What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Harry Bath

Juniors
Regarding "No idea how it will play out, but sounds like Flanagan still thinks he can make it at the Dragons." comment further up, I personally think he can. He has already turned Lomax and Sua into State of Origin players and F Molo is going much fitter. Under Hook Lomax was relegated to Reggies and Sua could not get out of second gear. If he turns two to three more to play to their potentials we should find ourselves playing finals. I am already seeing improvements in Suli and Sloan and our lower grade doing much better
Dragons this year to Round 11 have had a lot bigger loosing scores than last year under Griffin, Flanagan promised at the beginning of the season that the dragons would be competitive and fight the entire 80 minutes, so far this year we have had huge blow outs mainly in the second half in games against Dolphins, Cowboys, Rooster and Bullgrubs and were easily beaten by a poor Cronulla and Average Newcastle teams.
Sure we have beaten the bottom 4 teams, and one good win against Manly however I cant see the improvement that Flanagan was promising apart from a few good individual performances, aka, Lomax and Sua

saints4ever

First Grade
Dragons this year to Round 11 have had a lot bigger loosing scores than last year under Griffin, Flanagan promised at the beginning of the season that the dragons would be competitive and fight the entire 80 minutes, so far this year we have had huge blow outs mainly in the second half in games against Dolphins, Cowboys, Rooster and Bullgrubs and were easily beaten by a poor Cronulla and Average Newcastle teams.
Sure we have beaten the bottom 4 teams, and one good win against Manly however I cant see the improvement that Flanagan was promising apart from a few good individual performances, aka, Lomax and Sua
You realise its been 11 games with a dogshit roster he is trying to improve on the run?

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Tbf, I don't think Flanno was fully aware of how deep the 'issues" were/are within our club when he accepted the HC role. Even as an assistant you don't get the full picture, especially when your boss is trying to hide them from scrutiny.

We've had some good wins and some massive capitulation losses. That in itself speaks volumes as to the attitudes and mental state of some, if not all our squad.

Case in question:
Sloan. No doubt he has improved this season, not perfect, but seemingly willing and able to improve himself and become our permanent custodian.
Hunt: I have no doubt he has regressed this year. His game management is poor at best, and keeps referring to it in just about every post match presser. However, after 11 games in, has he improved this aspect, simple answer no. So, either he doesn't want to or doesn't know how to. Either way, his lack of action clearly indicates a lack of respect for the team, the coaching staff and the Club.

This week he has really rolled the dice. Hears your opportunity to stake your claim for inclusion, not only for the current season, but onwards from there.

justadragon

Bench
Yes it is a sad thing Harry. Goes to show that Mary had some success even though stretched out over those 5 and a half years and his Sack Mary thread being many pages. These next few months will be telling for Flanno one way or another as to whether or not he will have more of success than Mary. if we can recruit a good contingent of players for the years ahead while Flanno is the coach.
There is one thing I believe that Flanno has done regardless of Mary's so called success. He is starting to groom the lower grades where Mary didn't give a shit about them, hence where we are today.

TruSaint

Referee

But, But he's our " marque " player some will say.

He is one reason why we are where we are. He found a gold mine at Saints and has milked us ever since, all the while rattling the cages about wanting out.

Opportunity cost.

A few weeks ago when we were going ok, he was on the late show with Matty Johns and was asked about his chat with Flanno when he decided to stay. His words verbatim " I wasn't happy about it ". Poor hostage.

Hunt is only here because he gets to dictate to a Club that lost all leverage. He will touch the ball more than anyone, keep his position at half ( albeit his rep position is hooker ), and will never win a clutch moment.

Flanno is stuck between a rock and a hard place. In no universe should this guys contract be extended just to appease him. Some will defend his actions but I am confident that we will look back on his time at Saints as a mistake and a failure.

Pardon the rant.

Illusion

Bench

He is one reason why we are where we are. He found a gold mine at Saints and has milked us ever since, all the while rattling the cages about wanting out.

Opportunity cost.

A few weeks ago when we were going ok, he was on the late show with Matty Johns and was asked about his chat with Flanno when he decided to stay. His words verbatim " I wasn't happy about it ". Poor hostage.

Hunt is only here because he gets to dictate to a Club that lost all leverage. He will touch the ball more than anyone, keep his position at half ( albeit his rep position is hooker ), and will never win a clutch moment.

Flanno is stuck between a rock and a hard place. In no universe should this guys contract be extended just to appease him. Some will defend his actions but I am confident that we will look back on his time at Saints as a mistake and a failure.

Pardon the rant.
Well said ........ And X2 ...... The guys Toxic ........

Opportunity cost.

Pardon the rant.

I hate to say it but the more I see from I see from our club the more what you say seems 100% true.

No idea what the coach does about it.

since77

Juniors
Sadly, after more than four decades supporting Saints, Im not sure either mate. What I do know is that the status quo ain't working. As you rightly imply, Flanno is in a no win position as a result.
This is what I hate about the way this club is run. They never know when to cut their losses and admit a mistake was made or that the status quo isn't working. Even worse for the last decade or so they friggin DOUBLE DOWN on their mistakes.....
Price.
McGregor.
Griffin.
Hunt.

The only mistake I can forgive from the above is signing Hunt, but he's turned out to be a piss-poor captain, woeful game manager and it just hasn't worked. I would have happily taken another year of sh*t results if they'd released Hunt and used the money to go REALLY HARD after some marquee forwards and a competent halfback so we were setup for a genuine revival in 2025.
Every mistake this club has made has set us further and further behind. We're still paying for renewing Griffin 2 years ago.
Too angry to continue my rant......

justadragon

Bench
Sadly, after more than four decades supporting Saints, Im not sure either mate. What I do know is that the status quo ain't working. As you rightly imply, Flanno is in a no win position as a result.
One sure way to piss Hunt off Trusaint is, make a play for Illias for a couple of years and move Hunt to 14, until we see what is coming through our ranks. Would the club have the balls to do that, I dont think so !!!

Latest posts