What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

BLM01

First Grade
Obviously Bellyache sees something in him and his judgement is normally pretty spot on.
No its not always. Their have been a few gone down there and not made it to regular 1st grade.
Not saying he wont but there have been a few leave to get an opportunity in 1sts
Even some of Bellyaches recruitments have not always panned out successfully

possm

Coach
We keep saying the same thing, well maybe I do and much of our dilemma through the last 11 years is due to the mismanagement of the football part of the organisations of the joint venture.

They basically haven't got any real idea because if they did we would not be talking about them in this way.
One of the major power brokers at the Club is now our Chairman; say no more.

possm

Coach
Obviously Bellyache sees something in him and his judgement is normally pretty spot on.
Wishart would have come cheap, that is what you want in a backup. With so many good players in their ranks, Wishart would have helped to solve their salary cap juggle.

Gareth67

First Grade
Matt Johns certainly is correct in his assessment and the sad thing about the situation is that it is of the NRL’s own doing that it has come about .

Undoubtedly there are clubs who are and have been giving sweeteners to their star players in lieu of actual contract dollars and the game’s governing body has been all too aware of it for quite some time , yet they continue to sit on their hands and do nothing about it - shame !

The result is as Matty has said , a huge gulf between the top tier clubs and those whom will continue to be the ‘ also-runs ‘ of the competition . The salary cap rules and TPA’s are a not water tight as has been proven time and time again . One only needs to look at how many clubs have been caught cheating the system over the years .

Eventually the competition may become a two tier system as in English soccer . The top 8 in one one and the bottom 8 , top tier teams fighting to avoid relegation and the bottom 8 striving to ascend to the higher competition .

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
Matt Johns certainly is correct in his assessment and the sad thing about the situation is that it is of the NRL’s own doing that it has come about .

Undoubtedly there are clubs who are and have been giving sweeteners to their star players in lieu of actual contract dollars and the game’s governing body has been all too aware of it for quite some time , yet they continue to sit on their hands and do nothing about it - shame !

The result is as Matty has said , a huge gulf between the top tier clubs and those whom will continue to be the ‘ also-runs ‘ of the competition . The salary cap rules and TPA’s are a not water tight as has been proven time and time again . One only needs to look at how many clubs have been causing cheating the system over the years .

Eventually the competition may become a two tier system as in English soccer . The top 8 in one one and the bottom 8 , top tier teams fighting against relegation and bottom 8 striving to ascend to the higher competition .
Agreed Gareth but wait on, there will be 17 teams in the comp from 2023 and this number will drag on for while until another club is named (getting the required player numbers and with some quality is proving difficult for the Dolphins even with Bennett as the coach - how will things be when the 18th team comes in?). I get your point though and I guess have say top 10 teams and bottom 7, then 8 (if an 18th team comes in) with relegating and ascending arrangements.

Gareth67

First Grade
Agreed Gareth but wait on, there will be 17 teams in the comp from 2023 and this number will drag on for while until another club is named (getting the required player numbers and with some quality is proving difficult for the Dolphins even with Bennett as the coach - how will things be when the 18th team comes in?). I get your point though and I guess have say top 10 teams and bottom 7, then 8 (if an 18th team comes in) with relegating and ascending arrangements.
There is no need to throw a spanner in the works Dave ☺️ , however it would come as no surprise to discover that this is the hidden agenda that the NRL has been sitting on for quite some time .

FlameThrower

Bench
No way, if you play with the 2 strips, it will cause more issue with dividing supporters, we need to stop trying accommodate everyone we should play all games in our designated official jersey which is the Red V, we can use the steelers jersey when we have clash with any other team that wears red/white or they can designate the game against Canberra as a steelers jersey game and play the for the McIntyre and Millward Cup.
Geez , out of the Simms 700k contract we save 300k by letting him go now ? We are not going to get much for that. I get that we can promote Molo or Hunt but we can anyhow in June ? The only benefit is if we use the money to add to any offer we are making for a new player , hopefully really good one ( one's ? ) and get it over the line.

FlameThrower

Bench
If the Dragons can sign the likes of Su’a and Molo , then there must be a chance of a decent replacement for Mr. Simms , but as far as allowing him to leave early is concerned the Dragons need to say no .
We don’t have a ready made replacement - only the Dragons would think this is good idea!

FlameThrower

Bench
No its not always. Their have been a few gone down there and not made it to regular 1st grade.
Not saying he wont but there have been a few leave to get an opportunity in 1sts
Even some of Bellyaches recruitments have not always panned out successfully
Mate, if we had 50% of his strike rate - we’d be champions. As much as it pains me say it - the Storm take their professional to another level . What we have is park football attitude with a bunch of guys signed up because they are cheap first and foremost!!!

RedVDave

First Grade
Good to see however, I don't get the forty year part.

I truly don't understand why the Steelers strip can't be used down in the Gong, the Red V at Kogarah.

I'm not a fan but If you must have the other Red jersey, use it for away games.
This comment will probably get a lot of heat but I think the Steelers emblem should be on the sleeve of our jersey (ala West's) or have both original emblems st George Dragonslayers and Steelers logo on the sleeves and St George Illawarra emblem on the front keep all parties happy.

Puff

First Grade
This comment will probably get a lot of heat but I think the Steelers emblem should be on the sleeve of our jersey (ala West's) or have both original emblems st George Dragonslayers and Steelers logo on the sleeves and St George Illawarra emblem on the front keep all parties happy.
Because you would lose 75percent of your supporter base in one swoop.