What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Billeus

Juniors
Does anyone have any clue as to who stumped up the TPA for Hunt?
I'm not certain about this but since his new contract, I've been noticing him appear in Shell adds, mostly on websites accessed by phone and it got me wondering if that is the third party as I can't remember noticing them previously. I think the adds I've seen are provided by google, when you use their search engine.

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade
Jeez I really hope Browny comes back. He is gun at identifying good talent. Set up the team perfect for Bennett to come in and win a comp. He has no interest in coaching but will provide great cattle for the coach. How he uses them is a different story.

One thing for sure if Brown was coach players like Macca and Woods would not be playing in FG. Those guys are not the type of players he usually goes for looking at his history. Hopefully his first job will be to get them out of the club asap to free up any space. Then become selector of the FG side as he would definitely do a better job than Hook.
I am not sure you can say Browny set up the team perfectly for Bennett? He said it publicly
We had some basis of the squad before Brownie and yes some good juniors come through under his watch but
Bennett basically bought in a new fullback, whole new forward pack and utility who was tougher to do the job to rid us of the chokers tag.. Let Jmoz go
But I agree I think Browny will do a 500% better job than what has happened in the past 10 years prior about identifying and nurturing the right talent from a large base

possm

Coach
I'm not certain about this but since his new contract, I've been noticing him appear in Shell adds, mostly on websites accessed by phone and it got me wondering if that is the third party as I can't remember noticing them previously. I think the adds I've seen are provided by google, when you use their search engine.
I'd like to see TPA be the responsibility of player managers and that TPA travel with the players from contract to contract.

The Word

Juniors
May have already been covered but The Mole reporting today that Sloan and Bud agreed to stay because they were told Hook won’t coach the Dragons beyond 2023. Of course maybe click bait but fits in nicely with the prodigal son returning in 2024 after his Cowboys stint.
Can't really see this as anything other than the usual unsubstantiated media bullsh.t carlton. I just don't think that Webb would be stupid enough to tell a couple of reserve grade kids to hang on because their coach is going to be let go this year. You just don't undermine a head coach's authority in that manner.

Far more likely is he's sat them both down and calmly explained to them the reality of their contracts, not to listen to their agents or media, and that St George Illawarra is 100% not going to release either of them early. They would be reminded that they need to continue to work hard like Amone has, like Feagai has, and like Ramsey has. Dislodging a player of the calibre of Ben Hunt will not be easy but it's a wonderful challenge for Sullivan to work towards. If Sloan can improve his defence then he can start knocking on the coaches door asking him for a chance if there is an injury at full back or on the wing. It will be hard though as Ramsey was not doing much wrong towards the end of last year.

They would also have been aware of the fan backlash.

The reality of Griffin's situation is that if he doesn't improve the side into a top 8 by half way through the season then that's probably then end of him. That's no secret to anyone including the coach. However, in the unlikely event that he does (and I'm always stupidly optimistic) it may be that he saves himself and the unhappy squad players simply have to fall into line.

CronullaSaint

Juniors
Can't really see this as anything other than the usual unsubstantiated media bullsh.t carlton. I just don't think that Webb would be stupid enough to tell a couple of reserve grade kids to hang on because their coach is going to be let go this year. You just don't undermine a head coach's authority in that manner.

Far more likely is he's sat them both down and calmly explained to them the reality of their contracts, not to listen to their agents or media, and that St George Illawarra is 100% not going to release either of them early. They would be reminded that they need to continue to work hard like Amone has, like Feagai has, and like Ramsey has. Dislodging a player of the calibre of Ben Hunt will not be easy but it's a wonderful challenge for Sullivan to work towards. If Sloan can improve his defence then he can start knocking on the coaches door asking him for a chance if there is an injury at full back or on the wing. It will be hard though as Ramsey was not doing much wrong towards the end of last year.

The reality of Griffin's situation is that if he doesn't improve the side into a top 8 by half way through the season then that's probably then end of him. That's no secret to anyone including the coach. However, in the unlikely event that he does (and I'm always stupidly optimistic) it may be that he saves himself and the unhappy squad players simply have to fall into line.
Going by our recent history, being in the top 8 half way through would mean we miss out on the top 8 by the time the finals come around.

Dragon David

First Grade
After we have signed Hook to another 3 year extention…. I’m having bad flashbacks to the McMess days!
Surely this won't happen Dea. If it does happen then my days of following the Dragons will be over as i'm sure many on here would do the same. However, if by some miracle we make top 8 then top 4 in the next few years with the older man there and he does a good job with the young guns, then I might hold off for a while longer. I'm thinking that relying on miracles is like me being a follower of the Lord Jesus who in a way was a great sleight of hand guy entertaining the masses.

OneEyedDragon

Juniors

Great stuff @The Word . Have you thought about applying for the pathways and recruitment job?

possm

Coach

So, why stick with Griffin when he has failed so miserably each season he has been here? Each time they extend the time he is with us, they waste the opportunity to improve the squad and turn things around.

There is only one answer that comes to mind; Craig Young's desire to appoint his son Dean as head coach in 2024.

I'd rather have Hasler appointed in 2023. In my opinion, Hasler and Brown would be able to turn things around very quickly.

Yow

Juniors
So, why stick with Griffin when he has failed so miserably each season he has been here? Each time they extend the time he is with us, they waste the opportunity to improve the squad and turn things around.

There is only one answer that comes to mind; Craig Young's desire to appoint his son Dean as head coach in 2024.

I'd rather have Hasler appointed in 2023. In my opinion, Hasler and Brown would be able to turn things around very quickly.
Not sure if you have mentioned that before.

DfL

Juniors

NRL Market Watch: Reece Robson set to sign Cowboys extension​

The NRL transfer market is in overdrive, with one big gun set to ink a bumper extension and the Titans scoring a signing coup — keep up with all the latest NRL transfer news.

NRL

Don't miss out on the headlines from NRL. Followed categories will be added to My News.
Follow
One of the NRL’s most in demand free agents is about to be officially taken off the market.
Gun Cowboys dummy half Reece Robson is expected to extend his future at North Queensland in the coming days.
The Cowboys are aiming to lock down the tough hooker before November 1 to stave off significant interest from rival clubs.
Robson is due to return from his end of season trip to the United States on Friday and will walk straight into contract talks this weekend.
Reece Robson is set to sign a new deal with the Cowboys. Picture: Getty Images

It appears all but certain the former St George Illawarra Dragon will be staying in Townsville for the long term.
Robson was considered a gun prospect while at the Dragons but at that point had then captain Cameron McInnes ahead of him in the pecking order.
But the 24-year-old has gone from strength to strength at the Cowboys to the point where he is now regarded as a future NSW State of Origin hooker, after being called into the Blues camp for the decider this year.

Officially no light at the end of the tunnel 😤

justadragon

Bench

NRL Market Watch: Reece Robson set to sign Cowboys extension​

The NRL transfer market is in overdrive, with one big gun set to ink a bumper extension and the Titans scoring a signing coup — keep up with all the latest NRL transfer news.

NRL

Don't miss out on the headlines from NRL. Followed categories will be added to My News.
Follow
One of the NRL’s most in demand free agents is about to be officially taken off the market.
Gun Cowboys dummy half Reece Robson is expected to extend his future at North Queensland in the coming days.
The Cowboys are aiming to lock down the tough hooker before November 1 to stave off significant interest from rival clubs.
Robson is due to return from his end of season trip to the United States on Friday and will walk straight into contract talks this weekend.

It appears all but certain the former St George Illawarra Dragon will be staying in Townsville for the long term.
Robson was considered a gun prospect while at the Dragons but at that point had then captain Cameron McInnes ahead of him in the pecking order.
But the 24-year-old has gone from strength to strength at the Cowboys to the point where he is now regarded as a future NSW State of Origin hooker, after being called into the Blues camp for the decider this year.

Officially no light at the end of the tunnel 😤
Well there goes the Dean Young theory that he would be bring Robson with him, lets hope our young hookers work out !!!