What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Maddragon99

Juniors
You don't have to sell me on this mate, and yes you are correct.

Visit the coaching thread and some will have you believe that I am advocating mediocrity. I am not.

Im being realistic as to what the club can a.) attract and b.) is in dire need of. Discipline, experience, blooding and development of juniors to make us an attractive proposition in 2-3 years. This job isn't an easy fix. Wishing that Fitzy "may" be the next Bellamy is a risk we can't take now.

Young / Fitzy / Ryles and co may well be future coaching greats, but its been a decade of untested coaches that has us in a position where such a gamble isnt worth the risk.

I believe Jason Ryles is off to coach English Rugby next year

I'm Hornby

Juniors
Reported in the couriermail this evening that Ben Hunt is being shopped to Brisbane. Wait and see I guess.

Maybe our management have come to the realisation we have more chance of getting Colonel Sanders interested in cheeseburgers than we do getting fellow NRL clubs interested in Norman and therefore we're trying our luck with Hunt instead.

Maddragon99

Juniors
Reported in the couriermail this evening that Ben Hunt is being shopped to Brisbane. Wait and see I guess.

Maybe our management have come to the realisation we have more chance of getting Colonel Sanders interested in cheeseburgers than we do getting fellow NRL clubs interested in Norman and therefore we're trying our luck with Hunt instead.

wow we owe Ben over $3M in salary I wonder how much of that we’d have to carry to be able to move him on. I suppose we’ve been carrying de Belin’s $595,000 for two years.

Perhaps we could swap Ben for a couple of Brissy forwards

getsmarty

Immortal
Back to Broncos? Ben Hunt linked to shock return — if the Dragons pay up
Dragons
george_clarke.jpg

• September 2, 2020 8:36am
  • George Clarke
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
50dfc855115a2ea88e9425d2add679f4

Ben Hunt seen during training at BrisbaneSource: AAP
Dragons playmaker Ben Hunt has been linked to a return to his old club, the Broncos, which would see Brisbane and St George Illawarra split his salary.

On an estimated $1.2 million a year, Hunt’s big-money to the Red V has not turned the Dragons into top-four contenders.

Hunt has played in the halves - where his partnership with Corey Norman came under scrutiny - at hooker and off the interchange for the joint-venture club

The 30-year-old is contracted to the club until 2022 and will play his 250th game in the NRL this weekend.

According to The Daily Telegraph, the Dragons would consider sending Hunt back to the Broncos and would be willing to chip in some of his salary to get him there.

Hunt’s exit would give the Dragons options to strengthen in other areas, while Brisbane would have an Origin and Test level playmaker to help guide their struggling squad around.

Already the Dragons have been linked to a move for Brisbane forward Joe Ofahengaue, but it remains to be seen if the two clubs could engineer a swap deal.

The seven-cap Kangaroo has maintained that he wants to be a halfback.

“Seven is my preferred position,” Hunt said. “I’ve always wanted to play halfback.

“But at the moment that’s where the club needs me to be [hooker]. I’m just trying to do my best job.”

How that affects the futures of Brisbane’s halves remains to be seen.

Tom Dearden is tipped as the club’s long-term halfback.

Sean O’Sullivan is off contract this year, while Anthony Milford is said to be free to explore his options.

Brodie Croft, the man signed by axed coach Anthony Seibold to turn the Broncos into a premiership force, was dropped from the 17-man squad for this weekend’s match-up with Penrith.

Former NSW Origin star Braith Anasta, however, has insisted that Hunt’s best role is as a hooker.

“He’s relentless every interview – ‘I’m a seven but I’ll do what’s best for the side right now’,” Anasta said.

“I don’t know if Ben Hunt is a seven anymore. The way he’s played at nine, he’s been much better in that position.

“He hasn’t played that well at seven for a number of year now, maybe it’s just time he accepts it that he is a nine now.

“Where would he play seven in any other side now?”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/b03e8039cff08fd460f2d70816318e1c

getsmarty

Immortal
Brisbane tell Joe Ofahengaue he’s free to speak with rivals as club plot 10-man clean-out
Broncos
george_clarke.jpg

• September 2, 2020 6:51am
  • George Clarke
52936102c1e8880beb002f04af773537

Joe Ofahengaue during Brisbane Broncos trainingSource: News Corp Australia
Brisbane are set for a roster clean-out in the wake of Anthony Seibold’s sacking, with Joe Ofahengaue the first of a possible ten players to leave the club this season.

The Broncos have identified the Tongan international, who is on a reported $500,000 a year, as the first player they want to show the door.

Ofahengaue has started games on at prop, lock, second row and on the interchange this season and remains winless in 2020.

The forward, who remains contracted to the club until 2023, has been told he can speak to rivals with St George Illawarra interested in his services, according to 7 News.

Alongside Ofahengaue, David Fifita, Jack Bird and Darius Boyd are all set to leave the club.

Meanwhile, the Broncos will consider releasing $1 million playmaker Anthony Milford and are yet to determine the futures of Richie Kennar, Rhys Kennedy, Jordan Kahu, Jamil Hopoate, Ben Te’o and Sean O’Sullivan.

The freeing up of salary cap space will help whoever comes in to coach the Broncos.

The likes of Kotoni Staggs, Xavier Coates and Thomas Flegler are all able to speak to rival clubs from November 1.

The Broncos are yet to name a replacement for Seibold with Kevin Walters and Paul Green the two frontrunners to take the role.

Despite the Seibold disaster, outgoing chairman Karl Morris said the Broncos will take their time with the decision.

“We’re in no rush with the process,” Morris told The Australian last week.

“One of the advantages of having an open position, as with the CEO role, is you are sometimes surprised by who might be interested and who you might be able to secure.

“It is the Broncos — we will be looking for the best coach we possible can.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...d/news-story/676deb7e9c98b7f637b9be02add88e0e

Slippery Morris

First Grade
The big O would be a great signing. Unfortunately I just cannot see this happening. Maybe if the agree on Griffin and he likes being coached by him it may sway him.

Brutalitops

Juniors
I hear Sharon Woods is in the Saints hit list. Please no, Why would they want to even consider this?
Aaron Woods has become a victim of media (both print and social) narratives taking hold of a player's ability in the eyes of the public.

Because he was selected for representative duties rather early, during a particularly dire time for NSW, as well as the unfortunate "big four" tag the media attached to his Tigers group, the public has been mighty unfair on Woods. He is not Taumalolo, but he has been far more solid for the Sharks than he gets any credit for. In particular his ability to get a quick PTB away absolutely towers over much of our team, who often rely on wingers or backs to get one away.

For Woods, he's just a shit plodder and that's the narrative around him no matter how his form actually is. He's not going to be a big money player anymore so the level of vitriol directed at the mere idea of pursuing him is unfounded imo

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Back to Broncos? Ben Hunt linked to shock return — if the Dragons pay up
Dragons
george_clarke.jpg

• September 2, 2020 8:36am
  • George Clarke
50dfc855115a2ea88e9425d2add679f4

Ben Hunt seen during training at BrisbaneSource: AAP
Dragons playmaker Ben Hunt has been linked to a return to his old club, the Broncos, which would see Brisbane and St George Illawarra split his salary.

On an estimated $1.2 million a year, Hunt’s big-money to the Red V has not turned the Dragons into top-four contenders.

Hunt has played in the halves - where his partnership with Corey Norman came under scrutiny - at hooker and off the interchange for the joint-venture club

The 30-year-old is contracted to the club until 2022 and will play his 250th game in the NRL this weekend.

According to The Daily Telegraph, the Dragons would consider sending Hunt back to the Broncos and would be willing to chip in some of his salary to get him there.

Hunt’s exit would give the Dragons options to strengthen in other areas, while Brisbane would have an Origin and Test level playmaker to help guide their struggling squad around.

Already the Dragons have been linked to a move for Brisbane forward Joe Ofahengaue, but it remains to be seen if the two clubs could engineer a swap deal.

The seven-cap Kangaroo has maintained that he wants to be a halfback.

“Seven is my preferred position,” Hunt said. “I’ve always wanted to play halfback.

“But at the moment that’s where the club needs me to be [hooker]. I’m just trying to do my best job.”

How that affects the futures of Brisbane’s halves remains to be seen.

Tom Dearden is tipped as the club’s long-term halfback.

Sean O’Sullivan is off contract this year, while Anthony Milford is said to be free to explore his options.

Brodie Croft, the man signed by axed coach Anthony Seibold to turn the Broncos into a premiership force, was dropped from the 17-man squad for this weekend’s match-up with Penrith.

Former NSW Origin star Braith Anasta, however, has insisted that Hunt’s best role is as a hooker.

“He’s relentless every interview – ‘I’m a seven but I’ll do what’s best for the side right now’,” Anasta said.

“I don’t know if Ben Hunt is a seven anymore. The way he’s played at nine, he’s been much better in that position.

“He hasn’t played that well at seven for a number of year now, maybe it’s just time he accepts it that he is a nine now.

“Where would he play seven in any other side now?”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/b03e8039cff08fd460f2d70816318e1c
TBH he can go tomorrow...1.2 mill a year for what.....over paid and under achieved....the Thurstons of this world absolutely worth every cent ...but the likes of Hunt and Norman on the coin their on absolutely ridiculous

FlameThrower

Bench
f both Hunt and Cam are not happy to be playing out of position, then a move back to Broncos by Hunt may well solve a number of problems for us.