What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Maddragon99

Juniors
He us not officially an employee of the Dragons till Nov 1
In the general scheme of things the Burgess incident isn’t a big deal. If he wasn’t a footy player then nothing would have happened. Hopefully a learning opportunity for Burgess he’s been away from Aust for a while now.

As you say he’s not currently under contract with us or the NRL so best everyone moves on.

But the fact he’s a genuine tough nut is exciting for us next year, just the enforcer we’ve been looking for.

Rob Dragon 1

Juniors
Violent altercation? Hardly.
Who alleges that a violent altercation occurred? The only party who knows the "alleged facts" at this stage are the NSW Police. Let it play out. You, me, we do not know the state of mind of the complainant. Charges have been laid which suggests that evidence is supportive. Allegations do not need to pass a "violence" threshold to result in charges. You're well off the mark mate.

Who alleges that a violent altercation occurred? The only party who knows the "alleged facts" at this stage are the NSW Police. Let it play out. You, me, we do not know the state of mind of the complainant. Charges have been laid which suggests that evidence is supportive. Allegations do not need to pass a "violence" threshold to result in charges. You're well off the mark mate.
I stand corrected.

Rob Dragon 1

Juniors
In the general scheme of things the Burgess incident isn’t a big deal. If he wasn’t a footy player then nothing would have happened. Hopefully a learning opportunity for Burgess he’s been away from Aust for a while now.

As you say he’s not currently under contract with us or the NRL so best everyone moves on.

But the fact he’s a genuine tough nut is exciting for us next year, just the enforcer we’ve been looking for.
Completely and utterly incorrect. I have seen complainants absolutely traumatised by events I would have considered trivial. Not a single one of us walks in the shoes of another person and have the right to determine how an alleged altercation effects different people. Do you know who was is in the car with the complainant? I don't? What if children were present who cannot sleep now? I don't know. Stop making assumptions about a matter that we know nothing about.

To suggest that charges have been laid because Burgess is an NRL player is ridiculous.

I am glad that you're not representing Burgess in Court..."Your Honor, our contention is that the Defendant has been signalled out because he is an NRL Player. The Defence rests".

Magistrate, "The Court finds the Defendant guilty of said offences, based on the fact that the Defence has not contested any of the said offences nor offered any evidence in contravention".

PLEASE STOP ARGUING ABOUT LEGAL MATTERS OF WHICH YOU HAVE NO KNOWLEDGE OR EXPERIENCE. PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
Again, and apologies but I don't think some of you understand how the criminal justice system works. The complainant does not have to have suffered "HARM" - (as defined) to bring a complaint of Assault. I would suggest that a formal complaint was made with accompanying evidence. While you and I (and I dare say the NSW Police) are probably thinking ...really???? They must investigate and charge if the evidence supports the same. We of course do not know what if any verbal threats were made, nor are we privy to the Complainants Statement. Perhaps the Complainant felt intimidated and threatened by a 120KG man?

What I have learnt over the past 29 years in the legal game is that there are always 2 or 3 or is that 4 sides to every story; and shades of grey abound. Sometimes I throw my hands in the air and say to myself "what even happened here". The truth is an illusionary beast at times!

The replacement of damaged goods would be considered a "civil" matter and the compensatory issues can be determined between the parties. If a criminal complaint of wilful damage (supported by evidence) is made, the Police MUST investigate and lay charges UNLESS the complainant withdraws said complaint (even then the Police have authority to continue with charges if they deem the matter to be of a serious nature).

If the complainant is adamant that a crime has been committed and they have substantive evidence in support.....the ship sails!
Fair enough I suppose, but little wonder the court system is over burdened if a bit of common sense can't prevail. All depends on the attitude of the combatants I guess.

Juniors
I've been with some of the Balmain players in the 70's at the local inner west pubs & lucky there were no cameras around then. Nothing illegal happened just alcohol fueled silly stuff which the off duty cops even turned a blind eye to. If it happened today the PC brigade would be calling for their heads. 🤣
Off duty cops be worse on the drink. Back then they probably still on duty.

Old Timer

Coach
I've been with some of the Balmain players in the 70's at the local inner west pubs & lucky there were no cameras around then. Nothing illegal happened just alcohol fueled silly stuff which the off duty cops even turned a blind eye to. If it happened today the PC brigade would be calling for their heads. 🤣
I know of one such incident when a centre come 2nd rower who was with the Tigers for a very long time actually came out of the underground car park and instead of hitting the brake hit the accelerator and launched his car onto the median strip on Victoria Road

No mean effort and all kept reasonably under wraps.

If it was today he would be on the sideline for a very long time indeed.

blacksafake

First Grade
I know of one such incident when a centre come 2nd rower who was with the Tigers for a very long time actually came out of the underground car park and instead of hitting the brake hit the accelerator and launched his car onto the median strip on Victoria Road

No mean effort and all kept reasonably under wraps.

If it was today he would be on the sideline for a very long time indeed.
He wasn’t captain at one stage with a beard was he?

Rob Dragon 1

Juniors
Last post and I will let it rest. The trouble with "amateur lawyers" who have theories on Criminal Law matters was best surmised recently with a defendant who was referred to me for advice. He was a pumped up gym junkie charged with certain "offences" who was in receipt of a Court Attendance Notice. He spouted all sorted of nonsense about this and that and told me what was what. I let him rant with his macho bull-shit and advised him he needed to get his affairs in order. This stopped him momentarily and he asked me what I meant by this? I advised him that he was facing 15 Years in the Big House if the charges are proved. Blood drained from his face, his bravado evaporated and he started to cry.

He was genuinely shocked and told me that his brother in law told him it was a beat up. When queried about his brother in laws legal expertise, I learnt that he was a Courier. Noble profession, but not ideal in Criminal Law matters. I was then instructed to "contact the Cops and tell them what was what". I advised that this was not the way the process worked and in any event the "train has left the station"; as charges are afoot.

Point is, Criminal Law matters are serious and I think it is a really good thing that nearly all the folk on this NRL forum appear to lack the knowledge of the process and procedural matters. That is a wonderful thing as it shows that the majority have not had any reason to interact with the Criminal Law system. That's a great thing and long may it last. But make no mistake these matters are not "negotiated away" in a trivial manner. Once the train leaves the station, she's rolls on.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Like I said don’t shoot the messenger. But if it was true it would be massive.
I’m not shooting the messenger, not you anyway. Old mate on the motorbike can suck a fat one though for making stuff like that up. Us picking up Haas would be like me spending the night with Yanet Garcia, only less likely.

Latest posts