What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The rumour continues: Sonny Bill out for season?

innsaneink

Referee
dubopov said:
I don't give two sh*ts about Williams one way or another, but on the Jubilee Avenue Forum, a reliable Poster has said that Williams is out for 4-5 weeks with two stress fractures in the ankle..

Just a matter of sorting out the reliable sources from the posters blowin sh*t out their arses, bit like looking for a needle in a haystack.

aids

Bench
FYI

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,18129235-23214,00.html

Sonny Bill out for six weeks
February 13, 2006

INJURY-prone Bulldogs forward Sonny Bill Williams has suffered another setback in his bid to get back on the field in the NRL.

His club issued a short statement this morning saying the 20-year-old New Zealand international would be sidelined for six weeks after scans had revealed stress fractures in a foot.

Williams is still on the road to recovery after he suffered a serious knee injury last year.

The NRL season kicks off in less than a month's time, with the first round on March 10-12.

AAP

aussies1st

Staff member
Geez that guy is really injury prone. I hope he doesn't follow Weyman with these injuries.

SOULS 04

Juniors
poor bastard....
i love watching sbw play he is phenominal... will be a real shame if he doesnt make a full recovery

Hurriflatch

Referee
SBW is now officially the next David Woods

All the talent you could ever want

but more brittle then a Glass Doll

ngunity

Juniors
I'm reminded of some posters who were predicting Sonny's body wouldn't hold up back in the 2004 finals when he was shoulder charging the crap out of everyone. funny that it's his legs that fell apart first really....

I hope for SBW's sake he can put together a season and a career but I'm not feeling exuberant. For the Dog's sake I hope we can re-sign him end of this year for a pittance, he'd be a disloyal bugger to take $800k for 2 years in hospital then shuttle off elsewhere.

on the lighter side I reckon the dogs should get Windscreens O'Brien in as personal health care for SBW as he's quite obviously made of glass. all you punters saying he should drink his milk are spot on. NZ needs more cows and less sheep to keep their young stars bones strong!

I'm feeling some retrospective empathy for Knights (Johns and 13 other first graders), Dragons (Barret, Bailey, Head, Timmo, and Gasnier) who have also lived through some star killing injuries in recent years.

Hurriflatch

Referee
With a manager like Gavin Orr who knows what will happen next time his off contract

might suddenly end up with SBW being the 1st player signed to every RL club in the world in the same year

and all signatures being different

Raider_69

Post Whore
channel 10 just reported he has stress fractures in his foot and will miss the start of the season
his comeback is going to be delayed by anything up to 6 weeks

Hurriflatch

Referee
Williams' setback 'baffling'
By Adrian Proszenko and Daniel Pace
February 13, 2006

THE Bulldogs admit they're baffled by the cause of new injuries which will sideline Sonny Bill Williams for the start of the NRL season.

The injury-dogged, 20-year-old was initially "pretty shattered" after learning he'd developed stress fractures in both feet which will prevent him from playing for about six weeks.

However, he has met with club doctor Hugh Hazard and team officials who have encouraged him to stay positive as he begins yet another rehabilitation stint.

Hailed as an emerging superstar in his 2004 debut year, the backrower has already missed 32 NRL matches in his two seasons through a combination of ankle and knee injuries, while a shoulder injury also cut short his Test appearances in 2004.

Hazard and Bulldogs coach Steve Folkes said today the latest injuries - diagnosed late Friday and made public today - were surprising given the limited amount of impact training Williams had been doing.

The club has been carefully managing Williams' workload as he prepares to return from the serious knee injury suffered in round 13 last season while making his comeback from an ankle injury.

"We're not sure why (it happened), it's unusual because he hasn't done a lot of running," Folkes said today.

"It couldn't be an impact loading thing, I wouldn't think.

"We are already (managing him) so we're a bit puzzled as to why it happened. The medical staff and the logistics staff will have a look at that in the next week or so to see exactly what he needs to do and what he can't do."

Advertisement:
Williams, who didn't want to comment on the injury, had been on track to play in the opening round clash with Penrith at Telstra Stadium, but will now target a round three return against Newcastle.
He played just five games last year, his season ended when he tore cartilage in his right knee.

"His knee is fine, there's no problem with his knee at the moment," Folkes said.

"The stress fractures are just something that need a bit of rest.

"We've got plenty of blokes that don't take part in too much of the training, the ballwork and the skill stuff, so we've managed it with him over long periods of time.

"There's no doubt we can do it (again) with Sonny if it's necessary.

"It's not a major thing, it's not the end of the world."

Bulldogs officials set up a discussion with Williams after the results emerged late Friday.

"We had a meeting and spoke about the need for him to stay focused and start all over again," Hazard said.

"We'll be unloading him of sprint training and ball work. Basically he'll be completely off his feet and won't be running.

"We've got to remember that he's only 20. If we look after him properly there's no reason why he won't get back to his best.

"It's just one of those things," Hazard added.

"I feel for him. He was pretty shattered last Friday when we got the results back but he's down at training again and doing everything that he's allowed to do."

Folkes said the rampaging forward wouldn't be asked to change his hard-running style.

"You just go out and play and if you get injured that's part of the game," he said.

"A lot of it is just about luck ... you can't eliminate injuries from the game."

Reuters
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,18132466-23214,00.html

Not sure if this has been posted already but if the doctors don't know why it's happening it could be a problem.

MrCharisma

Bench
I was at training today and he wasn't there... friggin Glass-House Williams... he's the new Andrew Johns.

Can't wait til Round 3 thou... if Sonny and Andrew are playing, I'm sure we're going to see a double season injury in one night

Lantana

Juniors
This is all smoke to cover over how poorly his knee is recuperating.

By stating it is an unrelated incident that doesn't show up on an x-ray (hugh hazard would conduct any die-injecting scans that show stress fractures) this allows the Bulldogs to laugh off the 'crock' comments and free's the kid up from having the unrelenting media scrutinize his knee problem.
Shaun Timmins reckons it was the near undoing of him and he could hide in Kiama whist he was recupperating, this poor bastard has got the hacks at his door.
He will use the 12 weeks up which will put the injury at nearly 1 year, pretty heavy when you consider players have come back from total knee reco's in less than 6 months.
I hope the big fella get's back on the field and he gets another 200 games out of that leg.
(means he'll have to keep playing until he is 57 though)

ak47

Juniors
he has arthritic knees

this could be a cover-up for what is fully serious, as the doctors believed his knees are te equivilent of a 30+ yr olds

if not, he is just glass

either way, SBW is gorne..............his career is over before it began

i feel sorry for him, but these things happen