What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

denis preston

First Grade
As for recruitment, yes I think the club are realising they need to think outside the box now.. Flanno is going to have to fight and scrap to extract anyone half decent for next season.

As for Amone, I've been one of his critics for 2yrs.. as I thought he needed to be in reserve grade to learn how to be a 5/8 against real defensive lines... and assumed Sullivan would take his spot soon enough.. but Amone never seemed to get injured.. unheard of for a young playmaker... and Bud.. well he was injured everytime the opportunity came.. but anyway im not particularly attached to Amone, i'm open to whatever, and I also think Amone might end up a ctr anyway.. however .. I dont think hes nearly as bad as he appears in games like last weekend.. he gets the ball in sh*t situations, thanks to Hunt.. and with no support players running lines to actually force a decision from the defender.. hes literally a running duck who gets smashed by multiple defenders.. a duck playing on the wrong side of the field also.. i.e. playing without his best weapon.

I think with a halfback playing left side and a coach who has a clue, Amone's footwork should generate plenty of point scoring opportunities.. but our halfback doesnt play left.. and Amone isnt a future immortal either.. but he is tough, rarely gets injured, probably could play centre(or lock one day), whatever the coach wants to do.. or more to the point is forced to do through lack of options so close to 2024.. im alright with.. im not that attached to anyone anymore.. thats how awful our roster is.. combined with the hook, mary and price extensions.. the 19 losses in a year.. im numb to really everyone in our roster.. perhaps other than S'ua & Lomax.
I’d argue on Lomax! As for Amone , if he is good enough he plays above those excuses but as he is very ordinary he can’t.

I dont think hes nearly as bad as he appears in games like last weekend.. he gets the ball in sh*t situations, thanks to Hunt.. and with no support players running lines to actually force a decision from the defender.. hes literally a running duck who gets smashed by multiple defenders.. a duck playing on the wrong side of the field also.. i.e. playing without his best weapon.
Spot on @TheRev. Junior cops flack he dont deserve and for the reasons you outline with clarity, reasons I have used too in my defense of him. He needs go forward and clean ball to bring out his best running game and improving ball skills. Was watching a composite clip from Steelers Ball matches the year they won the comp and he looked a million bucks in attack, formed a great partnership with his mate Tyrell Sloan which cut oppositions to tatters.

Last edited:
Lomax to the Storm 2024.
Must be only rumor as he is on record that he intends staying a Dragon. Still an offer from one of the comp front runners must be tempting as he has to be sick to death being deprived of clean and early ball with which to pull out his bag of tricks. He will get that at the Storm. Has also being mooted for a move to fullback raised his hackles after feeling like a well worn glove at centre since he was 18. Then again is it the retention of Hunt and the letting go of local junior Jayden Sullivan.

Last edited:

Illusion

Bench
Must be rumor as he is on record that he loves the club and is staying. Still an offer from one of the comp front runners must be tempting as he has to be sick to death being deprived of clean and early ball with which to pull out his bag of tricks. He will get that at the Storm. Has also being mooted for a move to fullback raised his hackles after feeling like a well worn glove at centre since he was 18.
Is that rumour , linked to the Meaney rumour, , coming to us 🤔 ?

Ghostrider22

Juniors
Not sure what years your talking about Ghosty. I was in the 91-93 A grade sides and we had minimal islanders (no more than 2 each year) same with the St george comp. Although the problem we had in 92 is that we had sometimes 12 turning up to our games and we got hammered each game to collect the spoon.
I suppose I am just showing my age relative to your statement
Don't know who that "they" is ghost. There's an absurd gap between sexual assaults that get to court versus those that are reported and get nowhere because the evidentiary requirements are so onerous. I think there's a lot of women who are pretty dis-satisfied with that as a basis for justice (and let's not forget we're talking about evidentiary requirements that were established when women in law were rarer than St George wins under Ryan Carr). I think that the "they" you're talking about is just a lot of ordinary women and the men in the lives.

Like everyone else who wasn't in the court room, I read about De Belin and of course he isn't a convicted rapist, but he's an arsehole, and an arsehole on a whole different scale to, say, a bloke who's just a boneheaded dickhead who gets on the piss. Wouldn't want him anywhere near my sister, my daughter, my wife or any of the women I work with. Massive mixed feelings about him in a St George jersey, even though we've only got four actual first graders in the entire joint and he's one of them.
Look I understand totally, in my line of work I know your feelings and your thoughts on the matter. To be honest there are no words that can appropriately convey the mess that he created. Empathy I have for you and everyone concerned.
So I will say this, in his circle friends and people he works will have a doubt, but your thoughts and feelings about this timeline angers you and everyone else, guys left the club because of it they and their wives felt the same as you and everyone else there would be doubt. For Jack how do you live with yourself everyday and with his family in his world it’s still there hanging over his head.
I feel for his wife his child and mum dealing with this, agree with you. The courts couldn’t come to a unanimous decision and he walked. Here say evidence and lack of proof is the problem. The old story he said, I said, they said. And we still paid his contract. It I a very sad state of affairs that clouds everyone concerned and connected.

Ghostrider22

Juniors
To DD and Baggygreen

Arncliffe Scots in the day was the Islander side when I played and they were big men. I know when playing, the Saints were the first team to have the odd player in grade but many at all, not like today, I know I live in the past and so much has changed and junior and grade footy has changed greatly. Both of you are so right👍
So I’m showing my age now, early 80s. Hahahahaha.

Is that rumour , linked to the Meaney rumour, , coming to us 🤔 ?
Zac is a centre, Meaney a fullback? He is a goal kicker tho, so that is one skill they have in common. His defensive record aint that crash hot, misses a lot of tackles. If moved to the back Zac will nail more tackles. He can be brutal, sometimes too brutal, take his back slams. Outch.

Last edited:

Illusion

Bench
Zac is a centre, Meaney a fullback? He is a goal kicker tho, so that is one skill they have in common. His defensive record aint that crash hot, misses a lot of tackles. If moved to the back Zac will nail more tackles. He can be brutal, sometimes too brutal, take his back slams. Outch.
I hear you that ones a fullback and the others a centre , but with Papy back for the Storm maybe there is a deal being made , Meaney for Lomax ....... Who knows what's going on ....... Time will tell if Flanno has players lined up .......

BLM01

First Grade
Dont expect him to like us anymore than the Grubs, as did I read that he went AWOL because the training was too strenuous for him. We now have a conditioning guru on staff who we expect will drive our unfit players into the ground in the off season. No this club has to be looking for warriors not powder puffs like Preston, and hearing there are others in the Kennel disgruntled for the same reason.
Wrong player. He aint no powder puff. I want him at our club.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
He has money and would like to make more. Would you trust craig and co with your money?
Yes, he would like to make more money. That much is correct.

Who do I trust? lol. Never thought of it that way. It's not a good vs evil thing but I suppose it makes for a good story.