What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Really NSW 2011 thread that will be hated by all!

Yosh

Coach
Melbourne has some pretty slick backline moves you must admit though.

I really wanna what Mel does as coach. Easiest job in league isn't it?

Johns Magic

Referee
I just hope Stuart goes and stands on the sideline.

When the coach does that, you just know the team's gonna win.

perverse

Referee
they should provide Daley a space to squat in awkwardly, next to Gus and his multitude of chairs. generally a good omen.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
I think they are just going to try and expose certain players in certain situations. IE Hayne as second receiver 30 meters out on the left edge. Shit like that.

Yosh

Coach
1. Dugan
2. Uate
3. Gaz/Idris
4. Champion
5. Hayne

6. Mullen
7. Pearce (Soward is injured)

8. Snowden
9. Farrah
10. TLL
11. Bird
12. Creagh
13. Gallen

14. Kidley
15. Mannah
16. Watmough
17. Tolman

I think we'll see something like that no?

Spanner in the works

First Grade
From what I've watched of City Country so far, Mullen has to be 5/8 or halfback, Shackleton has been good, Tolman has been great and Hinchcliffe has been great.

Last edited:

Spanner in the works

First Grade
After tonight I'd go:
1. Dugan
2. Hayne
3. Gasnier
4. Gordon
5. Uate

6. Mullen
7. Pearce

8. Tolman
17. Hinchcliffe
10. Snowden
11. Heighington
12. Gallen
13. Bird

14. Houston
15. TLL
16. Mannah
9. Farah

Hinchcliffe was quite simply outstanding tonight. He was always a shot as a bolter having played well for the past few seasons and this season has been his best by far. Tonight I think he did enough to take the starting hooker spot. He was clearly the best hooker (and player) out there tonight and if this is a genuine Origin trial then he has won a spot. He can take the sting out of the Queensland pack. Bring on Farah after the first 20 or so and give him 60 odd minutes, and then use Hinchcliffe as a backrower.

Mullen was excellent. As was Pearce. Now that Soward is gone they are the only two options left. Tolman was strong again. Made 130 odd metres and 30 odd tackles and didn't look out of place up against a strong City front row rotation (Mannah, Galloway and Grant). Houston was excellent as well. Got through plenty of work, threatened the defence on the fringes and added plenty of starch. Heighington did enough for me to pick him. The rest is all pretty self-explanatory. It's not the side that I expected to pick but I think it's the right side to take on Queensland. Sadly I think Morris and Creagh will get a spot...

Last edited:

Tweed Titan

Bench
My thoughts from the games last night:

Out of the fullbacks no one really stood out. I don't think any of them can be judged too harshly at the moment because they are playing in awful teams. I give the nod to Hayne on incumbency. You didn't see QLD drop Thurston in the last few years when North Qld were sucking and his form was meh. Proven origin performer so I keep faith in Hayne.

Out of the wingers Uate was the real stand out, he is in my team. Great kick returns and lightning fast. Gordon was solid and we need his goalkicking. Hoppa is a great talent but is a couple of years away from sky blue. Merritt was decent too but going with the top two.

In the centres I thought the city boys had the better of it before Champion got injured. It was also the best I have seen Jennings play this year and he was my pick prior to the start of the year but quickly turned to shite. He did butcher a try or two last night though. Thompson and Morris were average. IMO though we have to go with Idris and Gasnier.

Out of the 5/8ths Soward is a show-in if fit, unless Carney comes back and plays amazing. Keating was out of his depth a bit IMO.

In the halves I thought Mullen shaded it. Again at the start of the year I would have picked Pearce but Mullen has such a great kicking game and IMO provided the better last tackle options and kicks.

The front rowers that impressed were Galloway, Mannah and Tolman. But the real standout was TLL. Running like he was fired out of a cannon and hitting hard.

The hooking duel was pretty even and it looks as though Farah's injury isn't affecting him too much thank ****. Hinchcliffe was impressive and could be a bolter for the #14 jersey if Gidley is out. Underrated player, didn't realise he could play that well.

In the second row I thought Stewart had a really good game and showed great footwork at the line and was a calming influence on his team. All of the back row played pretty well but none of these players make my team.

At lock I though Heighington was his usual self and Fulton was solid (don't know how a player with his limitations got picked in the first place though). Again neither are in my team.

IMO the only bench player that improved his stock significantly was TLL.

In the Test match I though Morris did OK, good tackle on SKD to take him out but IMO we have better options. Snowden tried hard but had errors and penalties in him. Creagh played well and improved his stock. Idris blew an easy try but the rest of his game was very good, think the Nightingale incident was unfortunate but don't think there was malice. He tried to pull out of it IMO. Gallen - what can be said. If he played for a decent team he would be getting jizzed over 24/7. Played hurt once in origin and played poorly, and got roasted.

So my team is...

1. Hayne
2. Gordon
3. Gasnier (right)
4. Idris (left)
5. Uate
6. Soward
7. Mullen
8. Snowden
9. Farah
10. Tolman
11. Bird
12. Creagh (you better have a go this time)
13. Gallen (c)

14. Gidley (if fit) or Hinchcliffe
15. TLL
16. Watmough (if he pulls his head in)
17. Mannah

Luke Lewis is still in with a chance of a back row spot if he comes in and plays well.

18th man (one of): Hinchliffe/Galloway/G Stewart/Carney/M Minicheillo

This team can beat QLD

**** the nay-sayers!

j0nesy

Bench
Thats a solid team. You make good argument for Hayne, but I think Dugan is the more complete fullback, his positional play is much better. I'd stick with Morris on the wing as the incumbent, although this would be his last series to prove himself. Personally I thought Hinchcliffe had a blinder and Farrah was below average. I like Simon Dwyer as a bolter for a starting place instead of Bird, or at least a bench spot. I also think Beau Scott, instead of missed tackle Watmough, has been going great for the Dragons. Alternatively ,As you point out, Stewart and Lewis (if fit) would go close.

SET2JT

Juniors
My thoughts from the games last night:

Out of the fullbacks no one really stood out. I don't think any of them can be judged too harshly at the moment because they are playing in awful teams. I give the nod to Hayne on incumbency. You didn't see QLD drop Thurston in the last few years when North Qld were sucking and his form was meh. Proven origin performer so I keep faith in Hayne.

Out of the wingers Uate was the real stand out, he is in my team. Great kick returns and lightning fast. Gordon was solid and we need his goalkicking. Hoppa is a great talent but is a couple of years away from sky blue. Merritt was decent too but going with the top two.

In the centres I thought the city boys had the better of it before Champion got injured. It was also the best I have seen Jennings play this year and he was my pick prior to the start of the year but quickly turned to shite. He did butcher a try or two last night though. Thompson and Morris were average. IMO though we have to go with Idris and Gasnier.

Out of the 5/8ths Soward is a show-in if fit, unless Carney comes back and plays amazing. Keating was out of his depth a bit IMO.

In the halves I thought Mullen shaded it. Again at the start of the year I would have picked Pearce but Mullen has such a great kicking game and IMO provided the better last tackle options and kicks.

The front rowers that impressed were Galloway, Mannah and Tolman. But the real standout was TLL. Running like he was fired out of a cannon and hitting hard.

The hooking duel was pretty even and it looks as though Farah's injury isn't affecting him too much thank ****. Hinchcliffe was impressive and could be a bolter for the #14 jersey if Gidley is out. Underrated player, didn't realise he could play that well.

In the second row I thought Stewart had a really good game and showed great footwork at the line and was a calming influence on his team. All of the back row played pretty well but none of these players make my team.

At lock I though Heighington was his usual self and Fulton was solid (don't know how a player with his limitations got picked in the first place though). Again neither are in my team.

IMO the only bench player that improved his stock significantly was TLL.

In the Test match I though Morris did OK, good tackle on SKD to take him out but IMO we have better options. Snowden tried hard but had errors and penalties in him. Creagh played well and improved his stock. Idris blew an easy try but the rest of his game was very good, think the Nightingale incident was unfortunate but don't think there was malice. He tried to pull out of it IMO. Gallen - what can be said. If he played for a decent team he would be getting jizzed over 24/7. Played hurt once in origin and played poorly, and got roasted.

So my team is...

1. Hayne
2. Gordon
3. Gasnier (right)
4. Idris (left)
5. Uate
6. Soward
7. Mullen
8. Snowden
9. Farah
10. Tolman
11. Bird
12. Creagh (you better have a go this time)
13. Gallen (c)

14. Gidley (if fit) or Hinchcliffe
15. TLL
16. Watmough (if he pulls his head in)
17. Mannah

Luke Lewis is still in with a chance of a back row spot if he comes in and plays well.

18th man (one of): Hinchliffe/Galloway/G Stewart/Carney/M Minicheillo

This team can beat QLD

**** the nay-sayers!
If you have Soward in your team you don't need a winger for his goal kicking. I would have Dugan as fullback with Hayne on the wing.

Last edited:

RHCP

Bench
Keith Galloway should take his spot. I've never been a big fan of his, but he really put his hand up in CvC.

Don't see anything about Heighington that makes him worth giving a Blues jumper too.

Interesting to see Farah get outplayed by Hinchcliffe. We have enough playmakers in the side to take in a hooker that doesn't have a lot of flash, but will rack up the tackles and give decent service to our halves and fullback. Dean Young or Ryan Hinchcliffe wouldn't look out of place for mine, but Michael Ennis is still the most likely.

Left centre is the most contentious position left.