What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

BLM01

First Grade
There is no single half available for 2024 better than Volkman. We needed a half and got the best available, on a 1 year deal mind you. People on this forum could find a way to whinge if we signed the whole Australian team.
Agree in part but was he the best available or option back in October when Amone found guilty or before when the likelihood is that he would be. I believe we could of gone harder for someone better earlier. He is here now and wearing the colours and I will support him like all others. Hope I am wrong and he does well

Last edited:

kit66

Bench

NRL Round 1 predicted teams: St George Illawarra Dragons - Flanagan making changes to rekindle club's lost fire​

Making changes ? Dropping Feagai, which had to happen regardless and putting Allen on the wing. That's the change, apart from that it's virtually the same 17 that battled it out for the spoon in 2023. Our starting forwards Molo and Lawrie are bench forwards in any other team, they can't bend the line let alone break it and neither has a cheeky off-load. Having those two as our starting props puts us behind the 8 ball right from the start. We need a Klemmer or two now otherwise we'll spend the year in the bottom 4. If our halves have no room to work we're doomed no matter what else the coach can come up with, we'll get rolled week after week. Get BMM into 2nd row and Bird in the 14 jersey at least BMM bends the line.
Also when was the last time a Dragons forward put in some big hits, hits that made the crowd and commentators go wow. I think it was a couple of years ago, J Hunt put on a couple. Just a thought. No-ones scared of the Dragons, we're easybeats.

Gardenia

Bench
I’m happy that Flanno didn’t go after Liua. Good player but the price the Tigers paid is just crazy in my opinion. I know the market dictates what you pay but he’s just not worth that coin for mine. Good luck to them.
IMO. we didn't go after Luia because our target was Dearden - and we all know what happened there.

Last edited:

Gardenia

Bench
Apparently, he’s sick of losing. You’d think the captain would do whatever is needed to help the team win.
I was one of his biggest critics, but after this signing season from hell (hopefully that changes), I emphasize with him big time. It is beyond frustrating. They say fans patience is running out. Imagine being a competitor and playing in this team. Enough to unhinge the gentlest of personalities, which I believe was/is Hunt.

The DFL FB Brigade can rant on all they like about being positive and being a "real" fan. Wait until we actually start getting a hiding and there is blood on the football field. They will be quiet then. I am well aware of the definition of insanity. You cannot keep clutching at straws when the writing is on the wall, (ie: the recruitment has been dismal and the team is weak leading into the next season).

I would love for there to be a miracle and for this not to be the case. I sincerely hope I am eating my words with egg on my face next year!

Last edited:

blacksafake

First Grade
Making changes ? Dropping Feagai, which had to happen regardless and putting Allen on the wing. That's the change, apart from that it's virtually the same 17 that battled it out for the spoon in 2023. Our starting forwards Molo and Lawrie are bench forwards in any other team, they can't bend the line let alone break it and neither has a cheeky off-load. Having those two as our starting props puts us behind the 8 ball right from the start. We need a Klemmer or two now otherwise we'll spend the year in the bottom 4. If our halves have no room to work we're doomed no matter what else the coach can come up with, we'll get rolled week after week. Get BMM into 2nd row and Bird in the 14 jersey at least BMM bends the line.
Also when was the last time a Dragons forward put in some big hits, hits that made the crowd and commentators go wow. I think it was a couple of years ago, J Hunt put on a couple. Just a thought. No-ones scared of the Dragons, we're easybeats.
Isn’t it just the authors opinion & not Flanagans ?
As for Klemmer I can’t remember him breaking the line in the last two years.
Having said that I’d take him.

kit66

Bench

Yeah, it's a nothing, slow day, earn your keep piece from a hack Sports Writer telling us not a single thing we don't already know but that team list won't be far off and you'd expect FMolo and Lawrie to start.
Flanno can work on our defence and brighten up our attack but with our squad, how much will that help overall ? A couple more wins ? Don't hold your breath. As Squid1 states above, if the forwards can't do their job it will all be for nothing.
Klemmer bends the line, attracts a lot of defenders, is hard to pull down, has a great off-load and defends around 99%. He also never takes a backward step and commands the respect of opposition packs. Our guys are/do none of things.

Flanno has targeted some handy players to recruit that we unfortunately couldn't land and I wonder how much of that is on our poxy club board and management - not only on their dismal reputation but also their impotence in getting involved in negotiations to get things done and contracts signed or attracting tpa's from anywhere. That's despite having billionaires among our backers.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Bud stayed patient for a year or 2 watching a train wreck unfold in front of him and apparently he sulked. Whilst Hunt played 40 mins kicking stones at 9. We all saw how he did not want to be there when he was picked at 9. And then he demanded a release once all his mates are gone. If you had to chose who the bigger sulk is out of Hunt and Bud it surely has to be Hunt and Saints kept the bigger sulk. Apparently the more mature one mind you. Do you honestly believe Bud was given a fair crack at 7 during Hooks time at the club?

Unfortunately the one that would have wore the No.7 red V jersey in pride was let go whilst the other who cannot wait to get rid of it and put on other colours was kept to the club. Sad but true.

possm

Coach
If it is to be Lomax at fullback, then it should be Allen to left center, Suli to right center, and Sloan to the left wing position.

Given that I have not recently seen Allen in action, I can just hope that he has the skills and motivation to do well at left-center.

Suli prefers the right center position and Sloan should kill it on the left wing. His speed and elusiveness should have the fans rising to their feet each time he touches the ball.

possm

Coach
Bud stayed patient for a year or 2 watching a train wreck unfold in front of him and apparently he sulked. Whilst Hunt played 40 mins kicking stones at 9. We all saw how he did not want to be there when he was picked at 9. And then he demanded a release once all his mates are gone. If you had to chose who the bigger sulk is out of Hunt and Bud it surely has to be Hunt and Saints kept the bigger sulk. Apparently the more mature one mind you. Do you honestly believe Bud was given a fair crack at 7 during Hooks time at the club?

Unfortunately the one that would have wore the No.7 red V jersey in pride was let go whilst the other who cannot wait to get rid of it and put on other colours was kept to the club. Sad but true.
The Dragons need a strong and talented person to fill the Head of Football position. It should have been a person such as this that was in the ear of our CEO who should have then been candid about the suitability of Griffin as a coach and the poor performance of our fitness staff.

blacksafake

First Grade
Yeah, it's a nothing, slow day, earn your keep piece from a hack Sports Writer telling us not a single thing we don't already know but that team list won't be far off and you'd expect FMolo and Lawrie to start.
Flanno can work on our defence and brighten up our attack but with our squad, how much will that help overall ? A couple more wins ? Don't hold your breath. As Squid1 states above, if the forwards can't do their job it will all be for nothing.
Klemmer bends the line, attracts a lot of defenders, is hard to pull down, has a great off-load and defends around 99%. He also never takes a backward step and commands the respect of opposition packs. Our guys are/do none of things.

Flanno has targeted some handy players to recruit that we unfortunately couldn't land and I wonder how much of that is on our poxy club board and management - not only on their dismal reputation but also their impotence in getting involved in negotiations to get things done and contracts signed or attracting tpa's from anywhere. That's despite having billionaires among our backers.
Agree.
As for recruitment I’ve said before about a friend of mines son years ago who had a meeting with Doust & Young about signing on.
The first words that came out of Young’s mouth were “players need to want to play for this great club before we go any further”
They’re probably still using the same line these days lol.
BTW he didn’t get a contract.

Latest posts