What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Trifili13

Juniors
So what would you have them do? Play for an amount that you decide is worthy of stomaching, or for a club that you deem acceptable? Feels like you're the one having it both ways. If you can't "simply stomach it" then I'm afraid this particular professional sport is not the right entertainment for you - but there are hundreds of thousands, if not millions, who make it financially viable for the players to earn that kind of money. I think they're worth it, certainly worth more than the eye-watering amounts elite soccer players earn - especially given the brutality of this sport. Feel free to join your boomer mate Old Timer watching some brickies and gyprockers put a granny flat up. Sounds as riveting as an Anthony Griffin commentary stint
Nowhere did i say they should play for an amount that I can stomach or for a team acceptable to me. If you read it carefully i did say that i am happy for anyone to earn as much as they can. But why do elite sports people keep on referring to only having a short time to make their money? Does life or earning capacity finish for them when they retire lets say in their mid 30s and earning a normal wage after that like most people below them just because they played a sport at an elite level? Now i agree it's a brutal sport and what they put their bodies through and i would say many would suffer pain from the hits they cope and deserve more money for what they do. But they go into it with eyes wide open of the consequences that there is a high probably of the pain they have to live with in future years.

possm

Coach
So what would you have them do? Play for an amount that you decide is worthy of stomaching, or for a club that you deem acceptable? Feels like you're the one having it both ways. If you can't "simply stomach it" then I'm afraid this particular professional sport is not the right entertainment for you - but there are hundreds of thousands, if not millions, who make it financially viable for the players to earn that kind of money. I think they're worth it, certainly worth more than the eye-watering amounts elite soccer players earn - especially given the brutality of this sport. Feel free to join your boomer mate Old Timer watching some brickies and gyprockers put a granny flat up. Sounds as riveting as an Anthony Griffin commentary stint
I fit into the older age group of members on this forum and apologize for often reflecting on how things used to be. To be fair some good things have happened that improved the game or the plight of players but on the whole, I believe the game has changed to the extent that it probably needs to return to some of the old ways. I'd like to see the following changes at NRL level:
1. Player contracts return to extra payments for:
a. Being available to play in any grade.
b. Being selected to play in first grade.
c. Being paid extra for a win
2. Having a bench of 10 players:
a. Players must have played a lower-grade game in the current round.
b. When a player comes off, he stays off no matter what the reason is (except for sin bin).
3. Bring back the use of a 5min sin bin for minor offenses.

possm

Coach
Got to hope that the musgroves bmm etc that flanno has told free to go manage to pick up new contracts elsewhere that gives more spots and $ to pick up better cattle otherwise we have minimum spots left
Wouldn't it be great if the Dragons had a sistership arrangement with St Helens in the ESL whereby, we could exchange players mid-contract when required?

Also, I think our scouts should be checking out RU players located on NZ South Island. Hopefully, we could find some big bopper forwards who one day could return to make up a new South Island NRL team.

justadragon

Bench
Watching the baby donkeys and Storm the gulf between ours and theres seems enormous. Tristan going well too
You know I was thinking the same thing watching that game, I think the difference is when juniors come into our side they are coming into a desperate underperforming team and touted as the messiah, with heaps of pressure to get the club out of the mess we are in. Whilst other juniors seem to slot seamlessly into a well oiled machine. Having the coach and staff that could nurture these juniors would also help a lot. Classic example Penrith right across all grades.

Tristan going well too
Recall Wendell being pleased his boy had followed his footsteps and joined the Dragons. But as soon as a conduct issue came up the youngster was out the door. I abhor the unfairness of the NRL stand down policy when a player is charged. Hello what happened to 'innocent until proven guilty'. We lost the services of our heart and soul Jack de Belin for over two seasons because of this, same with what Wendell's boy could have offered us.

Last edited:
You know I was thinking the same thing watching that game, I think the difference is when juniors come into our side they are coming into a desperate underperforming team and touted as the messiah, with heaps of pressure to get the club out of the mess we are in. Whilst other juniors seem to slot seamlessly into a well oiled machine. Having the coach and staff that could nurture these juniors would also help a lot. Classic example Penrith right across all grades.
Good analysis jd. As Dragons diehards we have to dream that we will be that 'well oiled machine' in five years and have the coaching staff to nurture our best juniors, not 'feed them to the lions' and kill their confidence.

Last edited:

thebigredv

First Grade
Good analysis jd. As Dragons diehards we have to live in hope that we will be that 'well oiled machine' in five years and have the coaching staff to nurture our best juniors, not 'feed them to the lions' and kill all their confidence.
If the board block Flanagan in any way I think it will end me as a supporter - at least until there is a major overhaul in who is running and how the club is run.

At least Shane has come in with an outwardly ‘shake things up’ and get success kind of attitude. Not some low key diplomatic and conservative and safe dialogue.

I realise that success will take loads of time but we can take losses as long as there are actual cogs in motion and intelligent changes made - I have read so much wisdom on this forum about player selection and position over the last decade but time and time again we’ve seen the same painful, failing, mediocre selections which have devalued our team no end. I mean fans have been quite generous to Carr whose team has lost the last 5 because ‘we didn’t get flogged’ but I see Matt Feagai is back this week which to me says “oh well just do what is easiest”.

I can’t see Flanagan rewarding ineptness like this but if his hands are tied by the likes of Doust than we are doomed to more of the same that has seen this club fall off the face of the Earth.

Flanagan is no miracle worker but if we can have a coach in our corner who takes underperforming personally and expects high standards then maybe there is hope.

justadragon

Bench
If the board block Flanagan in any way I think it will end me as a supporter - at least until there is a major overhaul in who is running and how the club is run.

At least Shane has come in with an outwardly ‘shake things up’ and get success kind of attitude. Not some low key diplomatic and conservative and safe dialogue.

I realise that success will take loads of time but we can take losses as long as there are actual cogs in motion and intelligent changes made - I have read so much wisdom on this forum about player selection and position over the last decade but time and time again we’ve seen the same painful, failing, mediocre selections which have devalued our team no end. I mean fans have been quite generous to Carr whose team has lost the last 5 because ‘we didn’t get flogged’ but I see Matt Feagai is back this week which to me says “oh well just do what is easiest”.

I can’t see Flanagan rewarding ineptness like this but if his hands are tied by the likes of Doust than we are doomed to more of the same that has seen this club fall off the face of the Earth.

Flanagan is no miracle worker but if we can have a coach in our corner who takes underperforming personally and expects high standards then maybe there is hope.
Well said thebigredv, I dont understand how things roll, there are numerous administrators, directors, coaches, club employees etc that depend on this club being prosperous and successful, why would they let 2 dinosaurs dismantle the club and become a non entity, for the benefit of who ?? Surely there would have to be people that would either reign these guys in or get rid of them, if its obvious to us wouldn't it be obvious to everyone.

Dragon David

First Grade
Well said thebigredv, I dont understand how things roll, there are numerous administrators, directors, coaches, club employees etc that depend on this club being prosperous and successful, why would they let 2 dinosaurs dismantle the club and become a non entity, for the benefit of who ?? Surely there would have to be people that would either reign these guys in or get rid of them, if its obvious to us wouldn't it be obvious to everyone.
My sentiments exactly justa. Several of us have been saying this for yonks.

This could be a bad comparison or analogy but its like in any business enterprise, the members of the board and the managing director would, amongst several other things be accountable to shareholders for the company's business operations and corporate governance in accordance with management objectives and maximisation of shareholders' benefit within the framework of sound business ethics whilst taking into account the benefits of all stakeholder groups.

Andrew Lancaster who is the MD has said -
"As a Board we understand that our fans, sponsors, shareholders and community have expectations of what the Dragons should be and what we should stand for, and it is our role to guide the club to those expectations".

I think that this shows that the current Board Members and MD have failed miserably to meet these accountabilities and expectations over the past several years as shown in the poor results in the performance of our footballers to date and not being able to get things in order.

Hopefully, their decisions of late by sacking Hook and hiring Flanagan and letting Flanagan have their backing with whatever he wants to do within the realms of getting the right players and getting better results as the head coach will result in achieving those expectations we have been patiently waiting for.

qld redvee

Juniors
just read that the young manly fullback Kaeo weekes has pretty well been told he is free to leave if he can get a new club ... Is he worth a shot at picking up to strengthen us ? You would think if he was any good flanno would be in his ear to sign with us . I know he had big wraps on him can vaguely remember him playing in 1sts this year and went pretty good thoughts guys ......

BLM01

First Grade
just read that the young manly fullback Kaeo weekes has pretty well been told he is free to leave if he can get a new club ... Is he worth a shot at picking up to strengthen us ? You would think if he was any good flanno would be in his ear to sign with us . I know he had big wraps on him can vaguely remember him playing in 1sts this year and went pretty good thoughts guys ......
No. Some staunch Manly mates have told me please Flanno take him with you.
They added Harper, Keppie and Burbo and strangely enough Saab becuase of his defence to that list

Last edited:

Latest posts