What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

jak

Bench
What we all need to acknowledge is, due to lack of reserve grade the past 2 seasons , the number of games that Sullivan, Amone, Sloan & the fegai's have played against men. I doubt it would be more than a dozen and that is the reason Hook is reluctant for them to start two games in a row. I'm happy with that as he has far more experience & information on how to bring juniors on. The Mbye signing is to cover for all as well as hooker.
exactly , spot on

BLM01

First Grade
Maths isn't my strong point, but I do recall him debuting in 2018. (2018 + 2019 + 2020 + 2021+ 2022 = 5 seasons).

No narrative here mate. These are cold hard facts and they are not in dispute. Injuries, playing out of position, being coached by a moron are all part and parcel of the journey. But the journey enters it's 5th season of 1st grade in 2022. These facts are not in dispute. What is in dispute is if the young'ish man can start to deliver on his "potential". I for one, would love to see that potential realised. But I am starting to grow weary of the narrative around Zac Lomax. It is starting to read as a work of fiction.
What is fiction is your math
And also fortune telling is not your strength either
He debuted in mid 18 and played not even a handful of games at 18 yrs old that year so hardly counts
Anyway according to that so 5 yrs = mid 23 and we ain’t there yet.. actually 2 years short if you count his unavailability this year

I honestly think that he was starting to reach and realise some potential at the start of this year in many ways but still with work to do but injury put the brakes on that

Not saying he is the finished product or anywhere near SOO worthy but you seem to forget that potential gets realised with age too ..he is still only 21 and has not even played 50 games yet

But you don’t have to agree he is a good player but don’t base it on false facts

Last edited:

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Maths isn't my strong point, but I do recall him debuting in 2018. (2018 + 2019 + 2020 + 2021+ 2022 = 5 seasons).

No narrative here mate. These are cold hard facts and they are not in dispute. Injuries, playing out of position, being coached by a moron are all part and parcel of the journey. But the journey enters it's 5th season of 1st grade in 2022. These facts are not in dispute. What is in dispute is if the young'ish man can start to deliver on his "potential". I for one, would love to see that potential realised. But I am starting to grow weary of the narrative around Zac Lomax. It is starting to read as a work of fiction.

Lomax made his NRL debut in Round 10, 2018 and represented the Junior Kangaroos in consecutive years (2018-19). 2020 saw Lomax selected in New South Wales' senior State of Origin squad.

The Temora Schoolboys junior will remain at the club until at least the end of the 2025 season, after signing a five-year deal at the end of 2019.

Rob Dragon 1

Juniors
He debuted in mid 18 and played not even a handful of games at 18 yrs old that year so hardly counts
Anyway according to that so 5 yrs = mid 23 and we ain’t there yet.. actually 2 years short if you count his unavailability this year

I honestly think that he was starting to reach and realise some potential at the start of this year in many ways but still with work to do but injury put the brakes on that

Not saying he is the finished product or anywhere near SOO worthy but you seem to forget that potential gets realised with age too ..he is still only 21 and has not even played 50 games yet

But you don’t have to agree he is a good player but don’t base it on false facts
I said he will have been in the 1st grade systems for 5 years by season 2022. So lets count together shall we:

Year 1 - 2018
Year 2 - 2019
Year 3 - 2020
Year 4 - 2021
Year 5 - 2022

That would be 5 years by the time the 2022 season rolls around. I never said he had played the entirety of these seasons, but the facts remain that he will have been in the 1st grade system for 5 years. I am trying to make it as simple as possible for you, but you seem to not want to accept the facts and that is your issue not mine.

As for me being a fortune teller? Well, I am a bit confused by that statement; but given it is nonsensical I will let it be.

As for agreeing weather he is a good player or not; I cannot comment and hence the central argument of my opinion. After 5 years in the 1st grade system I am not sure if he is a good player or not. I would love him to become a marquee type player for us, but he has not got close to that status to date.

Let's leave this back and forth now. You rate Zac Lomax (and I do respect your opinion) and I am not sure how to rate him as he has not shown any consistent form to convince me one way or the other.

Last edited:

Carlton

Juniors
I said he will have been in the 1st grade systems for 5 years by season 2022. So lets count together shall we:

Year 1 - 2018
Year 2 - 2019
Year 3 - 2020
Year 4 - 2021
Year 5 - 2022

That would be 5 years by the time the 2022 season rolls around. I never said he had played the entirety of these seasons, but the facts remain that he will have been in the 1st grade system for 5 years. I am trying to make it as simple as possible for you, but you seem to not want to accept the facts and that is your issue not mine.

As for me being a fortune teller? Well, I am a bit confused by that statement; but given it is nonsensical I will let it be.

As for agreeing weather he is a good player or not; I cannot comment and hence the central argument of my opinion. After 5 years in the 1st grade system I am not sure if he is a good player or not. I would love him to become a marquee type player for us, but he has not got close to that status to date.

Let's leave this back and forth now. You rate Zac Lomax (and I do respect your opinion) and I am not sure how to rate him as he has not shown any consistent form to convince me one way or the other.
What has 2022 got to do with his first grade experience we are in 2021, in 2023 it would be 6 years and in 2024 it would be 7 years. He has played a couple of games in 2018 and missed most of 2021.

I dont disagree that I also find his progression slower than what I was expecting but there is no need to try to make his experience more than what it is.

mickeylane

Bench

Lomax is a myth...overrated and lacks any level of intensity in his game...

BLM01

First Grade

Year 1 - 2018
Year 2 - 2019
Year 3 - 2020
Year 4 - 2021
Year 5 - 2022

Let's leave this back and forth now. You rate Zac Lomax (and I do respect your opinion) and I am not sure how to rate him as he has not shown any consistent form to convince me one way or the

Year 1 - 2018
Year 2 - 2019
Year 3 - 2020
Year 4 - 2021
Year 5 - 2022

Of course I will leave it. But I note your departing leaving us all with the stretch of the facts one more time.
Yeh I get it it sounds a long time. What was the club thinking to sign this potentially good 20 year old player up long term after years of not showing much.

Last edited:

Rob Dragon 1

Juniors
What has 2022 got to do with his first grade experience we are in 2021, in 2023 it would be 6 years and in 2024 it would be 7 years. He has played a couple of games in 2018 and missed most of 2021.

I dont disagree that I also find his progression slower than what I was expecting but there is no need to try to make his experience more than what it is.
Carlton, I agree mate. My point is that (for a variety of reasons) his progression has been slow, and I wonder if he had not been anointed by Daley/Fittler as "the next big thing" if our expectations would not have been so high? My point to the other Member was simply that by the time 2022 rolls around it will be his 5th year in the 1st Grade system and we would all love to see him flourish. Indeed, we need him to flourish.

Maybe his slower than expected progression is due to (a) being coached by an idiot; (b) injury interrupted; (c) being in a poorly performed team or (d) being introduced too early. It is hard to tell. Perhaps we would have flourished in the Storm system? And of course there is no magic formula that says a young player must have "made it" by a certain age.

I will be the 1st Member to sing his praises if/when he realises the potential that MUCH better judges then me see in Lomax. At the moment however I find him under-whelming and I am sorry that my opinion so offends the other Member.

Rob Dragon 1

Juniors
Of course I will leave it. But I note your departing leaving us all with the stretch of the facts one more time.
Yeh I get it it sounds a long time. What was the club thinking to sign this potentially good 20 year old player up long term after years of not showing much.
And now we agree, at last. "What was the club thinking to sign this potentially good 20 year old player up long term after years of not showing much"?

Thought I was going mad, but great to agree with you on this point. And now you and I and all concerned wait to see if Lomax can show us more then "not much".

Last edited:

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Carlton, I agree mate. My point is that (for a variety of reasons) his progression has been slow, and I wonder if he had not been anointed by Daley/Fittler as "the next big thing" if our expectations would not have been so high? My point to the other Member was simply that by the time 2022 rolls around it will be his 5th year in the 1st Grade system and we would all love to see him flourish. Indeed, we need him to flourish.

Maybe his slower than expected progression is due to (a) being coached by an idiot; (b) injury interrupted; (c) being in a poorly performed team or (d) being introduced too early. It is hard to tell. Perhaps we would have flourished in the Storm system? And of course there is no magic formula that says a young player must have "made it" by a certain age.

I will be the 1st Member to sing his praises if/when he realises the potential that MUCH better judges then me see in Lomax. At the moment however I find him under-whelming and I am sorry that my opinion so offends the other Member.
Lomax is an absolute weapon, hope he stays. Worth every cent. He’s had a bad year with injury, it happens.

Rob Dragon 1

Juniors
Lomax is an absolute weapon, hope he stays. Worth every cent. He’s had a bad year with injury, it happens.
Not just a weapon, but an ABSOLUTE weapon. Man-o -man, my judgement is well off the mark. When I think of regular NRL weapons (as distinct from absolute weapons) I think Tom Trbojevic or Latrell Mitchell. I can now confidently tell my Manly mates that you guys might have a "weapon" but we've got an ABSOLUTE weapon.

Dragonsteve2

Juniors
Lomax is a myth...overrated and lacks any level of intensity in his game...
He looks pretty intense when he jumps for the high ball! The first Dragon since Ben Creagh to have a decent go at the high ball. The best goal kicker the Dragons have had since Jamie Soward though I acknowledge Widdup improved throughout his tenure. An excellent kicker can only achieve success through his intensity in practice and concentration in the game. He is generally strong in defence but has made some defensive errors.

I think his Rd 10 debut in 2018 was Mary's token last 5 minutes off the bench with the Dragons well behind.

Funny how there are plenty on the Forum decrying the possibility of Mbye's signing as another older player with his best years behind him but now Lomax cops it from some after being signed to a long contract with his best years ahead of him.

Carlton

Juniors

I dont disagree with what you say, I also have been disappointed with his progress. He seemed to have more flair when he first came into first grade. The thing that has improved is his defence.

mickeylane

Bench
He looks pretty intense when he jumps for the high ball! The first Dragon since Ben Creagh to have a decent go at the high ball. The best goal kicker the Dragons have had since Jamie Soward though I acknowledge Widdup improved throughout his tenure. An excellent kicker can only achieve success through his intensity in practice and concentration in the game. He is generally strong in defence but has made some defensive errors.

I think his Rd 10 debut in 2018 was Mary's token last 5 minutes off the bench with the Dragons well behind.

Funny how there are plenty on the Forum decrying the possibility of Mbye's signing as another older player with his best years behind him but now Lomax cops it from some after being signed to a long contract with his best years ahead of him.
Was Daryl Halligan a great player? He was the greatest kicker of all time...but could hardly play...just because you can kick and jump well doesn't make you a top-line player and in this case a top line centre... the position of center is to create attacking opportunities out wide with his skill for himself and his outside men using speed and guile whilst also being a solid defender (Lomax has no speed nor has any guile) .....Lomax is not a patch on Cooper, Gasnier at similar ages even Josh Morris all past Dragons centers.. nor is he a patch on similar experienced centres like Bradman Best, Stephen Crichton, Joey Manu, Justin Olam, Bronson Xerri (until he was banned) .....he's a solid first grader but by no means the world-beater that we need in the centers

Gareth67

First Grade
He will be up against some very good opposition in these the final weeks of the season, so these games will be a true yardstick of his abilities .

For mine he does possess the necessary skills to become a important cog in the Dragons machine (?) , I think it is merely a case of him having a permanent partner in the centers , not as it has been for some time now - one that changes on a weekly basis .

mickeylane

Bench
Yeah righto mate. You’ll be the first on here woohooing when he plays well.
of course, I'm a Dragons supporter and will always support any player doing well , but that doesn't mean i can't comment on the weaknesses in our team - Lomax worries me w his attitude and lack of urgency when the team needed him most he just burned 3 games in quarantine because of who knows what...

Latest posts