What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The rebuilding phase

Eelementary

Post Whore
Not saying it was you, but there were plenty on other socials that declared Blaize was a slow disappointment because he didn't catch Bradman Best twice after giving him 10 or 15m head start. Pretty harsh.

Yeah, definitely.

I would have expected Blaize to catch him, though - Best isn't super quick.

But, it is, what it is.

Right now, Blaize's biggest worries are his defence, and bomb defusal.

He is doing fine in everything else.

And we saw glimpses of class when he played at 1.

Eelementary

Post Whore
It was a weak-arsed knee jerk reaction to appease the fans because they were starting to get unruly.

Brad's time with us was up, imo.

But he should only have been sacked partway though the season, if we secured a better replacement - such as Bennett, or Bellamy, for example.

But we sacked him partway though the season, and are looking to replace him with a rookie...that was a dumb, dumb move, imo.

hindy111

Post Whore
So at 22 or 23 and 100 games a player won't much get better ?

You'd know their ceiling by 25 games. They'd get better but You'd have a good indicator of how good they CAN get. Not if they reach there but possibly.
Russel has had what 30 odd games. I can tell.you he won't be anymore then a squad filler or average NRL PLAYER

hindy111

Post Whore
yeah I agree, he's only 19 forced to play at a level he shouldn't be at this stage of his career, late in the game where he would probably lack that speed or stamina that he probably should carry at that level.

I'm hoping it won't affect his development but I'm confident he'll be ok.

I'm not sure if ity was pretty harsh but i think it's pretty dopey to make that call on him based on what we've seen so far.

He has shown flashes of brilliance but physically isn't ready. Either is Boods

Gronk

Staff member
You'd know their ceiling by 25 games. They'd get better but You'd have a good indicator of how good they CAN get. Not if they reach there but possibly.
Russel has had what 30 odd games. I can tell.you he won't be anymore then a squad filler or average NRL PLAYER
So you agree that 100 games in early 20s is not their peak powers. Far from it. Good.

hindy111

Post Whore
So you agree that 100 games in early 20s is not their peak powers. Far from it. Good.

Also depends on age of debut.
I don't think players improve heaps after 100 games. Will shouldn't 100 games by end of 2025. I'd say by then what you see is what you get. He'll be 90% of the player he is going to be.

Gronk

Staff member
Also depends on age of debut.
I don't think players improve heaps after 100 games. Will shouldn't 100 games by end of 2025. I'd say by then what you see is what you get. He'll be 90% of the player he is going to be.
Actually it also depends on position. Young half backs for example who play 100 games, know nothing.

hindy111

Post Whore
Actually it also depends on position. Young half backs for example who play 100 games, know nothing.

Yes agree. And props tend to take a little more time. But you still see the talent early.
Moses always was extremely talented for example.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Brad's time with us was up, imo.

But he should only have been sacked partway though the season, if we secured a better replacement - such as Bennett, or Bellamy, for example.

But we sacked him partway though the season, and are looking to replace him with a rookie...that was a dumb, dumb move, imo.
I think keeping Brad to September would have done more damage.

The moment its all over its best for everyone to cut the chord and move forward.

But i will say though i didn't think it would take the club this long to figure out a replacement.

Its 2 months tomorrow since they said they sacked BA at the board meeting on the 2nd may.

We seem to be moving as quick as a Maika Sivo turning circle.

Pazza

First Grade
lets take a leaf out of the dogs book and try and get smaller and more mobile in the pack. we can still have our big boys but as it stands the got way too many of them.

Give Guymer his debut and maybe Parker later on.

we would make more metres by having a good kick chase and defense on the end of those moses kicks than what our 'power game' is producing atm. For example verse the knights Moses put in an incredible kick that turned the Knights winger around and he caught the ball 2 metres from his try line. Our kick chase was ok and two tackles later Best busted the line open through the middle and made 30 metres. Moses kicking game is wasted by our inability to defend. it needs to change.

Wally21

Bench
Blaize made 5 tackles, missed 0 and ineffective 1.
This is were stats can be so misleading. He missed 0 but it doesn’t include the tackles that he didn’t get to. Moses on the other hand missed 5, which were all in clean up/scramble after his teammates didn’t do their job. It’s the same as stats for Sivo. They often have him as not missing a tackle, but don’t account for when he bursts out of the line and doesn’t put a finger on anyone, which leads to a try as his teamates scramble to clean up his f**k ups

No way. Not with our halves and Lomax. 2027 is worse case. I wouldn't be suprised if we stuck into bottom of 8 next year but expect we will in 2026.
Yep, I said we might scrape 8ths place next season (year 1).

Year 2 KPI is top 8 - but that's not the end of the re-build. Year 3 expectation is then even higher in the top 8, so that we're on a path to extend the new coach if successful with this rebuild before the final season of their 4 year contract.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I think keeping Brad to September would have done more damage.

The moment its all over its best for everyone to cut the chord and move forward.

But i will say though i didn't think it would take the club this long to figure out a replacement.

Its 2 months tomorrow since they said they sacked BA at the board meeting on the 2nd may.

We seem to be moving as quick as a Maika Sivo turning circle.

The season was never going anywhere, even under Brad.

I would've been fine if we kept him until the end of 2024, and scoured the globe for his replacement.

Sacking him in May, to replace him with a rookie...as much as he has his faults, that's crazy, imo.

hindy111

Post Whore

I would've been fine if we kept him until the end of 2024, and scoured the globe for his replacement.

Sacking him in May, to replace him with a rookie...as much as he has his faults, that's crazy, imo.

Wherever we finish I am putting it on his record.

Gronk

Staff member
That’s very subjective Gronk. Like all of the opinions on here!
Of course, but there are not many 7's going around that are not super experienced. Those that are rookies are not merkins you would sign in a hurry.

There are always outliers and the merkins in RED are inexperienced but have shown something. At 70 games even Walker has gone through some rough patches after being being dropped in 2023.

Last round

Hynes
Sexton
Martin
Madden
Hastings
Moses
Hughes
Weekes
Hunt
Katoa
Schnieder

Townsend
Walker
Sezer

Incorrect

Coach

Apart from Bennett, who our retroactive leadership tried to sweet talk after he'd already agreed to terms with the Bunnies, I can only imagine you're suggesting we should have signed Maguire as head coach? A Bellamy or a Robinson or any other established successful coach are already under lock and key.

EelEtric

Juniors
This is were stats can be so misleading. He missed 0 but it doesn’t include the tackles that he didn’t get to. Moses on the other hand missed 5, which were all in clean up/scramble after his teammates didn’t do their job. It’s the same as stats for Sivo. They often have him as not missing a tackle, but don’t account for when he bursts out of the line and doesn’t put a finger on anyone, which leads to a try as his teamates scramble to clean up his f**k ups
Does include the tackle he made on Saifiti from the kick off return though.

Latest posts