isn't it only logical to choose the one in better form?

Big Pete

Referee
Pearce has about three years of good performances to back his selection up and is the incumbant.

Selecting a player who's form has been waning since Round 2 and has a noted history of being inconsistent is silly.

mrpwnd

Bench
Pearce has about three years of good performances to back his selection up and is the incumbant.

Selecting a player who's form has been waning since Round 2 and has a noted history of being inconsistent is silly.
Pearce also has a history of being completely MIA in origin.
At the very least Mullens 'waning' form still tops Pearce's current form which probably won't get any better in origin.

Big Pete

Referee
Pearce also has a history of being completely MIA in origin.

Three games including one where he was blooded in his teens and two when he was thrown in after suffering an injury against arguably the best Queensland side ever.

It'd be silly now to drop him after all the hard work to throw in a player who's slowly losing form and has a history of being unreliable.

Well he has been the most consistent, highest quality half from NSW this year so if he's inconsistent the others simply don't turn up.

I would argue that Ben Hornby has been the most consistent, highest quality NSW half this year.

Not being biased either.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Hayne/Soward/Mullen/Farah

vs

Slater/Lockyer/Thurston/Smith

Let's face it lads, we're gonna get crunched again. Either that or when it comes down to the business end of the match with 20 to go they will come up with all the big plays...as usual.

Dragon2010

First Grade
Yes, but Sandow and Sutton are the halves at South Sydney. Not Lockyer and Thurston.

Let's not start with this "Soward can't tackle stuff" again. That was many games ago and way off. Sowards defense has been brilliant lately and is no longer the speed-bump people think he is. He puts his body on the line for one on one tackles and is greatly increasing. Even with Lockyer and Thurston in the halves It's not TeamSoward....it is the blues and there are other people that can tackle....

In other news.
Pearce will get picked for his name and the hype Stuart has for him..Heck I think Sticky will give him captaincy....

Spanner in the works

First Grade
Let's not start with this "Soward can't tackle stuff" again. That was many games ago and way off. Sowards defense has been brilliant lately and is no longer the speed-bump people think he is. He puts his body on the line for one on one tackles and is greatly increasing. Even with Lockyer and Thurston in the halves It's not TeamSoward....it is the blues and there are other people that can tackle....

In other news.
Pearce will get picked for his name and the hype Stuart has for him..Heck I think Sticky will give him captaincy....

It comes up again and again because there are always question marks over his defence. He got bumped off a few times in the ANZAC Day game so it's not like it's gone completely. Weaknesses like that you can get away with in club games. You can't at rep level especially against a side like this Queensland side. No one doubts him putting his body on the line. It's the amount of tackles he misses. The last three rounds he has made 26 tackles. He's missed 10. That's a liability.

smacky

Juniors
Hayne/Soward/Mullen/Farah

vs

Slater/Lockyer/Thurston/Smith

Let's face it lads, we're gonna get crunched again. Either that or when it comes down to the business end of the match with 20 to go they will come up with all the big plays...as usual.

The fact is Queensland are gonna have a better team than us, no matter what team we put in they will just have the better team, the best thing we can do is stick with a side for the full series and the following years to build up the combinations and only then will we be able to match them.

Spanner in the works

First Grade
The fact is Queensland are gonna have a better team than us, no matter what team we put in they will just have the better team, the best thing we can do is stick with a side for the full series and the following years to build up the combinations and only then will we be able to match them.

I agree. When those guys first came into Origin I bet you not many thought they would be the players they are today let alone be core to the side they have. Probably why we need to stick with Pearce in the halves.

Joker's Wild

Coach

Waning since Rd 2? He has had 1 bad game against the Broncos but has consistently been the Knights best or near best every other game they have played this season.

A lot of Mullos poor form over the last few seasons can mostly be put down to his coaches moving him back and forth between positions and having some of the poorest halves partners in the NRL playing next to him.

Can the same be said for Pearce? You say we should stick with him but if we had taken the line of sticking with the incumbent over a player who is clearly better, we'd still have Peter Wallace in the Blues 7 jersey and we all know how Broncos fans feel about him.