What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

BLM01

First Grade
We have a salary cap and now we need a third party cap. Say one player can have $100,000 then the remainder lets say $400,000 must be split over the remaining players with a max amount per player. Then at the end o each year all players must produce their tax returns for verification.
You cannot limit a players earnings outside an NRL salary cap. It is illegal and that include third party payments, earnings, endorsements etc
It is like going round in circles. The salary cap limit is the same for all clubs. What people can earn or what someone is willing to accept as salary is not a level playing field.
It will never change. It is up to a club and also player to have pulling power to those outside.
How that is done is the real elephant in the room and it wont be solved until their is a point system of valuee allocated to each playyer and limit per club and then the player can earn and a club pay whatever they want

justadragon

Bench
Especially when you have too many clubs now playing NRL with limited 1st grade talent to go round.
There is your answer and why the usual suspects will be up the top half of the ladder most years
So the only way the weaker teams can improve is to have local talent coming through the ranks, and the good ones would get poached by the stronger teams, what a farce the whole system is. Mind you Penrith seem to have managed quite well across the grades.

BLM01

First Grade
So the only way the weaker teams can improve is to have local talent coming through the ranks, and the good ones would get poached by the stronger teams, what a farce the whole system is. Mind you Penrith seem to have managed quite well across the grades.
Wherever Gus goes, so does player third party payments go with it. He has a lot of pulling power in the corporate sector interested or invested in RL. Of course all at arms length and not organised by the clubs he is at.
But they also have a huge nursery but the fact is as much as I hate to say there are too many teams in the NRL the way it is structured, administered and where their money is funneled.

mickeylane

Bench
They are Professionally Run and Managed ...unlike us
I always said that a successful club in the NRL must have the below in place.

A Chairman that is a Visionary (See Storm, Roosters, Sharks Heads)
A CEO that is industrious and can carry out the clubs vision statement
A Sharp Recruitment or Talent ID Officer (Noel Cleal type, Peter Mulholland during 2004 era)
A Coach that can motivate players w his mere presence, attract players w his reputation, Can create a successful playing style that can be adopted across all grades (Bellamy, Robisnon, Fitzgibbon, Cleary)
A Football Manager that is connected in every RL playing country
A Communication Mgr that Actually speaks to the Supporter base each week
A Pool off Ex Players that represent the club when it comes to attracting new players (Roosters, Sharks, Storm)

We have none of the above in place...hence we are at the monet...we had this in 2009 until 2011 .......then nothing.....

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
As many posters are aware, the original plan was for the salary cap to work hand in hand with a player draft, allowing the bottom clubs to have the pick of the best new talent. Acting together, the playing field is a lot more level. The draft was deemed a restraint of trade and chucked out. On its own, the salary cap obviously doesn't work. The NRL seems reluctant to try to develop anything to replace the draft, so the system is stuffed until they do.

twinkletoes

Juniors
Very interesting conversation on NRL 360 with Braithwaite Anastasia saying that as an example of players going to clubs for less money that players willingly go to Roosters do e less because of the coach, the chance for success and most interestingly the chance to make connections with the likes of Mark Bouris, David Gyngell, Politis and other influential people who are on their board, which quite often lead to opportunities for making more money during and after their football careers.

we are sadly lacking in star talent on our board… enough said on why we will never compete in the modern game

thebigredv

First Grade
Very interesting conversation on NRL 360 with Braithwaite Anastasia saying that as an example of players going to clubs for less money that players willingly go to Roosters do e less because of the coach, the chance for success and most interestingly the chance to make connections with the likes of Mark Bouris, David Gyngell, Politis and other influential people who are on their board, which quite often lead to opportunities for making more money during and after their football careers.

we are sadly lacking in star talent on our board… enough said on why we will never compete in the modern game

Good luck to those clubs but it is now a blight on the game. It's done damage. While it may be impossible to work around as it stands, I think the NRL need to wake up to themselves and reinvent the salary cap system soon.

You could argue there has been just enough diversity in recent comp winners (i.e. Roosters, Panthers, Storm, and prior to that Sharks, Souths, Cowboys) but the number of times the lesser clubs (Dragons, Warriors, Tigers, Knights, Titans etc.) are getting in the eight is falling well short for what I would call a fair competition. The playing field is not level. That comes down to talent and player contracts mostly and influential coaching. Some of that is on the club itself but these connections make the cap redundant when it boils down to it.

If we had a power broker or connection however (and gosh, we need one) I would probably not be complaining so how much of it is sour grapes? Probably a fair bit also.

Mojo

Bench
Good luck to those clubs but it is now a blight on the game. It's done damage. While it may be impossible to work around as it stands, I think the NRL need to wake up to themselves and reinvent the salary cap system soon.

You could argue there has been just enough diversity in recent comp winners (i.e. Roosters, Panthers, Storm, and prior to that Sharks, Souths, Cowboys) but the number of times the lesser clubs (Dragons, Warriors, Tigers, Knights, Titans etc.) are getting in the eight is falling well short for what I would call a fair competition. The playing field is not level. That comes down to talent and player contracts mostly and influential coaching. Some of that is on the club itself but these connections make the cap redundant when it boils down to it.

If we had a power broker or connection however (and gosh, we need one) I would probably not be complaining so how much of it is sour grapes? Probably a fair bit also.
The salary cap isn’t a ‘cap’. It basically sets a floor price, which makes TPA’s the deciding factor. So, clubs simply have to attract wealthy owners or benefactors if they wish to remain competitive. This is accentuated by the growth and expansion strategies of the NRL with the result that the talent is becoming increasingly concentrated and the competition is splitting into clubs that dominate and others that can’t hope to make it. I don’t know what the solution is but it begs the question: how do sponsors and owners profit from ownership? Since the NRL is systematically pursuing this system of encouraging private investment, it needs to look at ways to make all clubs more attractive for investors. Leaving clubs to sink or swim disrespects and disregards other stakeholders like members and supporters.
Unfortunately IMO, long gone are the days when RL was a suburban, tribal contest.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors

Agree- can't see players flocking to the Gong to get the chance to hang off every word of the 94yo Bruce Gordon (or his son Andrew or daughter Genevieve) none of whom are known for their passion for Rugby League. Bruce Wayne would be a more attractive proposition.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
The coach plays a huge role in attracting players not only in the NRL but in all codes especially soccer in the big leagues. Some of the big guns in soccer are sacrificing millions to play for Klopp, Mourinho, Guardiola etc just to play under a system where will improve their game and get success. Saints had that pull when they had Bennett unfortunately management did not pick up or learn from this and since then continue to pick duds. Fitzy alone never coached in the NRL before Hook yet was able to attract players and look at the Sharks how well they are on and off the field.

Saints really need to make sure that their next coaching appointment will not only help improve the squad but make the club a more attractive place to go to for players and sponsors.

justadragon

Bench
As many posters are aware, the original plan was for the salary cap to work hand in hand with a player draft, allowing the bottom clubs to have the pick of the best new talent. Acting together, the playing field is a lot more level. The draft was deemed a restraint of trade and chucked out. On its own, the salary cap obviously doesn't work. The NRL seems reluctant to try to develop anything to replace the draft, so the system is stuffed until they do.
Works in the AFL

Dragon David

First Grade

The NRL just doesn’t get it, who is interested in a competition where only 4/6 clubs are any chance of winning a premiership.
I'm pissed about the whole thing where several clubs just get the better men while we continue to get reserve graders. Gould saying that the Bulldogs have plenty of money to spend big for 2024 and looking at signing a marquee player and the Roosters chasing the big ones as well, what chances do we as a down and out club have of getting someone worthwhile? It's all crap.

Midway through this year I have a feeling that I won't be following the game, that is how pissed off I am about everything Dragons at the moment.

Trifili13

Juniors
I have read in several places that although the draft was knocked back by the courts, they were different times and if it is reintroduced it might actually get approved. Problem is, is the NRL admin willing to upset the big teams for the overall betterment of the comp?

Also don't compare EPL players willing to give up a million or 2 to play for a big club or coach when they are already on big dollars.

Also these post career opportunities that the Rooster's players keep talking about. Surely they should be scrutinised as it is skirting the salary cap by offering them opportunities that would not be available if that player was not associated with the Rooster's.

Latest posts