What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Gippsy

Bench
Hear Clune has signed with Newcastle, probably a good move all round he’s too far down the pecking order now with Hunt, Mbye, Bird, Sullivan and Amone all potential halves.

The thing is he's not going to be any higher on the pecking order at the Knights.

I thought he'd be a good cheap depth player to have around the club, but what do I know!!

Dragsters

First Grade
We should have plenty of cap space for two gun players.

Fotuaika is a solid target with plenty of upside.

Suli is a decent strike centre but I'm not as convinced as I was last time around. He seems to fade in and out of games a lot more than he should for a bloke as menacing as him.

600 is a lot of coin for Suli when you consider what Hynes went for...

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
The thing is he's not going to be any higher on the pecking order at the Knights.

I thought he'd be a good cheap depth player to have around the club, but what do I know!!
If hook goes the way I think he will in using Hunt and Mbye in the halves Clune would struggle to even make our CC side. If Amone plays 6 or even on the bench next season then yes we will need a 5/8 for the Reggies side so would probably have to buy another one unless the club believe next crop coming through have already surpassed Clune. Bit of a shame we lost Wishart, he could have been handy and even become a hooking option if injury struck.

Trifili13

Juniors
I assume Fotuiaka would not be on huge $'s as I had never heard of him before this year and the Gold Coast would need to upgrade him big time to ward off other teams which might mean they have to let someone go. I like targeting players who are currently on low $'s and offering them an upgrade to come to us, especially when they are first grade ready and we have seen them already perform at SOO level, that is the type of signing we need. Trying to prize away a player already on 700 or 800k or even you need to pay then 900k to 1m and it stuffs your cap. Better to get someone whose on 300 to 400k and offer them 500 to 600k.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Before we get too carried away about signing Fotoaika, he is contracted next year, so any talks would be for 2023, unless the Titans release him early

Maddragon99

Juniors
We 'apparently' have offered Suli a 3yr deal between 500 - 600 a year.

We need a left centre, and Suli fits that bill.
No thank you to Suli.

Jack Bird has played the entire season injury free (who would have predicted that) & he’ll be even better next year with an uninterrupted offseason. Lomax & Bird in the centre’s for mine.

Suli would just be another road block to the Feagai’s

BLM01

First Grade
I assume Fotuiaka would not be on huge $'s as I had never heard of him before this year and the Gold Coast would need to upgrade him big time to ward off other teams which might mean they have to let someone go. I like targeting players who are currently on low $'s and offering them an upgrade to come to us, especially when they are first grade ready and we have seen them already perform at SOO level, that is the type of signing we need. Trying to prize away a player already on 700 or 800k or even you need to pay then 900k to 1m and it stuffs your cap. Better to get someone whose on 300 to 400k and offer them 500 to 600k.
Guess what, too late...he is now a state of origin rep
He is going to cost $$$ on his next deal likely around those figures you talk about you dont want to pay, likely we will need to pay around 650-700 + to secure him at a minimum.
Look at other SOO forwards values anywhere like Finucane but who is ageing, Sharks paid around 650-700 a season I think with a 4th year at half that I think.
He is worth it to our club and better than Molo

Old Timer

Coach
No thank you to Suli.

Jack Bird has played the entire season injury free (who would have predicted that) & he’ll be even better next year with an uninterrupted offseason. Lomax & Bird in the centre’s for mine.

Suli would just be another road block to the Feagai’s
First and foremost our young players have to make sure they are not a road block unto themselves.

Some are very lightly built (quite a few have been told / forced to put on weight) and almost all have glaring faults in their games.

In fact I am a bit alarmed how lightly built some of those that we are relying upon to come through the system actually are and I am wondering if that in fact is not part of a bigger problem in trying to get them to make it in the NRL.

boardlumps62

Juniors
First and foremost our young players have to make sure they are not a road block unto themselves.

Some are very lightly built (quite a few have been told / forced to put on weight) and almost all have glaring faults in their games.

In fact I am a bit alarmed how lightly built some of those that we are relying upon to come through the system actually are and I am wondering if that in fact is not part of a bigger problem in trying to get them to make it in the NRL.
Many Dragons supporters wanting the young blokes to be shoved into FG. As you say they are too light need another offseason or two. Amone will make it to 5/8 in 2022. That is why Mbye is coming to cover 1, 6, 7 maybe 9. We should get Suki hopefully then we can cover with Jack or Mbye.

carltonsouth79

First Grade
Wondering if we are looking at a backup 9? McCullogh is plenty tough and experienced but a bit one dimensional for mine.His injury has shown we don’t have a back up. Any young guns likely to step up there next year or are we looking for someone?

Trifili13

Juniors
Guess what, too late...he is now a state of origin rep
He is going to cost $$$ on his next deal likely around those figures you talk about you dont want to pay, likely we will need to pay around 650-700 + to secure him at a minimum.
Look at other SOO forwards values anywhere like Finucane but who is ageing, Sharks paid around 650-700 a season I think with a 4th year at half that I think.
He is worth it to our club and better than Molo
I'm happy to pay 650-750 for a top line forward which appears the going rate. What I was getting at is assuming his current salary is well below that, can the Gold Coast afford to match or go close to 650-700k pa and keep the rest of their squad?

Anyway, as someone else noted on the forum, at least we are now talking to players on the up, rather than other teams offcuts.

Gareth67

First Grade
Also just watched M johns PC fletch said there are still rumours about lomax. He's an easts man.

I thought that he had only last week taken up the option on the final year of his contract ?

Besides there is no way the the rorters would speak to a player that was only in the 2nd year of a 5 year contract - that would be against the rules put in place by the NRL . 🤔