What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

justadragon

Bench
Well I do actually remember them as I do the 2nd rower from Parrammatta Isaiah Papali'i who tried to back out also let's not forget Ryan Matterson another malcontent who copped a suspension rather than a fine.

I would have dropped all of them and read them the riot act and by the way how did their respective sides go

I would suggest all of them under the spell of their money hungry, grubby managers and that well might be the big part of the issues with Sullivan.
Absolutely agree OT, you can bet your last dollar that his manager would be there pushing him.

BLM01

First Grade
Volkman is a reserve grader, they should’ve gone in for Luai.
I agree on Volkman. Disappointing in the WC recently did not show any promise as a 1st grader. Roosters let mi gop now Warriors after minimal time. Says it all really.
But I understand the desperation signing at this stage for this year for us. Give him a go but not expecting much so no real loss / win either way IMO

maestro1

Bench
I agree on Volkman. Disappointing in the WC recently did not show any promise as a 1st grader. Roosters let mi gop now Warriors after minimal time. Says it all really.
But I understand the desperation signing at this stage for this year for us. Give him a go but not expecting much so no real loss / win either way IMO

Volkman is a reserve grader, they should’ve gone in for Luai.
Whilst I would have loved to have had Liua in the RedV ( I even started a post about it), it is unfair to compare Volkman and Liua. Volkman is a 21 year old who was let go by the Roosters because the Roosters don't have patience to allow a kid to grow in first grade. They want instant 1st graders. At the Warriors, he had Sean Johnson and metcalfe blocking his path. With time under the right coach and environment, he should flourish

possm

Coach
Whilst I would have loved to have had Liua in the RedV ( I even started a post about it), it is unfair to compare Volkman and Liua. Volkman is a 21 year old who was let go by the Roosters because the Roosters don't have patience to allow a kid to grow in first grade. They want instant 1st graders. At the Warriors, he had Sean Johnson and metcalfe blocking his path. With time under the right coach and environment, he should flourish
'Should'. The problem is that there are times when we have a good five-eighth in our 13, maybe we have a player classed as 'should make a good first grader'.

Right, now we need halves that are good first-grade material. So:

I predict Hunt will leave, leaving us with Kyle Flannagan who 'may' end up being a good halfback or five-eighth but hardly at this stage a good swap for Hunt.

Then let us consider the replacement for Amone. Well he was hardly a guarantee for a halves sport in the case where we were successful in recruiting Dearden. Given that Hunt might have been convinced to stay and so, we had a Hunt/Dearden halves combo.

If Hunt leaves and I am pretty sure he will, we will be left with two reserve grade halves that we hope can step up to fringe first-grade players and of course about an extra 1.4m in our cap for 2024.

May I suggest we at least buy a top-grade prop from the Super League or RU and a top-grade half/five-eighth to fill the void for 2024? At this point in time, we need actual marquee first-grade quality in these positions, not potential first-grade players in our top 13.

possm

Coach
Well the last half that we picked up who couldn’t crack first grade at the Roosters turned out alright for us.

View attachment 82870
A very special player, a very special coach, and a very special squad of first-graders. All put together when the Storm, the odds-on favorites to win the 2010 NRL competition, were eliminated for contesting due to cap cheating.

I'd say, a very rare opportunity to put all of that together. At best it is a one in fifteen-year year opportunity. I don't understand why the Dragons are always punting on recruits to 'become' good first-grade players instead of putting a mix of players in their top 30 of great first-graders (17 players), and juniors with great potential (13 players).

Last edited:

Phantom V

Juniors
I’m happy that Flanno didn’t go after Liua. Good player but the price the Tigers paid is just crazy in my opinion. I know the market dictates what you pay but he’s just not worth that coin for mine. Good luck to them.

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
Samoan players we are interested in?

Terrell May?
Volkman - supposedly joining us
Heilum Luki?

Already at our club

Max Fegai
Matt Fegai
MMolo
FMolo
Sua

I’ve been wondering if the super competitive Shane Flanno is keen on OREGON KAUFUSI after missing out on AFB.

114kg and Mutual Option only for 2025

Could be anything as growing into a mid20yr old prop now but the next 5 to 8 years of his career could be next level

Sharks have played their hand on AFB and HUNT

Could be a very smart buy at maybe $800k pa by 2025 onwards for 3 seasons and near by at the Sharks which is not far to travel etc?

Last edited:
There is no single half available for 2024 better than Volkman. We needed a half and got the best available, on a 1 year deal mind you. People on this forum could find a way to whinge if we signed the whole Australian team.
A. Survived the crackling onslaught - Was bloody great
B. Volkman. - Assuming I got it right, he's forgone a two year contract to take a 1 year contract with a team who came second last.
I already like his style and confidence

Good on him - hope he takes every opportunity that comes his way.
Will be great for both him and us

Latest posts