What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

BLM01

First Grade
“In good faith”. I think you’ve hit the nail on the head.
It’s not as if we are trying to pull the wool over the NRL’s yes. Cody’s health issues are well documented. And with his remaining contract (I think until 2024) and so much uncertainty whether he will actually play again, it is not unreasonable to medically retire him. This is completely different to the South’s situation where Inglis and Burgess were on huge dollars and lengthy contracts that would have put a huge dent in their salary cap. That was an attempted rort (successful) to circumvent the salary cap.
You cannot medically retire.......and then come back and play NRL.
That is it finito, no I am sorry we made a mistake. The NRL will never register another contract after he signs the stat dec.

So is that what you want for the kid when he may play next year?
I am sure Cody nor the club does not
If a doc says you cant play again in the best interest of him fair enough like Brownie etc..but until then it would be very dangerous and selfish territory you are asking the club to walk into for a young player

St Tangles

Bench
Considering young Cody's situation, couldn't we ask the NRL for a salary cap exemption for this year if we know he will not lace on a boot already.

The NRL is known for making the rules as they go.

The worst they could do is say no and we are still in the same position.

Maybe they could win some browny points with the players re looking after a players health.

For me I'm happy the club is not going down the path of a dodgy medical retirement early it shows me they have Cody's best interest at heart.

BLM01

First Grade
Considering young Cody's situation, couldn't we ask the NRL for a salary cap exemption for this year if we know he will not lace on a boot already.

The NRL is known for making the rules as they go.

The worst they could do is say no and we are still in the same position.

Maybe they could win some browny points with the players re looking after a players health.

For me I'm happy the club is not going down the path of a dodgy medical retirement early it shows me they have Cody's best interest at heart.
To answer your 1st question under NRL rules cap exemptions in Cody's example if not medically retired is no and all clubs would know that. There is no need to ask.
It is a body injury that is keeping out for this year or even illness.
I will use Luke lewis fight with thyroid? cancer as a case in point

possm

Coach
Jury still out on the Amone situation and we will know nothing much until the case hits court and he enters a plea.

Ramsey unless retired on medical grounds remains part of our cap for the duration of his contract in other words treated as an injured player no cap relief.
So why can't management meet with the NRL and sort 2 options, one for guilty and one for not guilty? So when the verdict is known, the path forward has already been decided.

BLM01

First Grade
Same way as the NRL made an exemption for Inglis & Taylan May they surely they can on this occasion as well.
Yes but they just expolited rules where there were grey areas.
May about serving a suspension not quite the same thing and that has set a precedence for important matches
Inglis fininshed his career (or retired and got paid out) then Souths got other exemptions on the cap
You are talking differnt things here as Cody is not at the end of his career

Parko1310

Juniors
Non dragons related but it’s becoming even more of a joke to me lol but the Bulldogs just signed a gun half from the Broncos the schoolboys captain Karl Olaopu and have now according to the Daily Telegraph met with and are close to signing Dominic Young

what the actual f**k
Dragons should be going hard for Dom Young. I know they won’t because they’re convinced our backs are good enough, but they need improvement. Young will be one of the better wingers in the competition in the not too distant future.

Dragon David

First Grade
Non dragons related but it’s becoming even more of a joke to me lol but the Bulldogs just signed a gun half from the Broncos the schoolboys captain Karl Olaopu and have now according to the Daily Telegraph met with and are close to signing Dominic Young

what the actual f**k
I've written up my 2 cents worth of garbage on another thread Big Rig about all the signings by the Dogs. Yes, what the actual f**k? Wins are now expected of them in every game they play and I'm hoping that there will not be too many. Is there a Salary Crap?

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
Yes but they just expolited rules where there were grey areas.
May about serving a suspension not quite the same thing and that has set a precedence for important matches
Inglis fininshed his career (or retired and got paid out) then Souths got other exemptions on the cap
You are talking differnt things here as Cody is not at the end of his career
Well there was never a grey area with Taylan May they just made that up then and there, so maybe the NRL has to look at all incidents on their merits, difference when say a player suffers an ACL or Pec injury they're 99% coming back, what Cody has is totally different and its not like the Dragons are trying to pull a shifty, we should be pushing the NRL to get that exception.

Parko1310

Juniors
Off to Bulldogs
Probably, yes. But there’s nothing stopping the Dragons from swooping in and making a competitive offer and a compelling case for him to come here. I don’t even think they’ll be doing that, yet he fits the profile perfectly of what we need in our backline. I completely understand focusing on forwards signings, but they can’t just ignore their backs all together, especially when a perfect fit, who happens to be a massive talent comes onto the market. I’m baffled.

Old Timer

Coach
So why can't management meet with the NRL and sort 2 options, one for guilty and one for not guilty? So when the verdict is known, the path forward has already been decided
Why is it that you always make these things out as being the clubs fault?

The simple fact is that the NRL’s position is arbitrary so a decision can’t be made or a position agreed upon prior to the case being heard or dismissed.

The stand down rule is a.classic case of arse covering in an attempt to stop the officials of the NRL having their management image tarnished by bad behaviour of stupid individuals.

Our club has its hands tied.

possm

Coach
Well there was never a grey area with Taylan May they just made that up then and there, so maybe the NRL has to look at all incidents on their merits, difference when say a player suffers an ACL or Pec injury they're 99% coming back, what Cody has is totally different and its not like the Dragons are trying to pull a shifty, we should be pushing the NRL to get that exception.
I doubt that Ramsey's on any serious coin and so getting some relief for him won't make much of a difference. In fact, apart from Hunt, I really don't know of any marquee players in our squad.

dungay dragon

Juniors
I doubt that Ramsey's on any serious coin and so getting some relief for him won't make much of a difference. In fact, apart from Hunt, I really don't know of any marquee players in our squad.
We dont have Marquee players Possm .We just have over paid and over rated players , and oops , sorry , over the hill players .....
Being set up beautifully for the incumbent / chosen one Coach for 2024 , where we will have a treasure trove of cash and the only way will be up...from the bottom .......

BLM01

First Grade
I agree there is a bit of policy on the run at times and the NRL have opened a Pandora’s box in regards to when and why they allowed that decision to postpone a suspension for major games based on individual facts to a minor? Crime or bringing the game into disrepute that he was guilty of
They have now set a precedent with this one
It would be nice for a special decision to go our way but….

If we start judging individual stuff on merits to base a decision we are going to have all sorts of deeper problems and backlash going forward in regard to consistency which is already in question

Gareth67

First Grade
I am not sure if this consideration has already been taken into account , however with young Cody his situation is different in as much as the lad has a illness and not a injury .

So this is definitely one instance where the NRL should show some compassion , once fully recovered he will resume his career with the Big Red V , but at least for season 2023 the Dragons should be able to have some form of salary cap relief .

More so when one considers the allowances made by the NRL to some of the top of the ladder clubs .

Last edited: