What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Return of Gasnier?

petetheileet

First Grade
If you have a coach with a brain and selections weren't influenced so heavily by the media and who they see as their poster boys...yes

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...e-bargain-dragon/story-e6frexnr-1225865275213

So how can a player like gasnier go into the second tier of players? Also what is the cap restriction on this second tier? if he is making $4,000 per game and dragons make it all the way to the grand final he has the potential of playing anywhere between 15-18 games this season, say he played 18 (15 regular season games + 3 finals games) that is $72,000 + 50,000 = $122,000, how will that affect the cap???

If the NRL ratifies the deal, then the match payment sum for this year will not be counted against the cap this year, but must be taken into account for the following season. Hence, Saints have to find another 72k in next years cap, which could mean another young player leaving, on top of the other senior departures expected.

johns_reds

First Grade
If the NRL ratifies the deal, then the match payment sum for this year will not be counted against the cap this year, but must be taken into account for the following season. Hence, Saints have to find another 72k in next years cap, which could mean another young player leaving, on top of the other senior departures expected.

thanks wasn't sure how it all worked out when the player was outside the top 25.

saint pebba

Coach
The players that are important to our side have been locked up to longer term contracts....

And locked into contracts last year or early this year when most uneducated people were saying, 'who's this guy.'

Priddis and Saffy leaving at the end of this season, there is 250 - 300k there

Costigan is still a chance of leaving at the end of this year, i think it will happen, there is another 150k. Id say Emmett will go also

Blokes like Prior, Hunt, Young Scott and Weyman would not have cost the club much to resign.

2011; Smith and Cooper will leave so that frees up money for the 2012 season.

I dont mind loosing the players listed above, however i would like us to sign Merrin, Stanley and King ASAP.

I dont get how people think it will be impossible for us to stay under the cap..

remember to add in that there is likely to be higher concessions for juniors in the next year or two. This will mean the full amount won't need to go under the cap

Freak2

Juniors
I totally agree that the Dragons have been a voulchers paradise in year's gone by and that they develop their players better than most sides in the NRL.

The talk of how they are achieving this particular Gaz deal though does leave a very foul taste in the mouths of Rugby League lovers.

Back ending and front ending contracts is not doing anything for the game in regards to creating a "LEVEL PLAYING FIELD" which is what the cap is supposedly designed to do.

Another perfect example of why the Cap (in it's current version) is dated and useless in the modern game.

In saying all this I can't wait for Gaz to return to League and in a time when we are talking next TV rights it can only be a boost for the game!! Just wish he was going to a lower ranked side.

dragon_around

Juniors
One of the reasons Melbourne would be so far over the cap for next year also, is because they backended even the shoddy deals. lol

Usain Bolt

Bench
I love how everyone think we are over the cap.

Who was Michael Weyman when we signed him?

Who was Neville Costigan?

Beau Scott?

Jamie Soward?

Unlike other clubs, we improve our players after we sign them, not wait for it to be done then sign them.

That's like saying who was Billy Slater before the Storm signed him

who was Greg Inglis?

Cameron Smith?

Cooper Cronk?

Unlike other clubs, they improved their players after they signed them

petetheileet

First Grade
im pretty sure their last contract was signed/upgraded after those players had become superstars...

thats the difference nut sack!

God-King Dean

Immortal
IF they are signing Gaz, it makes me more confident that Saints are under thecap (quite sad every team is under question everytime a player is signed. Thanks Melbourne....) No way they'd be trying to sign him if they were over, after all the recent controversy.

Dragon Dave

Bench

who was Greg Inglis?

Cameron Smith?

Cooper Cronk?

Yeah. Weyman, Scott, Soward would be on the same wage as Inglis Smith and Cronk. :roll:

The fact that the Dragons are currently in talks with Schubert, Gallop and co. about signing Gaz would mean, to me, that should they be successful in signing him it would be done legally. We are not doing it behind closed doors like the Melbourne Scum

SilentAssassin

Juniors

who was Greg Inglis?

Cameron Smith?

Cooper Cronk?

I wasn't aware they were rejects from other clubs. Players like Greg Inglis would be a superstar no matter where he started.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
and yet pretty much every member of your top 25 would walk into the 13 at my club...

Well that says more about your squad and your coaching than our team ;-)

Bennett has taken the vast majority of our squad who could be considered rejects, simplified their roles and developed a quality "team". Individually there aren't too many players in our squad that require a large paycheck to keep in our colours.

In recent years we've lost Ryles, Gasnier, Stanley, Morris and Poore all having a reasonable chunk of the cap leave the club and we've done little to replace them. We've called on fringe first graders or our lower grades to fill the void.

DubaiSaint

Juniors
Well it seems that he has signed. This is excellent news.

He will get 50k plus $4K per match this year. In 2011 its 400k and 550k in 2012.

It will mean the departure of a number of players unfortunately.

But this is EXACTLY what the cap is for and how it is used shrewdly.

Bennett will coach until 2012 and retire.

He will have class players like Gasnier at his disposal and the club is essentially committing to buy the talent to win a premiership.

Whether we do or not is immaterial. The fact is that now the team will be decimated after 2012 as the loading of contracts will see us be unable to retain talent with guys like Gasnier getting that kind of money.

So, for us Dragons fans its do or die as we will look to rebuild in 2013 with a new coach and rookie talent.

This is the way it works in other (i.e. American) sports with a salary cap. You load up the talent in a short window and try to blitz the competition and win it and then go through a downward cycle of rebuilding.

The only thing in our favour is that we are a financially viable club and will be able to afford to spend our salary cap if it increases in the next TV rights deal. Also, we will benefit incredibly if local juniors and long serving players are discounted (which they should).

If these two eventualities do not materialise, then we have a 3 season window (including this year) to win it.

The difference compared to the Storm is that they loaded there contracts in a stack that meant that this season they would be a million over the $4.1M in the same year. We have stacked contracts so that they total $4.1M each year (presuming we're clean and Schubert is happy).

Well done Dousty.

Chook Norris

First Grade
would the Dragons have to significantly alter their style of play? considering most of the play is directed down the left or B.Moz side of the field..

proto

Juniors
I love how everyone think we are over the cap.

Who was Michael Weyman when we signed him?

Who was Neville Costigan?

Beau Scott?

Jamie Soward?

Unlike other clubs, we improve our players after we sign them, not wait for it to be done then sign them.

ummmm

Costigan played for QLD before going to Sts

Weyman was always championed about as a next big thing but was HUGELY plagued by injuries, canberra let him go as a nice thing really, a change of scenery can really just help actually

Soward was always said to have quite the talent

Scott sucked arse previously, thats 1.

Ulysseus

Bench
The players that are important to our side have been locked up to longer term contracts....

And locked into contracts last year or early this year when most uneducated people were saying, 'who's this guy.'

Priddis and Saffy leaving at the end of this season, there is 250 - 300k there

Costigan is still a chance of leaving at the end of this year, i think it will happen, there is another 150k. Id say Emmett will go also

Blokes like Prior, Hunt, Young Scott and Weyman would not have cost the club much to resign.

2011; Smith and Cooper will leave so that frees up money for the 2012 season.

I dont mind loosing the players listed above, however i would like us to sign Merrin, Stanley and King ASAP.

I dont get how people think it will be impossible for us to stay under the cap..

I was kinda hoping we'd be able to hold onto Costigan and Smith a little longer.
They go great guns when not injured, they add mongrel and can hit.

Latest posts