What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

TheRev

Coach
The rumours on here are that many of those players have already been invited to look for other clubs.. its just whether they get offers (offers that we dont need to subsidise), there may also be some that get released early 2024 after Flanagan has spent time with them (Feagais are a prime example).

Worst case some of those end up staying till end of 2024.. most of the underperforming contracts only have the year left.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Lomax will need to engage in sprint training

Lacks the speed to play the position.

Perhaps won’t matter if he saves tries in defence and is good under the high ball.

Agree re speed. The good full-backs now also have the skills of a half in terms of throwing short and long passes to outside supports. With his obsession with backhand flicks, he might find this the most challenging skill to develop.

TheRev

Coach
I think Lomax could be a different type of fullback.. would he be a similar built to Nicoll-Klokstad? Lomax would never be as effective as the elite.. but he's going to bring huge carries.. max effort.. great aerial skills.. my fear is that damn flick pass.. it really seems to be his only trick.. it doesnt need to be though.. its just something he has gotten the habit of.. but as a fullback he 90% of the time needs to throw a normal pass.. im not sure how well he will chime in to the backline.. with selective long passes etc..

The whole thing is still an experiment tbh.. im not 100% sure we will make it work.. and im not sure its locked in.. its more of a pre-season trial.. this whole thing is more about Sloane than Lomax.. im rly curious if Flanno has any intention of buying an outside back... maybe if Ramsey and/or Turner leave the squad..

BLM01

First Grade
Over the past 2 years and the current year, Sloane has had ample opportunity to show his potential. He still can’t tackle, catch a bomb, take a hit up, direct the defence or put his body on the line. Dufty was the same. The only plus in Dufty’s game was he could set up a number of tries with his cut out passes.
Time to pick players on performance not potential. I’d piss off Sloane asap. We have a ready made replacement in Lomax. Next a winger who is tall, can catch a bomb, take a hit up and has pace. Hence no place for Sloane in our top 30 going forward.
Lomax has not got the passing game or pace Sloane has to play fullback regardless of the defensive and error upside ATM and Lomax likes to shimmy shimmy the defence. Sloane I agree needs competition to compete but Lomax has more value at centre for me if he gets good early and clean ball

BLM01

First Grade
I think Lomax could be a different type of fullback.. would he be a similar built to Nicoll-Klokstad? Lomax would never be as effective as the elite.. but he's going to bring huge carries.. max effort.. great aerial skills.. my fear is that damn flick pass.. it really seems to be his only trick.. it doesnt need to be though.. its just something he has gotten the habit of.. but as a fullback he 90% of the time needs to throw a normal pass.. im not sure how well he will chime in to the backline.. with selective long passes etc..

The whole thing is still an experiment tbh.. im not 100% sure we will make it work.. and im not sure its locked in.. its more of a pre-season trial.. this whole thing is more about Sloane than Lomax.. im rly curious if Flanno has any intention of buying an outside back... maybe if Ramsey and/or Turner leave the squad..
Dont like it personally. Pace and evasiveness, passing game, hitting holes is what worry me with him at fullback (basically the attack side except for catching a ball) CNK is a far better fullback ATM

teza

Juniors
Lomax at fb, wow and it's not 1st April. I recall he was tried there before, too slow and doesn't have much of a passing game. Any incursions into the backline would offer little threat, oppostion defence would slide and belt our winger over the sideline. Sloan offers far more in attack and with another off-season and plenty of work in the gym and on the tackling bags is worth persevering with.

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
I would have loved to see if Lomax could have got within 10 meters of Saab on the wknd if they ran that same deep attacking play

I reckon they would run the same play 10 times a game if Loamx is FB

Phantom V

Juniors
Lomax has not got the passing game or pace Sloane has to play fullback regardless of the defensive and error upside ATM and Lomax likes to shimmy shimmy the defence. Sloane I agree needs competition to compete but Lomax has more value at centre for me if he gets good early and clean ball
I’m with you BLM01. I think Lomax will be solid at the back but Sloan offers that X factor that we need particularly at FB. I’d rather they spend extra time developing Sloan and fixing his deficiencies in time for 24.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Sick of watching Sloane at fullback. Does less than Dufty ever did in attack. Still won't tackle. Happy to let the high ball bounce. You just know he's going to do something stupid and give the opposition a leg-up. We've tried three speedy fullbacks in recent years, and the only one who's been OK was Ramsey. Time to try something new. I'm happy to see Lomax or someone else, anyone else, given a go.

St.Brisbane

Juniors
I don't want to bag Sloan and i hope he continues to develop. We are all aware of his weaknesses that he needs to work on. My concern is that like many of our Juniors even his strengths do not warrant the money and demands that we have seen. They have touches of brilliance but haven't controlled a whole game or even have the physical presence of similar Juniors at other clubs. Players such as Bula and Tyrone Munro show as much promise without the demands of our guys.

BLM01

First Grade
Sick of watching Sloane at fullback. Does less than Dufty ever did in attack. Still won't tackle. Happy to let the high ball bounce. You just know he's going to do something stupid and give the opposition a leg-up. We've tried three speedy fullbacks in recent years, and the only one who's been OK was Ramsey. Time to try something new. I'm happy to see Lomax or someone else, anyone else, given a go.
Dufty was still doing that at 25. Even Drinkwater was cast aside by Melbourne when young. Edwards has just come on past 2-3 years. Yes very few do have it at early age (sub 21) and Yes Sloane needs improvement but he is still young. There is a bit of time left

Latest posts