What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

qld redvee

Juniors
Rumour is that Hook will be using the young guns a lot more next year, maybe as a direction by the club to do so. With this in mind, Hunt could very well end up in the 9 and Sullivan in the 7 position. Sullivan was never going to the Bulldogs in my opinion.
DD,
you would hope the club has given Hook a few rules to coach by ( much like they did with mary) So I hope a major rule is no woods and mccullough in the 17 unless we cant field a team .

Dragon David

First Grade
DD,
you would hope the club has given Hook a few rules to coach by ( much like they did with mary) So I hope a major rule is no woods and mccullough in the 17 unless we cant field a team .
Agreed qld redvee. Better use of the younger players would be on the agenda. I think any further signings (not that many) won't be announced until after Nov 1 and those not in the world cup will all be at pre-season training, so I hope the spies will be out to see how they are shaping up.

Amongst all the doom and gloom, we have got to lift our spirits as we need to do so that we can all look forward to next year.

Mjab

Juniors
Great blokes we all agree...but do they have the business, management, financial, networking and organisational skills required to get the place moving..I don't think so and that has been our problem for years.
this is absolutely correct , strong clubs have strong boards and skill sets needed to run a multimillion organisation , not ex players looking for a gig , albeit they may be better than old unskilled duds we have with their snouts in the trough

Parko1310

Juniors
I think with the threat that Sullivan could have been leaving, the Dragons would have reconsidered signing Robson. I think Hunt is almost certain to move to 9 in either 2024 or 25, but not next year. I see Sullivan coming off the bench at 14 rotating with either Liddle or Macca (surely Liddle). As for Sloan, if Hook is planning to use the young guys more next year i'm not sure where he fits in exactly. Perhaps he just goes ahead of Moga in the pecking order if rava/feagai were to get injured or suspended.

On a side note, Mat Feagai in my opinion has overtaken ravalawa as our current best winger as rava hasn't had a good year since 2020. This could be partly due to his injuries and suspensions, but Mat Feagai is something very very special that we need to hold on to.

Overall, I think Sloan just gets an opportunity on the wing ahead of moga as i said if one of our wingers go down for now, just because Ramsey has done nothing to get dropped. In the long term, the option will probably be sloan as his ceiling is higher than Ramsey's. It's a shame because I don't think we can fit the both of them in the same team. Rava and Feagai are undeniably our top 2 wingers, so it can only be one of ramsey or sloan at the back for mine.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
I think with the threat that Sullivan could have been leaving, the Dragons would have reconsidered signing Robson. I think Hunt is almost certain to move to 9 in either 2024 or 25, but not next year. I see Sullivan coming off the bench at 14 rotating with either Liddle or Macca (surely Liddle). As for Sloan, if Hook is planning to use the young guys more next year i'm not sure where he fits in exactly. Perhaps he just goes ahead of Moga in the pecking order if rava/feagai were to get injured or suspended.

On a side note, Mat Feagai in my opinion has overtaken ravalawa as our current best winger as rava hasn't had a good year since 2020. This could be partly due to his injuries and suspensions, but Mat Feagai is something very very special that we need to hold on to.

Overall, I think Sloan just gets an opportunity on the wing ahead of moga as i said if one of our wingers go down for now, just because Ramsey has done nothing to get dropped. In the long term, the option will probably be sloan as his ceiling is higher than Ramsey's. It's a shame because I don't think we can fit the both of them in the same team. Rava and Feagai are undeniably our top 2 wingers, so it can only be one of ramsey or sloan at the back for mine.
Agree with most of what you say here Parko1310…unless Rava ended up in the pack( dunno) or Ramsey can keep building his body to accommodate the centre position ala Campbell Graham type.

Parko1310

Juniors
Agree with most of what you say here Parko1310…unless Rava ended up in the pack( dunno) or Ramsey can keep building his body to accommodate the centre position ala Campbell Graham type.
Ramsey's a very underrated defender, so I think he could handle the centre position, however i also think he's far from our best option. Obviously Suli and Lomax are ahead of him, and then there's the feagai twins. If one of our centres go down, my solution would just be to move Mat Feagai to centre and then bring sloan onto the wing. I also don't think Rava is a forward. Ramsey does strike me as someone who in the future will be a really quality backup fullback. Has a fantastic attitude and is defensively solid, comes on the cheap too. All the qualities you need for that position in your squad and so that will serve our depth well (so long as sloan progresses the way we're all hoping he will).

The good thing our squad does have, is options in the backline. I just wish we had the same headaches in the forward pack...

The Word

Juniors

Agree with this Parko. I think Sullivan's job in pre-season is to prove himself to Griffin and move ahead of Mbye in the race for that bench spot. This will give him exposure through the season and let the coaches have a proper look at him in first grade, providing he can stay fit. If this goes well, then we can all have a proper conversation about whether him or Ben Hunt should play 7. But he has to be genuinely better that Mbye in pre-season and Trials.

Rava's big test is modifying his tackle technique to keep his arms down. If he can do this, then he's still The Man.

If Ramsey stays fit then I agree Sloan's best option is a wing spot to cover injury. Whether he gets ahead of Moga will depend on how the team is defending at the time. If Griffin feels we need size and strength out wide, he'll pick Moga. If he thinks we are defending well and need more creativity, hopefully Sloan gets in.

Regarding the general complaint I keep hearing about using younger players better, I think he's done well in allowing 3 juniors to establish themselves as first team starters last year. I only wish we had a similar crop of big talented forwards knocking on the door. For me, we still need two high quality forwards to be genuine top 8 contenders, one backrower and one front rower.

Parko1310

Juniors
Agree with this Parko. I think Sullivan's job in pre-season is to prove himself to Griffin and move ahead of Mbye in the race for that bench spot. This will give him exposure through the season and let the coaches have a proper look at him in first grade, providing he can stay fit. If this goes well, then we can all have a proper conversation about whether him or Ben Hunt should play 7. But he has to be genuinely better that Mbye in pre-season and Trials.

Rava's big test is modifying his tackle technique to keep his arms down. If he can do this, then he's still The Man.

If Ramsey stays fit then I agree Sloan's best option is a wing spot to cover injury. Whether he gets ahead of Moga will depend on how the team is defending at the time. If Griffin feels we need size and strength out wide, he'll pick Moga. If he thinks we are defending well and need more creativity, hopefully Sloan gets in.

Regarding the general complaint I keep hearing about using younger players better, I think he's done well in allowing 3 juniors to establish themselves as first team starters last year. I only wish we had a similar crop of big talented forwards knocking on the door. For me, we still need two high quality forwards to be genuine top 8 contenders, one backrower and one front rower.
Agree with you pretty much 100%. As you say, we definitely need a back-rower. I would probably say we also need two quality props that unfortunately are just not on the open market right now, so we'll have to wait until 2024 most likely. This is what worries me. Two quality props would see us almost certainly in the 8 in my view. It's crazy what a difference no front row will make to a team as i think we're currently a bottom 4 or 5 team next year. We need to go hard for Leniu and also Tom Flegler in my opinion. Josh Coric must still be a year or two away as well as he seemed to drift between flegg and second grade last year.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Ramsey's a very underrated defender, so I think he could handle the centre position, however i also think he's far from our best option. Obviously Suli and Lomax are ahead of him, and then there's the feagai twins. If one of our centres go down, my solution would just be to move Mat Feagai to centre and then bring sloan onto the wing. I also don't think Rava is a forward. Ramsey does strike me as someone who in the future will be a really quality backup fullback. Has a fantastic attitude and is defensively solid, comes on the cheap too. All the qualities you need for that position in your squad and so that will serve our depth well (so long as sloan progresses the way we're all hoping he will).

The good thing our squad does have, is options in the backline. I just wish we had the same headaches in the forward pack...
Yeh, I agree with your first pick centre options, and the Rava move. However, I actually see Ramsey as having the ability to cover Wing, Centre and Fullback quite seamlessly and competently, yet see Sloan at this stage only as a Fullback .

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Ramsey to wing and Sloan full back. I think that is the best option. Ramsey deserves a spot in the starting backline and Sloan needs time at Fullback. Ramsey can fill in FB if anything happens to Sloan.

Moga should not get a start unless they are desperate. Wingers need to show some pace. I still see images of that intercept he took and got run down. He looked like he was running in cement. Even Macca would have caught up to him and that is saying something. Ramsey is far better than Moga. Runs it back with vigour and would be great for that alone.

NRL or MRC killed Rava with the treatment he copped. I see no difference in Olam's hits to Rava yet Rava gets punished for it. Rava should leave Saints or go England as he is being targeted big time. He has not been the same. He looks like he is to cautious when he tackles not to get reported. Poor bloke. They did the same to the old front rower we had in Craig Smith. Klemmer runs similar if not worse than Craig did yet never got fined.

BLM01

First Grade

I cant quite agree yet Rava has been overtaken by Feagai. Yes he scored a good try in the last round but Rava scored some good ones too early on and was powerful.
Rava looked injured towards the mid / back end and lost his punch / confidence and some minor costly although difficult handlings errors to potentially seal wins and tries.
No doubt Matt is growing into it. I will make my judgement early next year on that but those 2 are starting wingers.
Sloan needs to work his way in or wait for injuries if all our back 7 are healthy.
I know Sloan has got the accolades and the hype and does move like a gazelle but geez I see a lot of promise and elecrtricity also in Ramsay as a top line fullback or winger.
His improvement in all parts from 21 to 22 when given a chance cannot be underestimated for someone still young.
He is a keeper for mine

Last edited:

Parko1310

Juniors
I cant quite agree yet Rava has been overtaken by Feagai. Yes he scored a good try in the last round but Rava scored some good ones too early on and was powerful.
Rava looked injured towards the mid / back end and lost his punch / confidence and some minor costly although difficult handlings errors to potentially seal wins and tries.
No doubt Matt is growing into it. I will make my judgement early next year on that but those 2 are starting wingers.
Sloan needs to work his way in or wait for injuries if all our back 7 are healthy.
I know Sloan has got the accolades and the hype and does move like a gazelle but geez I see a lot of promise and elecrtricity also in Ramsay as a top line fullback or winger.
His improvement in all parts from 21 to 22 when given a chance cannot be underestimated for someone still young.
He is a keeper for mine
Agree re Ramsey, we'll have to wait and see who wins that fullback battle in the long run. Regarding Feagai, i'm not merely being lazy and saying he's overtaken rava only because of his amazing try in the last round. If you watch closely, feagai was doing that sort of tackle busting and stepping all year. His try against Newcastle is a perfect example and he set up a couple of tries as well through busting tackles on the play prior to a try being scored. This sort of thing goes much unnoticed. He's so criminally underrated it's not funny. Great footwork, strength, and he's quicker than rava too. For someone in his first full year of grade, Feagai was in the top 50 tackle breakers in the NRL (42nd). Even more impressive, he was 4th in the nrl for line breaks. He's also extremely safe under the high ball and was our top try scorer, despite a clear preference from the team (especially once Suli got injured) to go to Lomax's side of the field more than the left. All in all, I'd say his work is very under appreciated and due to everything above, i believe he's the first winger picked.

Latest posts