What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Parko1310

Juniors
Reported we are tabling a 2 year deal to Damien Cook. I've made my opinion on him known.. I hope it doesn't happen but I suppose there are worse propositions. I would probably prefer Jayden Brailey, Robson, Verills (who are all probably realistic targets) ahead of him

Parko1310

Juniors
Liddle has been great for us imo, I don't understand why we want cook. He's been average for a few seasons now. Hopefully we don't get him or I'm wrong...
The article says we see Liddle as a 14, which I'm in complete agreement with personally. But I would've hoped someone better than Cook as the starting 9 to make that happen. With the right combo, Liddle at 14 will be lethal

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Cook is the best we can get right now, not to mention the culture he brings with him. Liddle is most effective when he gets a rest, and with Cook we lose none of our ruck speed.

All of these other names mentioned aren't realistic as they're locked into their current clubs. It's not as easy as simply saying yeah sweet I'll take Robson or Brailey.

possm

Coach
Stefano is not a player we could land.. Galvin the same... these kids with their careers ahead of them are being sweet-talked by Top4 coaches offering a successful system and being surrounded by other stars.

If it was all about cash, Stefano would just stay where he is.. he could get 900k by asking nicely.

The players we can target are either:
a) players not getting regular 1st grade
b) players being forced out of clubs for whatever reason (form, age, attitude).

Blaize is a bit of an exception.. young with promise... and I think we had him signed until he started getting 1st grade games (and smashing it) plus Arthur got sacked (which his manager was pushing for).. I think we missed our window.

Our fortunes will hopefully change in the future (if we keep improving), I just wouldnt get excited in 2024... we should at the very least though be making offers to ensure other clubs dont get away with paying unders! Over time that will make our relative position stronger.
We are now on 16 points the same as the Roosters, Bulldogs and Broncos and only one win behind the Raiders and the Dolphins. With a good recruitment manager, we would have a good chance of signing any player that comes onto the market these days.

Parko1310

Juniors
Cook is the best we can get right now, not to mention the culture he brings with him. Liddle is most effective when he gets a rest, and with Cook we lose none of our ruck speed.

All of these other names mentioned aren't realistic as they're locked into their current clubs. It's not as easy as simply saying yeah sweet I'll take Robson or Brailey.
Robson and Brailey are contracted for the same amount of time as Cook is. Whilst souths may be willing to let Cook go early, my point is not that we should 'simply' go out and just sign this or that player, but that I'd be comfortable in waiting a year longer to get these better players. Plus, the reports of Brailey being pushed out of Newcastle have been there for a while

TheRev

First Grade
We can't have made an offer unless Cook has permission to negotiate with rivals (so I assume he has been given it).. the only part of the SMH article i can see says we are asking for souths to pay part of his contract.. which does sound like Flanno... though I dont know why we would really care about an extra 100k or 200k for 2025.. we arent exactly going to max our cap out.

Zero Tackle has him listed @750k for this year and next.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Robson and Brailey are contracted for the same amount of time as Cook is. Whilst souths may be willing to let Cook go early, my point is not that we should 'simply' go out and just sign this or that player, but that I'd be comfortable in waiting a year longer to get these better players. Plus, the reports of Brailey being pushed out of Newcastle have been there for a while

The Cows would level a city to keep Robson so that's never happening. You can thank Mary for that one.

The narrative around Brailey has changed at Newcastle - you're right, at one stage he was on the outer... But he's been immense since returning from injury and has leapfrogged Crossland by daylight. Cook is very likely going to make way for JMK, that opens the door for us with a potential subsidy from Souths.

Flano has been very patient in recruitment and only plugged necessary holes with blokes that are playing out of their skin. If we were in previous eras, we probably would have made a few more signings by now, but they would be rubbish reactive signings.

kit66

Bench
We are now on 16 points the same as the Roosters, Bulldogs and Broncos and only one win behind the Raiders and the Dolphins. With a good recruitment manager, we would have a good chance of signing any player that comes onto the market these days.

We're actually on the same wins as the Raiders and Dolphins (7) but they've had an extra 2 points curtesy of a second bye each. If not for the Raiders second bye we'd be in the 8 as we're ahead of them on +/- .

Parko1310

Juniors
The Cows would level a city to keep Robson so that's never happening. You can thank Mary for that one.

The narrative around Brailey has changed at Newcastle - you're right, at one stage he was on the outer... But he's been immense since returning from injury and has leapfrogged Crossland by daylight. Cook is very likely going to make way for JMK, that opens the door for us with a potential subsidy from Souths.

Flano has been very patient in recruitment and only plugged necessary holes with blokes that are playing out of their skin. If we were in previous eras, we probably would have made a few more signings by now, but they would be rubbish reactive signings.
Maybe, but both knights and cows have a cap squeeze and are going to have to lose players they want to keep. One of the things with Cook is; he's 33 already. The two year deal will be his last. With Robson and Brailey off contract next year, the two year deal means we won't be in for either of those players. Hooker is one of the positions we don't really have junior prospects in. So at the end of Cook's deal, we are going to have to be in the market place for a hooker again, when if we waited an extra year we could've potentially landed better, younger hookers on multi-year deals. Succession planning in the hooker position is going to be very important for us since we don't have anyone coming through. I suppose we could go for Verrills after Cook's deal which would be a great replacement, but we do have to have those plans in place

TheRev

First Grade
Eisenhuth extension on the table also apparently:

Keeping him seems obvious.. and a more obvious move if JDB is leaving.. however it comes at a cost.. its 1 less spot for a junior or external recruit (2 with MMolo eating a spot).. and we have so many props and 2nd rowers that we will be pretty short in terms of backs with NRL contracts.. both 1st grade and junior.

Last edited:

TruSaint

Referee
Liddle has been great for us imo, I don't understand why we want cook. He's been average for a few seasons now. Hopefully we don't get him or I'm wrong...

Im with you on Liddle bro.

But I get the Cook signing. Those 2 in rotation would be fantastic. Liddle does a great deal of work and plays way too many minutes for the speed of the game. He's had a couple of bad knocks along the way, im guessing as a result of fatigue.

Cook is a pro, and still has experience and as many have noted brings a great culture to the team, that is badly needed.