What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

slippery5

Juniors
Thats a terrible decision if that is the case.
This thinking players that have bled red and white and excelled as players become coaches that turn players of today into doing the same thing for our club is 1960's'-1970's thinking.
Dean Young was someone without great ability gave it his all and some in our colours.
Captain courageous needs no introduction..however
Because these 2 coached Under 20's and bit of reggies together does not translate to success.
If we want success... well we have to go out and pay for it
Who would that be & who is available that would ever consider coming to the Dragons??
I would be happy with them if it means getting rid of someone who does not have a foresight into the future team roster of nurturing through our juniors.

FlameThrower

Bench
Right now - the cupboard looks bare. Players leaving, and no real new signings. The Stadia issue is a real one and both grounds need upgrading but there is no cash or justification from the stale/local government. WIN involvement or lack of is a real worry. Hooks tenure has been below average and gets another chance in 2023 with ‘new’ assistant coaches. Our captain and playmaker Hunt, is still not signed and that could be another drama looming. Man this is depressing!!!

YoungPanther

Juniors
I also think that Kerr has had a rough deal this season. He hasn't exactly grabbed his limited opportunities with both hands with strong performances but he's a big unit and with some guidance could have made a significant contribution. He's been with us for 6 years now and wouldn't be surprised a) if he looked elsewhere and b) made a real go of it.
Jordan McLean would be a useful depth signing - he's played in two (maybe three?) GF's and has a good engine.
I don't share your optimism about being too far away from finals footy - we were ragged all year and never won a match convincingly - our biggest winning margin was 20, and it was a struggle.
I remember the depression at home when we finished outside the Final Five in 1974, for the first time in 25 years. We've made the semi's only twice since 2011 - and limped in both times. A bigger fall from grace would be hard to imagine. I guess in those days we had Frank Facer at the helm of a board that were ahead of the game - now we have a bunch of faceless suits who can't manage a salary cap.
Jordan is staying at the Cowboys. Storm were very interested in getting him back but he knocked them back and will stay at Cows, but on less funds.

possm

Coach
Tbh, I'm warming to the idea of a Young/Hornby coaching tag team. Both of them would have run through a brick wall with a Red V on and they will have both benefitted from some time away from the club. I'm not convinced that the likes of Robinson would thrive outside the rarified atmosphere of Bondi and the shade of their salary sombrero, Slater is untried at club level and I can't think of anyone else I'd want near the place. We've signed some great "outsider" coaches in the past - Jack Gibson, Roy Masters and Ted Glossop to name but three - and they won us bugger all. Bennett won it for us but could have won it twice and then gutted the place when he left and handed us the poisoned chalice that was Steve Price.
Whichever way it goes, I'm just hoping that the end result is that we become a competitive side again - like we were for pretty much every season from 1999 to 2011.
Let's face it, if Craig Young was not the chairman of the Board, his son Dean would not have a hope in hell of being appointed head coach.

Let Young and Hornby perform the head coach job at another club, win a competition, and then consider either.

Both ex-players performed poorly when appointed the coach at the lower grade level.

It is not up to our club to provide ex-players with opportunities just because e they are ex-players. It is up to our club to provide the resources to sign the very best head coach that is available at the time.

I don't think there is a limit on the time span clubs can speak to a prospective coach. So find who is the best and negotiate with him now.

possm

Coach
This is crisis point.
We need a full impartial Review, of Club management. Exposed for all to see. Let's have a clear look
at the RESULTS these people
In charge have inflicted on this once proud club. Yes RESULTS that have reduced us to laughing stock. A club that players would clamber to be asked to wear the big red V. Now picking up Reserve players, misfits and castoffs. They have alot to answer for, these people getting " fat" of the toil & hard work of successful managers that came before them.
For as long as self-interest in the front office is tolerated by the media and fans of SGI, there will be no change.

Lindsay Moss

Juniors
Right now - the cupboard looks bare. Players leaving, and no real new signings. The Stadia issue is a real one and both grounds need upgrading but there is no cash or justification from the stale/local government. WIN involvement or lack of is a real worry. Hooks tenure has been below average and gets another chance in 2023 with ‘new’ assistant coaches. Our captain and playmaker Hunt, is still not signed and that could be another drama looming. Man this is depressing!!!
I don't have any issues with hunt moving on after next year as he will be 33 / 34 it would free up a lot of cash for some much needed forwards.

Yow

Juniors
Nothing will change at board level as this year they will see this as an improvement and be patting them selves on the back of a season on promise. They are happy to just make the numbers and a bonus to sneak into the 8. As long as they do not finish last they will be happy. It is clear that they only look at results and not actual games and performances on the field. On paper it looks like Saints just missed out on finals on 26 points which is more than what they got last year. They won 12-12. Against the top 5 they got flogged but all they see is an L. And they just beat the bottom sides but again all they see is a W. To them that shows improvement. The old flog at WIN who has invested in the club also has no ambition as he is happy to see them make numbers and not make them a force to be a powerhouse. His aim it to cruise along on a shoe string budget. The other Sports mob who missed out on investing had far to much expectation and ambition to become a powerhouse hence why they lost their bid even though it was for much more cash and promise to invest more than WIN.

Fans will be left disappointed again once Hook's contract is extended as if they are not sacking him after this performance what makes you think they will sack him if they come 9th or even 8th and get flogged in game 1 of the finals. Low expectations. His KPI's are much more generous it seems than the players that is for sure.
Sorry but do you boo Santa we flogged Souths beat the Rorters on ANZAC DAY also beat Raiders unlucky the 2nd time we played them the 1 st 2 were short odds 2 make the top 4 if we didnt beat them they would have.

possm

Coach
I don't have any issues with hunt moving on after next year as he will be 33 / 34 it would free up a lot of cash for some much needed forwards.
You're correct! Only the same applies for season 2023. If we have a decent forward pack for Sullivan and Amone to play behind, they will do the job and grow in confidence each game.

I would prefer that this will happen.

BLM01

First Grade
Wouldn't you say Ceraldo is untried also??? or what about the likes of Manly having singled out future untried coaches Ryles/ Young/ Hannay.
So what. We dont need to go down that path as a poor rookie has no support from the football department of any quality
Ciraldo has Gus running the football department and has been talked about for a couple of years but has proven nothing yet. We have Haran running things. big difference
Hannay has been head coach in total over 1 year at Cowboys and Sharks and has shown he has something
Ryles.. I believe when I see that Manly sign him. They should be holding onto Des.
I'd take him or Flanno at the Dragons