What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Well there goes those two.. that is how you get deals done!!
Like a few others here, I think both players were long odds to ever leave the GC.
I think we are a much better chance of picking up a player or two from Manly in the coming weeks/months, or from Flanagan's other old stomping ground, the Sharks.
The UK Super League would also have players wanting to test themselves in the NRL.

shiloh dc

Juniors
Manly are in a salary cap pickle - they have Schuster on spine money but they are now realising he may be better served in the forwards. The problem is they already have non-spine forwards Jurbo & Olakua'atu on huge money. One of these three may need to be sacrificed. Clearly not going to be Jurbo.
Last year i was keen on Schuster but he appears to have regressed and seems to put his role above that of the team. So now its a no for him. Olakua'atu would be a handy pick up at the right price.
History has taught us to be weary of buying Manly players - Suli comes to mind.
And I stress again - under no circumstances - Harper!

possm

Coach
That’s the problem for me. Best case scenario , Flanagan has everything under control and plenty of signings to be announced at end of season. Worst case is he has no real signings instead more moneyball , Hunt leaves due to another bullshit broken promise and with Bud already gone we get Flanagan junior as clubs premier No 7. BUT I will be patient, trust Flanno and await the resurgence of the club ( would Be good to see some of the incompetence sacked like Millard & Haran just to fastrack this resurgence)
I have no problem with a K Flannagan signing. I do believe we still have some talented young halves in the club who will come through the ranks and keep Kyle honest.

The positive is that we will have plenty of cash to beef up our forward pack and I'm sure Flanno won't let us down with this.

Dragsters

First Grade
Manly are in a salary cap pickle - they have Schuster on spine money but they are now realising he may be better served in the forwards. The problem is they already have non-spine forwards Jurbo & Olakua'atu on huge money. One of these three may need to be sacrificed. Clearly not going to be Jurbo.
Last year i was keen on Schuster but he appears to have regressed and seems to put his role above that of the team. So now its a no for him. Olakua'atu would be a handy pick up at the right price.
And I stress again - under no circumstances - Harper!

Olakua'atu would be a quality get...

twinkletoes

Juniors
I have no problem with a K Flannagan signing. I do believe we still have some talented young halves in the club who will come through the ranks and keep Kyle honest.

The positive is that we will have plenty of cash to beef up our forward pack and I'm sure Flanno won't let us down with this.
I think we’re all putting too much faith in Flannaghan

TheRev

Coach
I think we’re all putting too much faith in Flannaghan
He will land a couple of players before next year, and i reckon a couple more early season (particularly if we win some games).. but agree 100%, he has probably found its much harder than expected to get recruits onboard.. especially when hes not actually at the club yet.. and we aren't winning games.. Shane's reputation alone isn't enough.

Then throw in the cap increase plus unlike any other season I can ever remember.. there are not the usual bunch of clubs in crisis... basically every other NRL club is sporting a pretty damn good roster & coach (possible exclusion for Benji/Sheens)... the bar is set high.

This is the consequence to extending hook.. we fell out of the recruitment game for 18mths.. and that "easy" decision will hurt us into next year.. I think it'll be a full 12 months before we start to really get names that excite us fans.

TheRev

Coach
Olakua'atu would be a quality get...
It would be a nice touch if Flanno's Manly influence was enough to jag a decent player or 3 out of Manly.. atleast he has the inside running.. I do wonder if player managers are as much a part of all that though.

Ironically it was Flanno who sunk the Paseka deal when he went there.. self-sabotage, he just didnt know it at the time.

saintmar

Juniors
I’m afraid with the dunce Haran running football operations and recruitment there will be no one of note coming next year regardless of Flannaghan…. We want trumpet Sele as a a major signing…. What a joke!!!! Nothin changes at this club… there are no players of any note available for next year
Flano is doing the recruitment now.This is a clear reflection of his recruitment power

BLM01

First Grade
Flano is doing the recruitment now.This is a clear reflection of his recruitment power
You are kidding are you not. Sure we are not attractive yet but not solely on Flanno.
Every club would of wanted a Tino or Fifita etc. Melb wanted Tino back Canberra laid out the red carpet for Fifita.
I am glad if anything the club they are at now playing their best they are loyal to and signed long term deals and no-on else snapped him up. I will say the same if Haas stays in Brisbane and not signs elsewhere.
Of course i would loved one of those players but we should of got them and held onto them when they are young. I take my hat of for being loyal but would of been peeved if they went to say a glamour club. Lets develop or find our own and do the same.
10 yr deal at 1 mill a year...big risk. Good on him. But what else has been thrown in?
Everyone knocks Hunt and lately deservedly so... but 10 yr deals.
DCE has not taken Manly to many Top 4 finishes and not so sure how to measure big JT's success at the Cowboys from a 10 year deal. JT seems to have been used incorrectly or he floats in and out.

Last edited:
Townsend can kick field goals and close a game better than Hunt but his defence is not as good as Hunt.
Then it must be terrible, as Hunt had the most missed tackles in '22 and was third worst in '20. He is still the clubs least effective defender. Ezra Mam who some say they want here is the second most inaffective tackler in the comp this season.

Last edited:
Suli has been fine, but reckon he is playing out of position. His bullocking running style is best suited in the pack. He certainly has the bulk to make the transition to either the middle or the edge. I believe that pair of former Manly props, Fifita and Tuitavake will be good value when they make firsts too. Perhaps try Tui on the edge if in need of one.

BLM01

First Grade
Suli has been fine, but reckon he is playing out of position. His bullocking running style is best suited in the pack. He certainly has the bulk to make the transition to either the middle or the edge. I believe that pair of former Manly props, Fifita and Tuitavake will be good value when they make firsts too. Perhaps try Tui on the edge if in need of one.
He does not have the work ethic in defense for the middle. Change that which I doubt fully then you may have something.

Latest posts