What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Parko1310

Juniors
My concern with Brown as recruitment manager is that he's just a high profile appointment without looking at his previous recruitment strategies. For example, his recruitment at Newcastle when they had so much cash to spend was pretty poor. He got Ponga which was a tick, especially at the time. Pearce was never going to deliver them much, but was okay. Aside from that, Brown just bought anyone and everyone rather than being patient and Newcastle have gone no where. So is he really the best recruitment candidate? Maybe. But we do need to be cautious there and not just jump onto his appointment as head of recruitment without seeing what his vision is in that space.

Illusion

Bench
My concern with Brown as recruitment manager is that he's just a high profile appointment without looking at his previous recruitment strategies. For example, his recruitment at Newcastle when they had so much cash to spend was pretty poor. He got Ponga which was a tick, especially at the time. Pearce was never going to deliver them much, but was okay. Aside from that, Brown just bought anyone and everyone rather than being patient and Newcastle have gone no where. So is he really the best recruitment candidate? Maybe. But we do need to be cautious there and not just jump onto his appointment as head of recruitment without seeing what his vision is in that space.
Mate you also have to look at who was available at the time , not defending him , but that has to come into it .....

TheRev

Coach
You also have to look at the alternatives guys we could appoint to these positions.. i.e. who's the alternative to Brown that is a sure thing? Browns link back to our club works in our favour on this one.. I just think hes a great warm/friendly personality and a footy brain to have anywhere in our club, esp pathways which is our biggest drama currently... I think players just trust him.

Similarly to the coach selection.. Ryles would be my 3rd choice (he's an unknown to me as he doesnt talk publically), but there are other sizeable risks with Flanno, Hasler, Hornby or Young.. there are no magic bullets in any of these positions.. everything comes with risk which we have to weigh up.

Rocket Rod

Juniors
You also have to look at the alternatives guys we could appoint to these positions.. i.e. who's the alternative to Brown that is a sure thing? Browns link back to our club works in our favour on this one.. I just think hes a great warm/friendly personality and a footy brain to have anywhere in our club, esp pathways which is our biggest drama currently... I think players just trust him.

Similarly to the coach selection.. Ryles would be my 3rd choice (he's an unknown to me as he doesnt talk publically), but there are other sizeable risks with Flanno, Hasler, Hornby or Young.. there are no magic bullets in any of these positions.. everything comes with risk which we have to weigh up.
I’m thinking Ryles has had a great b apprenticeship under Bellyache and the Whinger as they are probably 2 of the best structured sides in the comp plus the recruitment strategies will be useful.
Fitzy is proof. We had Demitriou and let him go , cause mcjetski was doing such a great job. Useless board.!

RedV Resurgence

Juniors
I’m thinking Ryles has had a great b apprenticeship under Bellyache and the Whinger as they are probably 2 of the best structured sides in the comp plus the recruitment strategies will be useful.
Fitzy is proof. We had Demitriou and let him go , cause mcjetski was doing such a great job. Useless board.!

How the hell we let Demitriou go is beyond belief. For some reason the board though McGregor was a better option, meanwhile our reserve grade side won the NSW comp.

I must say that I am warming to the three amigos concept with Richo managing the board, financials, structures etc; Ryles coaching and not having to interact with the board too much and Brown managing our pathways and recruitment.

Lumping all these onto a rookie coach would most likely drown them. Also I've held concerns for Flanno and Hasler just they didn't appear to be as great as Ryles and co.

possm

Coach
What's everyone's opinion of Ryles coming to coach the Dragons?

I'm really not sure. Given our last three appointments, I thought we needed a very experienced coach hence I was preferring Flanagan then Hasler. I didn't what anything to do with our ex players.

If Ryles is selected, I will support him, but I need to see a hard edge from him with regard to the players, actual games plans, better recruitment, and an actual defence plan.
I doubt Flanagan is in the running. If he were, he would have been appointed head coach while he was employed at the Dragons. Instead he moved to Manly and then his son signed with the for next season.

We do not need another rookie coach. Saints aren't a regular club with a regular squad of players. We have a lot of things to do just to make the 8.

Hasler is the man for Saints right now. Maybe there is room for Ryles in a few years when everything is working well.

TheRev

Coach
Ryles having control of the assistants seems a no-brainer, the players I can probably agree with too (rather than a committee). I dont know if Ryles influence would swing down to reserve grade and pathways coaches etc.. maybe.

I don't imagine we will be sitting here in 2-3years begrudging Ryles player selections and favourites, I mean some of that happens with every coach and we cant all agree on selections... but Mary & Hook were something special in that department... and you dont want situations like Liddle re-signing followed by a demotion with MBye getting the gig.. that sounds like coaching & recruitment not being on the same page.

Puff

First Grade
At this point in time, I don't want Ryles and the coach. He is a rookie and we need an experienced coach who knows how to prepare a team for a grand final.
Well that coach would be useless. Because if you sign him to a 3 year deal he won’t be preparing a team for a grand final in that time.

You need a rebuilder. Get a Brian Smith type for 2 years. Then a grand final crafter.

Latest posts