What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

just read that the young manly fullback Kaeo weekes has pretty well been told he is free to leave if he can get a new club ... Is he worth a shot at picking up to strengthen us ? You would think if he was any good flanno would be in his ear to sign with us . I know he had big wraps on him can vaguely remember him playing in 1sts this year and went pretty good thoughts guys ......
Their NSW Cup fullback Jake Toby is much better than Weekes. Every week, several try assists. Great attacking skills, not seen him enough to comment on his defence. Also, he is only about 4ft tall

possm

Coach
You know I was thinking the same thing watching that game, I think the difference is when juniors come into our side they are coming into a desperate underperforming team and touted as the messiah, with heaps of pressure to get the club out of the mess we are in. Whilst other juniors seem to slot seamlessly into a well oiled machine. Having the coach and staff that could nurture these juniors would also help a lot. Classic example Penrith right across all grades.
In my opinion, our pathways program needs a big revamp. We need to include some big Islander forwards and an improved method when teaching defensive skills.

We have produced far too many juniors who are not skilled in defense and some who have the wrong body shape for a position in the NRL.

Like Penrith, we have a great catchment area within the Illawarra region however, it is what you do with the potential stars is the question that needs to be answered. Above all else, we need to spare no expense on securing highly qualified coaches.

Dragon David

First Grade
In my opinion, our pathways program needs a big revamp. We need to include some big Islander forwards and an improved method when teaching defensive skills.

We have produced far too many juniors who are not skilled in defense and some who have the wrong body shape for a position in the NRL.

Like Penrith, we have a great catchment area within the Illawarra region however, it is what you do with the potential stars is the question that needs to be answered. Above all else, we need to spare no expense on securing highly qualified coaches.
I agree possm that we need to include some big Islander type forwards and I like to add speedy backs as well. They are built to take the ball up hard and strong.

Our juniors in the catchment areas within the Illawarra region are many and they have class, however, most are not built like the Islander guys so I guess that means we need to go out and lure the Islander guys from outside the area to balance what we already have.

Ghostrider22

Juniors
Recall Wendell being pleased his boy had followed his footsteps and joined the Dragons. But as soon as a conduct issue came up the youngster was out the door. I abhor the unfairness of the NRL stand down policy when a player is charged. Hello what happened to 'innocent until proven guilty'. We lost the services of our heart and soul Jack de Belin for over two seasons because of this, same with what Wendell's boy could have offered us.
It’s just a f**king Kangaroo Court you and and everyone here knows it. All it does is it protects who they want protected and they burn the rest, we see time and time again, so corrupt.

It’s just a f**king Kangaroo Court you and and everyone here knows it. All it does is it protects who they want protected and they burn the rest, we see time and time again, so corrupt.
Don't know who that "they" is ghost. There's an absurd gap between sexual assaults that get to court versus those that are reported and get nowhere because the evidentiary requirements are so onerous. I think there's a lot of women who are pretty dis-satisfied with that as a basis for justice (and let's not forget we're talking about evidentiary requirements that were established when women in law were rarer than St George wins under Ryan Carr). I think that the "they" you're talking about is just a lot of ordinary women and the men in the lives.

Like everyone else who wasn't in the court room, I read about De Belin and of course he isn't a convicted rapist, but he's an arsehole, and an arsehole on a whole different scale to, say, a bloke who's just a boneheaded dickhead who gets on the piss. Wouldn't want him anywhere near my sister, my daughter, my wife or any of the women I work with. Massive mixed feelings about him in a St George jersey, even though we've only got four actual first graders in the entire joint and he's one of them.

Our juniors in the catchment areas within the Illawarra region are many and they have class, however, most are not built like the Islander guys
Forgotten the St George area DD , they sure have big Islanders, Leilua was a Saints junior. As for big islanders already in our pathways, and all Saints juniors, Loko Junior, Jacob Halangahu, Carlos Pauli, Finau Latu are four that come to mind. Also one of the Stanley clan, Cyrus Stanley-Traill. We should see the first four in Flegg and possibly Reggies next season, while Loko Jr will play Reggies.
If I was inclined to trawl thru the nine Saints junior clubs, betting I'd find plenty more Pacific Islanders boys..

Do we have a JUNIORS thread, if not we should create one.

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
Forgotten the St George area DD , they sure have big Islanders, Leilua was a Saints junior. As for big islanders already in our pathways, and all Saints juniors, Loko Junior, Jacob Halangahu, Carlos Pauli, Finau Latu are four that come to mind. Also one of the Stanley clan, Cyrus Stanley-Traill. We should see the first four in Flegg and possibly Reggies next season, while Loko Jr will play Reggies.
If I was inclined to trawl thru the nine Saints junior clubs, betting I'd find plenty more Pacific Islanders boys..

Do we have a JUNIORS thread, if not we should create one.
Thanks for bringing this to my attention baggygreen man. You are correct and maybe we do have stacks more in the system and would be good if a Juniors thread is created and follow their paths.

We need these big guys to be a force in the future - strong, fit and fast and smart.

Ghostrider22

Juniors
Thanks for bringing this to my attention baggygreen man. You are correct and maybe we do have stacks more in the system and would be good if a Juniors thread is created and follow their paths.

We need these big guys to be a force in the future - strong, fit and fast and smart.
To DD and Baggygreen

Arncliffe Scots in the day was the Islander side when I played and they were big men. I know when playing, the Saints were the first team to have the odd player in grade but many at all, not like today, I know I live in the past and so much has changed and junior and grade footy has changed greatly. Both of you are so right👍

kit66

Bench
I agree possm that we need to include some big Islander type forwards and I like to add speedy backs as well. They are built to take the ball up hard and strong.

Our juniors in the catchment areas within the Illawarra region are many and they have class, however, most are not built like the Islander guys so I guess that means we need to go out and lure the Islander guys from outside the area to balance what we already have.

We need 2nd rowers and centres that can tackle and work together in defence, not to mention wingers. Teams beat us out wide where we're soft az.

BLM01

First Grade
To DD and Baggygreen

Arncliffe Scots in the day was the Islander side when I played and they were big men. I know when playing, the Saints were the first team to have the odd player in grade but many at all, not like today, I know I live in the past and so much has changed and junior and grade footy has changed greatly. Both of you are so right👍
Not sure what years your talking about Ghosty. I was in the 91-93 A grade sides and we had minimal islanders (no more than 2 each year) same with the St george comp. Although the problem we had in 92 is that we had sometimes 12 turning up to our games and we got hammered each game to collect the spoon.
I suppose I am just showing my age relative to your statement

Last edited:

saintmar

Juniors

Willow

Assistant Moderator
St George Leagues Club apparently in line for a $200 million upgrade next year. Nothing in the media as yet.
Includes bars, restaurants and yep, the auditorium.
Club manager Danny Robinson resigned earlier this year. Craig Epton is the new CEO.
Club turnover is on the up.

Latest posts