What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Wolfgang90

Juniors
Imo we'll see some signings finalised after origin & potentially when other teams are out of finals contention. I don't mind taking a punt on the likes of Smith, Schuster considering Flanagan's success rate in changing attitudes & if they're on team friendly short term deals.

The amount of people who think wholesome, peak form players are just going to stroll into our club is laughable.

We are going to have jump on opportunities and nothing is likely to be a perfect fit.

Loads of cap. Sure, the likes of Smith have their issues but we need to field a better team than the one we currently do.

kit66

Bench
We should have a serious look at Utoikamanu from Wests, he was the only Tigers player that showed any resilience last week. He's apparently not happy there and only has a Mutual Option for 2025. He's big, fast and strong, has an off-load and has an over 95% tackle efficiency, plus he's only 24.
He had one run in SOO, short minutes off the bench but I reckon if he was in a better team he'd have a higher profile.
Flanno could really make use of this big fella, a ready-made replacement for someone like Lawrie or JDB should he accept an offer elsewhere.

dungay dragon

Juniors
On our market? How about the English market then. Surely some halves talent over there that wanna a crack at the NR

IDB needs to display some Return Loyalty to the Club that fully supported him throughout his issues
An offer for 12 months is on the table , with a likely further 12 months fully dependant on performance
At his age one would think that would be more than acceptable
Some green shoots are appearing at the Dragons amid all the previous gloom and im sure he would want to be part of that
If he goes to the Bunnies for a money deal for 2 years that would be disappointing , and shows little return Loyalty

since77

Juniors
The amount of people who think wholesome, peak form players are just going to stroll into our club is laughable.

We are going to have jump on opportunities and nothing is likely to be a perfect fit.

Loads of cap. Sure, the likes of Smith have their issues but we need to field a better team than the one we currently do.
Its not about being "wholesome". There have been rumours circulating for years about some off field issues that put him into an automatic "no" category for any club wanting a healthy culture. Flanno recently said one of his big mantras this year was to have the players get their off field life right. How they lived life at home and away from football.
Someone will be desperate enough to "roll the dice" (pun intended) if the Roosters release him but I hope its not us.

RedVee

First Grade
He will improve our squad. People happy to stick with solely our juniors but we don’t have a hooker coming through. Mulheisen was a flop. Not many available out there. He would be looking for a new opportunity and a clause can be justifiably in his contract about behaviours.
He has too much behavioural baggage for my liking. Why should we be / continue to be the home of last resort?
If the storm & chooks don’t want him with their success in getting things hushed up why should we risk it?

Wolfgang90

Juniors
We should have a serious look at Utoikamanu from Wests, he was the only Tigers player that showed any resilience last week. He's apparently not happy there and only has a Mutual Option for 2025. He's big, fast and strong, has an off-load and has an over 95% tackle efficiency, plus he's only 24.
He had one run in SOO, short minutes off the bench but I reckon if he was in a better team he'd have a higher profile.
Flanno could really make use of this big fella, a ready-made replacement for someone like Lawrie or JDB should he accept an offer elsewhere.

I'd back Flanno to turn him into a rep quality player. His form can be a bit inconsistent but he's got some quality traits. We've got cash to splash & he would be a recruit we should target as he can be easily off-loaded if it doesn't work out due to his age & potential. So imo it's a low risk high reward type of play. He's just turned 24, so entering a crucial phase of his development & he needs a proven coach to help him reach rep quality.

I highly doubt we would get him but surely we're at least enquiring about his services.

TheRev

First Grade
I think it would be more about the dollars involved with the Cheese, the Roosters are a stubborn/proud bunch of pric*s, I cant imagine them paying much of his freight.. even though they have plenty spare... I think they would rather find a way to sack him.

The whole player market is very confusing atm, what the roosters should be doing is paying big for all the quality players they already have.. they have heaps of rep quality (or next big thing) players on unders, but Angus Chrichton is the first player to call them on that... and demand market value.... Walker is another who should be demanding 900k+.. they should have just paid Manu 1mil also instead of doing this dodgy japan move.

But I dont know where any new NRL teams would pilfer a side like Wayne & the Dolphins did.. I think everyone is going to have to focus on the next level down talent.. the reserve graders not getting a start.. this isnt necessarily a bad thing, its just a change in mindset and it might mean that upcoming talents price value goes up... i.e. more of the Top 30 are younger and theyre now getting paid more.

Draginzaaar

Bench
I'd back Flanno to turn him into a rep quality player. His form can be a bit inconsistent but he's got some quality traits. We've got cash to splash & he would be a recruit we should target as he can be easily off-loaded if it doesn't work out due to his age & potential. So imo it's a low risk high reward type of play. He's just turned 24, so entering a crucial phase of his development & he needs a proven coach to help him reach rep quality.

I highly doubt we would get him but surely we're at least enquiring about his services.
He has a $800,000 a year offer at the Tigers. Do we want to pay more than that?

TheRev

First Grade
Stefano is not a player we could land.. Galvin the same... these kids with their careers ahead of them are being sweet-talked by Top4 coaches offering a successful system and being surrounded by other stars.

If it was all about cash, Stefano would just stay where he is.. he could get 900k by asking nicely.

The players we can target are either:
a) players not getting regular 1st grade
b) players being forced out of clubs for whatever reason (form, age, attitude).

Blaize is a bit of an exception.. young with promise... and I think we had him signed until he started getting 1st grade games (and smashing it) plus Arthur got sacked (which his manager was pushing for).. I think we missed our window.

Our fortunes will hopefully change in the future (if we keep improving), I just wouldnt get excited in 2024... we should at the very least though be making offers to ensure other clubs dont get away with paying unders! Over time that will make our relative position stronger.

kit66

Bench

Yes, his form is inconsistent, for example he'll make 41 tackles and 162 mtrs one week and then 28 tackles and 93 mtrs the following week playing close to the same minutes. His season has been up and down like that but overall his career (65 games over 4 1/2 years) shows progress and consistently good defence. I think he just needs a better coach and environment to get the best out of him and we can offer him both plus our squad has a greater mix of Pacific cultures than ever before to help him feel at home.

Wolfgang90

Juniors
Yes, his form is inconsistent, for example he'll make 41 tackles and 162 mtrs one week and then 28 tackles and 93 mtrs the following week playing close to the same minutes. His season has been up and down like that but overall his career (65 games over 4 1/2 years) shows progress and consistently good defence. I think he just needs a better coach and environment to get the best out of him and we can offer him both plus our squad has a greater mix of Pacific cultures than ever before to help him feel at home.

Imo that's soo important, hence the re-signing of quality players from pasifika background like Su'a is crucial to entice young pasifika players to either come or stay with the dragons. I really hope we've got some pathway plans for Kyle Stanley & Willie Talau as they also have a strong connection with young pasifika players & they've shown with the SG ball side they're quality individuals.

Wolfgang90

Juniors
Prefer Conor Watson over the Brandon Smith. Watson imo is a better player, has more utility value & is definitely a better cultural fit. He's also off-contract at the end of 2025, we could potentially get him next year. I also don't want to help the roosters with their salary cap dump.

Latest posts