What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

TruSaint

Referee
Rothfield says that -
“I spoke to people over the weekend and Ben Hunt has fully recommitted to the Dragons, he had a couple of meeting with Shane Flanagan.”

...and
He also revealed that superstar halfback Ben Hunt won’t be leaving the Dragons before his contract ends.

Who is now gonna take him on the money he's on and NOT playing 9 ?

All of a sudden he's committed to the Club.

By SOO time in midst of a season he asked for a release. Publicly. Leave, I say. He's not and never will be a leader with us.

Dragon David

First Grade
It’s hard to get a read on what’s going on at the moment. A part of me still thinks that once Hunt goes up to QLD for his holiday he may start agitating again, although the Titans have now spent most of their cash with Tino and Fifita. Who knows.
If he has committed to honouring his contract with the club, I’d be getting him to talk the place up at every opportunity to make up for the damage he caused by publicly wanting a release.
This is what I said several posts ago. He has to undo the damage he has caused and make the Dragons look appealing for other players to join us. At this stage, Hunt may have cruelled our chances of getting some good players in my opinion so he has to unreservedly retract what he was whinging about.

justadragon

Bench
This is what I said several posts ago. He has to undo the damage he has caused and make the Dragons look appealing for other players to join us. At this stage, Hunt may have cruelled our chances of getting some good players in my opinion so he has to unreservedly retract what he was whinging about.
As the captain of the mighty Dragons I will never forgive him for the treatment he has dished out to this club, and the underhand tactics he used to manipulate a release. At virtually one of the lowest points in the Dragons history he decides its a good time to cut and run because he cant see himself winning a premiership with the Dragons. This from a Dragons captain no less, I dont care if he stays and how well he plays in my eyes he will never be forgiven for such a despicable act to a club paying him $1 mill a year. Lets hope the memory of how he treated this club haunts him forever when he retires.

On the weekend on the radio, someone called “Menai Dragon” said that Hunt was off to the Titans , and that Chad Townsend was coming to us in 2024. He said it was all set up already and announced at season end. Has anyone else heard this , or is it just another rumour? It sounds interesting

qld redvee

Juniors
On the weekend on the radio, someone called “Menai Dragon” said that Hunt was off to the Titans , and that Chad Townsend was coming to us in 2024. He said it was all set up already and announced at season end. Has anyone else heard this , or is it just another rumour? It sounds interesting
Well if its true then titans can pay a transfer fee and give us the prop moa and maybe second rower fermor ?

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
If true, (which I doubt), they must have borrowed the salary sombrero from the Roosters as they've just dished out record sums to keep Tino and DF at the club long term.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
On the weekend on the radio, someone called “Menai Dragon” said that Hunt was off to the Titans , and that Chad Townsend was coming to us in 2024. He said it was all set up already and announced at season end. Has anyone else heard this , or is it just another rumour? It sounds interest
As the captain of the mighty Dragons I will never forgive him for the treatment he has dished out to this club, and the underhand tactics he used to manipulate a release. At virtually one of the lowest points in the Dragons history he decides its a good time to cut and run because he cant see himself winning a premiership with the Dragons. This from a Dragons captain no less, I dont care if he stays and how well he plays in my eyes he will never be forgiven for such a despicable act to a club paying him $1 mill a year. Lets hope the memory of how he treated this club haunts him forever when he retires.
An understandable reaction given his recent re-signing with us. There are so many reasons to be angry with this club, it's hard to know where to start. Despite Flanno's on-field "improvements" in high performance staff and such like, I remain bitterly disappointed that the uninspiring and ordinary Ben Haran and Ryan Webb remain in the key front office areas of General Manager of Football and CEO. Anyone who believes those two worthies are capable of attracting the Joey Manus of this world (announced as a Flanno target this morning) are living in la la land.

Old Timer

Coach
Flanno will invest time and energy helping to reserect his son Kyle at the Dragons. This will give a few bright young halves at the Dargons time to develop this skill to first-grade level.

Kyle could play 6, 7, 9, or 14.
Possm
That is wishful thinking indeed

KF is anything but a starting 1st grade player let alone key spine position to build a team around.

If he ends up our half we have been totally stitched up in a stinker of a deal between coach & BOD.

BLM01

First Grade
I tend to agree, I was at a Red V function a couple of weeks ago & Webb addressed the issue and restated Hunt wants to be in a more competative side & has agreed to stay with the club this year. I emphasise "this year", every quote I see talks about Hunt agreening to stay on for the remainder of the season I have not seen or heard Hunt or anyone at the Dragons state that he has agreed to stay till the end of his contract. It has been stated the Dragons wont release him but no commitment till the end of his contract. I am guessing he has agreed to stay until the end of the year to see who Flanno signs if he is not impressed the leaving merry-go-round will start once again.
I dont think it matters know who Flanno signs, he has agreed for this year to help the club and of course no halfback if he walked

By SOO time in midst of a season he asked for a release. Publicly. Leave, I say. He's not and never will be a leader with us.
Why the stuff does Flanagan wanna keep him. Has been in crap form since all this hit the fan. Has and never will be a good organiser or leader so reckon Flanagan needs a rethink and that he can make his son a better half than Hunt ever was.

The Word

Juniors
Flanagan has a whole host of issues to fix with the squad. In fact most positions need looking at either at first team level or squad depth. If I had to guess, I'd say getting Hunt to just concentrate on being our half back for next year gives him one less problem to solve for now. He'll then have another year to solve the big issue of our long term Halves combination. I know a lot of people think Hunt's an arsehole for saying he wanted to leave, but that's just all noise to me. As long as he knuckles down and plays hard next year I'd be ok with him coming back while we fix the other positions.

Dragon David

First Grade
Good on you justa for stating this. Hunt has tarnished the good name of the Dragons and in doing so has made the club look extremely bad. The worst thing is that he isn't just an also ran player, he is the current captain as you say. He will be remembered for this rather than his contribution on the field which has been little.

since77

Juniors
I’m figuring pretty much the only way CHunt can redeem himself is to deliver us a premiership. I’ll forgive him if that happens.

JubileeJeffro

Juniors
This does not surprise me if true. Townsend on half the wage of Hunt, $500k. Other half $500k and Sullivan money $500k to be used for two other forwards and outside backs. Along with BMM, J Hunt and Feagai money
Have to find money to spend on the rebuild and Hunts $900-1M is needed in the market

denis preston

First Grade
This does not surprise me if true. Townsend on half the wage of Hunt, $500k. Other half $500k and Sullivan money $500k to be used for two other forwards and outside backs. Along with BMM, J Hunt and Feagai money
Have to find money to spend on the rebuild and Hunts $900-1M is needed in the market
Sounds like a plan to me ! We really need 2 more forwards & 2 backs for next season alone. More taps on the backs please to secure more money !

Victoire

Juniors
Sounds made up to me. Titans are extending/upgrading everyone especially forwards, seems extremely unlikely they'd have the cap space for Hunt. A swap with the Cowboys, while remote, is probably more believable but they'd also have to offload a forward to open that cap space for Hunt, and most of their forwards are signed until the end of 25.

Hunt is probably sticking around, for better or worse

Slippery Morris

First Grade
If the Buzz rumour is true how coincidental Hunt decides to commit as soon as Bud joins Tigers. Hunt must really dislike Bud or feel threatened somehow. Based on Hunt's recent performance, it does not appear he is looking to stay past this season. He looks like a passenger who will depart Kogarah at 10pm on the 2nd Sept straight after the last game. He will probably have his luggage in the car ready to go.

I hope Chad or Kyle are not in the halves but it may appear so. Saints should chase hard for Trindall at the Sharks. I think he has more promise than those 2. There has to be better halves in the Super League. I would even go Mitchell Pearce ahead of Chad and Kyle.

Looks like Flanno has big ideas trying to get guys like Haas and Manu. Both probably won't come but good to see he is shooting for the stars and not the other teams rejects which is what we are being used to.