What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Roosters main rivals for 2004

On behalf of all Penrith Rugby League fans I'd just like to say a few things.

First of all....we are no chance of winning the title in 2004. I mean, look at our lineup....we have got nothing!

We were just lucky to win the 2003 Minor Premier.

We just happened to fluke wins over Brisbane, a red hot Warriors side and the favoured Roosters side to win the 2003 Grand Final.

Our players are not good enough for rep football so please dont select them.

Ontop of all this....we havent got that many supporters. How can a little club in Western Sydney compete with the likes of Sydney and Brisbane? Its not like we have a massive League club, record breaking crowds and the worlds largers junior Rugby League base to fall back on.

Last but not least....us Penrith supporters are very bitter over the 2003 Grand Final. Alot of people called it the best Grand Final ever. A game between two in form teams, a game that saw one of those teams lift themselves and beat a more fancied opponent.

But us Penrith fans know the true story.

The Roosters just didnt turn up to play. They wernt even taking the game seriously. Infact most, if not all fans still believe that the Roosters are the true 2003 Premiers and nothing will ever change that.

People wrote Penrith off all year.

We couldnt win the minor premier and the Roosters would beat us to it.

We would fall apart in the finals against a experienced Broncos side.

Our defence would fail against a top form Warriors outfit.

We would have no answer for a red hot Roosters side in the Grand Final.

Penrith fans love it. Im sure penrith fans hope for more of the same in 2004.

nospam49

JJ

Immortal
antonius said:
Roosterphin said:
antonius said:
Rooster Cogburn. said:
Newcastle: Of course only if Johns is fit. Without the mouthguard thrower Newcastle are like a jet with no wings. They lack confidence, have no direction and are generally a rabble. But with a determined, in form Johns steering them around they are a completely different team. With Kennedy, Simpson, Buderus, Hughes, Gidley as well as wide arse they posess some very skillfull and dangerous players. When they are on they are one of the best teams in the world but heaven help them if Johns doesn't produce.
Clag, check your sides record without Fittler! I think you'll find it's worse than Newcastles without Johns. Remind me who was it that almost got your lot last season while Freddy was sitting on the bench resting, then panic stations sounded, back on went Freddy and you struggled home thanks to Freddy?? Souths wasn't it??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Antonius I think you will find that YOU are wrong and that the Naughts record without Johns is far worse than the Roosters without Freddy. Check your figs mate before making rash statements

Did you get those facts Roosterphin? :lol: Good. What was that about rash statements? ;-)

You don't mean that the noble roosters fans are embellishing their truly great team's record and telling half truths...

Surely not, say it ain't so... You mean the Roosters aren't the greatest team ever, and a cert for the premiership in 2004, and I shouldn't have mortgaged the house and put the money on them to win... :?

You mean... they're a limited team, dependent on Brad Fittler??? That the great Brett Finch does not stand up and dominate games when Fittler is not there???

wittyfan

Referee
I think Penrith, the team that totally outclassed the Roosters in the Grand Final, will be the team to beat next year. Providing they don't let the euphoria of victory become a long hangover. :)

antonius

Coach
JJ said:
You don't mean that the noble roosters fans are embellishing their truly great team's record and telling half truths...

Surely not, say it ain't so... You mean the Roosters aren't the greatest team ever, and a cert for the premiership in 2004, and I shouldn't have mortgaged the house and put the money on them to win... :?

You mean... they're a limited team, dependent on Brad Fittler??? That the great Brett Finch does not stand up and dominate games when Fittler is not there???
That's one way of putting it I suppose. I prefer to think of them being so busy strutting around preening and prooping their tail feathers that sometimes they forget that they're really only male chickens that make a lot of noise.

Roosterphin

Juniors
antonius said:
Roosterphin said:
antonius said:
Rooster Cogburn. said:
Newcastle: Of course only if Johns is fit. Without the mouthguard thrower Newcastle are like a jet with no wings. They lack confidence, have no direction and are generally a rabble. But with a determined, in form Johns steering them around they are a completely different team. With Kennedy, Simpson, Buderus, Hughes, Gidley as well as wide arse they posess some very skillfull and dangerous players. When they are on they are one of the best teams in the world but heaven help them if Johns doesn't produce.
Clag, check your sides record without Fittler! I think you'll find it's worse than Newcastles without Johns. Remind me who was it that almost got your lot last season while Freddy was sitting on the bench resting, then panic stations sounded, back on went Freddy and you struggled home thanks to Freddy?? Souths wasn't it??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Antonius I think you will find that YOU are wrong and that the Naughts record without Johns is far worse than the Roosters without Freddy. Check your figs mate before making rash statements

Did you get those facts Roosterphin? :lol:

Here they are again in case you missed them Clag might be interested too and for that matter all the other Gooster fans that continually push this worn out one man team crap.

Brisbane are even less capable of winning without Darren Lockyer than Newcastle are without Andrew Johns or Sydney Roosters without Brad Fittler.

Surprising statistics obtained by The Sun-Herald show Brisbane's winning percentage without Lockyer in the side since the NRL was formed in 1998 slipped under 30 per cent after Friday night's 13-6 loss to Penrith.

The Broncos have played 17 games without the Queensland and Australian fullback during that time for 11 losses, one draw and only five wins.

That represents a winning percentage of just 29.4, as opposed to Brisbane's overall winning percentage of 63.1 and their winning percentage with Lockyer in the side of 67.1.

Andrew Johns and Brad Fittler have long been considered the prime examples of great players who have so much influence on the performances of their respective teams that their teammates struggle without them.

The statistics have always provided the evidence and, in the case of halfback Johns at Newcastle and five-eighth Fittler at Sydney Roosters, they are remarkably similar.

Since 1998, the Knights have played 24 games without Johns and won just nine of them, at 37.5 per cent. That is compared to their overall winning record of 61.4 and their record with Johns of 65.9.

The Roosters have played 15 games without Fittler during that time and won just five of them, at 33.3. They stand at 61.8 overall and 64.8 with Fittler.

Good. What was that about rash statements? ;-)

These figs were as at the Brisbane v penrith game. I think you will find that Johns didnt play much for the rest of the year. I think youll find Freddy missed a couple of games we won.

Guess what - THE NUMBERS HAVE CHANGED!!!!!

Encurly

Juniors
Roosterphin said:
These figs were as at the Brisbane v penrith game. I think you will find that Johns didnt play much for the rest of the year. I think youll find Freddy missed a couple of games we won.

Indeed they have. Since that article the Roosters have won 1 from 1 without Fittler, against the might of Manly. That lifts their overall rate to 6 from 16, or 37.5%.

Newcastle have played 5 games without Johns, and won 3. That takes their total to 12 from 29, or 41.4%.

NEXT!

sullyfan said:
I think Penrith, the team that totally outclassed the Roosters in the Grand Final, will be the team to beat next year. Providing they don't let the euphoria of victory become a long hangover. :)

Penrith can definitely win again -- but only if they have another freakish, injury-free run like they did this year. Otherwise, they simply don't have the depth in key positions.

Southernsaint

Staff member
Renowned League Expert said:
sullyfan said:

Penrith can definitely win again -- but only if they have another freakish, injury-free run like they did this year. Otherwise, they simply don't have the depth in key positions.

Origin selection will come nto it as well. In 2003 they had Sattler selected for one match - the Panthers will have a far bigger involvement this season, how the key players can recover from the extra work-load will determine the success of their season...

Cheers,
Ben S.

Roosterphin

Juniors
Encurly said:
Roosterphin said:

Indeed they have. Since that article the Roosters have won 1 from 1 without Fittler, against the might of Manly. That lifts their overall rate to 6 from 16, or 37.5%.

Newcastle have played 5 games without Johns, and won 3. That takes their total to 12 from 29, or 41.4%.

NEXT!

OK I stand corrected. I made a call and I was wrong. Apologies to Antonius also

Misty Bee

First Grade
Roosters main rivals? For what?

Maybe Latte week at Double Bay, an exhibition of nuveau lesbian artwork from muslin transvestites with epilepsy at a Paddo duplex, or maybe the mardi gras.

Traditionally, it's been Canterbury. BUt only with the chequebook.

OIn the field, they will get flogged by Parra. Moreley schmoreley. Hindy will EAT THE POMMY FOR BREAKKY!!!

sretsoor

Juniors
nospam49 said:
How can a little club in Western Sydney compete with the likes of Sydney and Brisbane? Its not like we have a massive League club, record breaking crowds and the worlds largers junior Rugby League base to fall back on.
nospam49

Little club?The Panthers are the richest club in league. I also think from memory The Panthers where number 1 or 2 richest club in all of Australia.

Just makes me laugh that everyone craps on about the Roosters being the richest yet the dont even make it in the top 10 of rich clubs whereas 4 other leagues club do, Panthers and Bulldogs being 2 of them. Cant remember the other 2.

Southernsaint

Staff member
sretsoor said:
nospam49 said:
How can a little club in Western Sydney compete with the likes of Sydney and Brisbane? Its not like we have a massive League club, record breaking crowds and the worlds largers junior Rugby League base to fall back on.
nospam49

Little club?The Panthers are the richest club in league. I also think from memory The Panthers where number 1 or 2 richest club in all of Australia.

Just makes me laugh that everyone craps on about the Roosters being the richest yet the dont even make it in the top 10 of rich clubs whereas 4 other leagues club do, Panthers and Bulldogs being 2 of them. Cant remember the other 2.

Doesn't matter how rich a club is, most of them still can only spend $3.25 million a year on players...

Cheers,
Ben S.

Roosterphin

Juniors
Southernsaint said:
sretsoor said:
nospam49 said:
nospam49

Doesn't matter how rich a club is, most of them still can only spend $3.25 million a year on players...

Cheers,
Ben S.

Be careful southernsaint. Wouldnt want to make an unsubstantiated comment about something that you have absiolutely no proof on now would we. ;-)

No...your all wrong.

The Panthers are a tiny, tiny little club that shouldnt have won the 2003 Minor Premiership or the 2003 Grand Final.

Infact as a Panthers fan I think it was all a big mistake. I think the Roosters should go into 2004 confident that it could happen again.....could it!

As for the lack of depth the Panthers are supposed to have......name on Panthers player that is VITAL to the team winning games.

The Roosters have Fittler, Knight have Johns, Broncos have Lockyer, Warriors have Jones......but who is the on player Penrith relys on to make or break their season?

They dont have one of those players, and thats their strength.

I wouldnt be surprised to see Penrith once again brushed when it comes to rep football.

Can Clinton force his way into the NSW pack ahead of more fancied players? Gower wont be there, neither will Girdler. Lewis and Rooney should be there....but probably wont get a chance.

Campbell, no.
Wesser, not likley.

I could see the Panthers not getting a single call up for the first Origin match.

After all they won everything in 2003 and only got token representation for Australia...

antonius

Coach
Roosterphin said:
Encurly said:
Roosterphin said:

NEXT!

OK I stand corrected. I made a call and I was wrong. Apologies to Antonius also
Accepted.

nospam49 said:
As for the lack of depth the Panthers are supposed to have......name on Panthers player that is VITAL to the team winning games.

They dont have one of those players, and thats their strength.

Well, you don't know, because they haven't been tested yet w/out key players.

But I would hazard a guess that if Gower or Priddis were to spend a long time on the sidelines in 2004, Penrith's chances would suffer tremendously. It's okay to say, well, if Gower gets injured we can play Campbell at half and Girdler at five-eighth, but it doesn't quite work that way ... it alters the chemistry of the team, the patterns, and all kinds of things.

I have a good friend who says the same thing about Canterbury, how they don't rely on just one player. But we all saw how their season derailed this year as soon as Sherwin's injury began to incapacitate him.

I think in his own way, Gower is just as important to Penrith as Fittler, Johns, Lockyer and co are to their respective teams.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Most of the argument seems to be about why the Roosters are favourite.

Of course all the Roosters supporters tend to agree, supposedly due to the fact that the Panthers don't have any depth.

Lets see....................................

Fact 1. The Panthers won the Minor Premiership, hence the best team all year, not just on the day.

Fact 2. The Panthers won the Grand Final, best team on the day also.

Fact 3. The Panthers played in the Premier League Grand Final. This tells me they have depth.

Where do the Roosters facts come from.

Perhaps they might be favourites on Centrebet due to the fact that a well know Aussie icon (billionaire), who suports them, is known for his big plunges on Centrebet.

But lets not let the facts interfere with the Roosters fantasies.

Latest posts