What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Return of Gasnier?

chills74

Juniors
How much does a CEO get paid? Nobody would dare suggest a CEO is overpaid "we need to pay well to get the best" That maxim doesnt apply if you are a rugby league footballer.

Nowhere near what they would be getting paid if they were in deed the best - unless of course you are suggesting that the club CEO's and even the games CEO are on anything like the sort of money that gets thrown around in the corporate world!

BTW - where are all these players going to Rugby - I am hardly suprised to see Thurston resigned today with the Cowboys - i thought the could get $1mil from Rugby - looks like the markteplace set his salary and not the player and the player manager - either that or a club in North Queensland will have salary cap issues before the Dragons do!

Guvner

First Grade
I'm not sure how St George actually has that when they breached his contract in the first place...

Of course your not sure. you clearly know nothing about the situation if you think we breached his contract.

bartman

Immortal
Has Gasnier been away? :lol:

He's been forgotten since he left to chase the coin. Other players have emerged who are just as good if not better in his position.

Now he's after more cash, so Gaz is coming back to the game that apparently didn't or doesn't have enough cash in it, if you listen to the current crop of whingers who won't just shut up and follow in Gaz's footsteps overseas.

Dragonwest

Juniors
Saints wouldn't have any current player on more than 300-350g? I think with a decent 3rd party contract he could come in without a huge loss. The club could have upgraded some contracts and front loaded other contracts with Poore's money already.

Serc

First Grade
Oh well, if Saints sign Gaz then its more likely they'll lose guys like Henry and Merrin...so either way someone could get a win with this!

Guvner

First Grade
So those third party agreements were fulfilled then?

Were they organised or guaranteed by us? Why dont you explain them too me? If you can. Do you really think he would have agreed to the clause in his contract if we had stiffed him?

Guvner

First Grade
Oh well, if Saints sign Gaz then its more likely they'll lose guys like Henry and Merrin...so either way someone could get a win with this!

Merrin loves the joint and the coach. If Henry goes its to the Dogs. We have already unloaded Saffy for next year. Priddis will be retiring.

Saint Doc

Coach
I'm not sure how St George actually has that when they breached his contract in the first place...

You don't have any idea do you?

The whole point of 3rd party agreements is that they must NOT be guaranteed. The dragons had a contract with him for x-dollars, and helped faciliate a separate agreement with a THIRD PARTY, which is why they're known as third party agreements. When it fell through (no fault of the Dragons), we agreed to release him as Doust and co recognised that the financial position Gasnier was in was untenable - his income would not go close to matching his financial commitments. So both parties agreed he could leave for a rich union pay day overseas, on the proviso if he wanted to come back before his contract would have ended, it will be with us.

Late Mail

Juniors
The strange thing about Buzz's original 'exclusive' story is that it doesn't mention the fact that Gasnier has been told to look elsewhere from Stade Français because of consistent defensive deficiencies that did not impress Didier Faugeron and incoming coach Michael Cheika. Returning because of family illness is purely coincidental.

Ironically this was the same reason Adam Mogg was "released" from Catalans Dragons......

Last edited:

Jono1987

Juniors
First to admit that I'm still a little annoyed in the manner he left because I felt at least (I could be wrong ofcourse) he was the reason J. Morris left. However just the thought of having him on our right side and therefore giving us the ability to be just as potent down that edge as the left edge excites me. We'll be less predictable in attack and with someone like Gasnier he can create something from nothing. His defence was always a worry, but I'm confident Bennett can work on that. This would also push Scott back to the second row and mean we have the likes of Smith, Costigan and Prior comming off the bench. Giddy up indeed.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
So this leaves 2 real stars left (assuming Gaz does sign) that arent back yet. cutie and SBW. (note, Im not including Cross, Gower or Rooney)

How long will it take......

SadShark

Bench
$50k & match payments...............Wayne Swan relaxing to Working Class Man................we believe you, we believe you - really.

Stagger eel

Staff member
congratulations saints..he's a saints boy through and through and that's where he belongs. his presence alone will assure saints of the title..

Firey_Dragon

Coach
$50k & match payments...............Wayne Swan relaxing to Working Class Man................we believe you, we believe you - really.

He'll pull in ~$120,000 for half a season, $400,000 and $550,000 if the reported figures are true.

That's $1,070,000 for 2.5 years work, not exactly bad coin (or in simple terms $400,000/year)... :lol:

Last edited:

Doug2234

First Grade
congratulations saints..he's a saints boy through and through and that's where he belongs. his presence alone will assure saints of the title..

Cheers Stagger. I dont know about assuring us but it might add some spark to the attack - we have been missing a x factor so to speak