What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Rocket Rod

Juniors
Bennett is all about Bennett , sly as they come ......
So True
I loved him when at the dragons and he was always chatty and smiling and he seemed very happy to be coaching the red V. It’s just a pity those f**kwits didn’t extend him and love child during 09 . He was assembling a top side and could have stayed and overseen another dynasty. It would have been a great legacy for him. Since he left he has degressed in personality and is always grumpy

Parko1310

Juniors
please explain why doust and piggott would be loving holding the club back and for what purpose.
They love getting their own way. The issue is, their own way holds the club back. Do I think they'd rather see the club go well on the field? Yes of course. But the way they want it to happen is outdated and simply wrong. For one our GM of football is Ben Haran, who Doust has a relationship with dating back to 2008 or 09. That is why he is in the position he's in, not because of capability. The Dogs' GM is Gus Gould, ours is Ben Haran. That is genuinely laughable to compare. The board as a whole need to realise that is simply not good enough, not in the slightest. Being a good bloke doesn't work in football these days. It can help, but you also need to be able to do the role. Ruthlessness is needed, and Haran needs to be removed immediately. It's not personal, but it's a football club, and things need to be done for the benefit of the club. There's nothing saying Haran can't still be chummy with certain sections of the club after he's removed. It's just business.

This is a professional sporting club, and it looks like an amateur run park side. For a small yet telling example, junior leagues clubs' websites get updated more often than the St George Illawarra one does. Teams playing out of the Sydney Shield have that department better organised than a supposedly professional NRL outfit. If you have a look at any other NRL club's website, it has so much more content, and is so much more professional looking than ours.

Board members like Doust and Piggott need to get with the times, because it's because of people like them in the club that we are so unprofessional. People who can't let go of the past, and hold us back from moving forward because they still believe their old, outdated methods of running things will work. In some departments, we're more than a decade behind other clubs because of this sort of thinking.

Dragon David

First Grade
They love getting their own way. The issue is, their own way holds the club back. Do I think they'd rather see the club go well on the field? Yes of course. But the way they want it to happen is outdated and simply wrong. For one our GM of football is Ben Haran, who Doust has a relationship with dating back to 2008 or 09. That is why he is in the position he's in, not because of capability. The Dogs' GM is Gus Gould, ours is Ben Haran. That is genuinely laughable to compare. The board as a whole need to realise that is simply not good enough, not in the slightest. Being a good bloke doesn't work in football these days. It can help, but you also need to be able to do the role. Ruthlessness is needed, and Haran needs to be removed immediately. It's not personal, but it's a football club, and things need to be done for the benefit of the club. There's nothing saying Haran can't still be chummy with certain sections of the club after he's removed. It's just business.

This is a professional sporting club, and it looks like an amateur run park side. For a small yet telling example, junior leagues clubs' websites get updated more often than the St George Illawarra one does. Teams playing out of the Sydney Shield have that department better organised than a supposedly professional NRL outfit. If you have a look at any other NRL club's website, it has so much more content, and is so much more professional looking than ours.

Board members like Doust and Piggott need to get with the times, because it's because of people like them in the club that we are so unprofessional. People who can't let go of the past, and hold us back from moving forward because they still believe their old, outdated methods of running things will work. In some departments, we're more than a decade behind other clubs because of this sort of thinking.
OK, so Parko1310, if you have worked this out, how come the other members of our friggin' Board are not thinking the same as you and several of us and don't stand up to these guys and tell them straight to get with the times and get rid of the likes of Haran and whoever else isn't capable of doing the hard and harsh work that is needed to run an efficient football Department including the promulgation and dissemination of up to date news on the happenings at the club whatever it may be?

I am sure that if that blasted part owner took more of an interest in his investment, he would make sure that our business operations were running top notch - but unfortunately it would seem that he too lives in the dark ages as far as this club is concerned.

Based on this it appears to me that us fans and followers of the Dragons will not see the club being anywhere near successful because the people who run the business will be there for ever and a day living off the past achievements.

justadragon

Bench
My understanding is that Flanno has been given a bit of free reign, yes we all know that he was hired too late and the BOD is responsible. We have to move past that situation now and see what changes if any will happen. I'm sure in the near future we will all be able to see if the board members are still interfering and holding us back. But for the time being all i can see is Flanno's name been thrown around trying to sign players plus the fact that he has money to burn. For the moment im happy that we are at least in line for some marquee signings in the media, but I seriously , seriously, seriously want our lower grades going deep into finals in 2024, that is where our future is. Remember if there aren't any decent players in the market or they wont come to us, whats the use of signing a has been again, or a gunslinger who is in it for the money and nothing else. We must invest in our juniors and invest bigtime.

Last edited:

Lennyb

Juniors
WIN will win.

Wouldnt be surprised if Gordos journos have dirt on all the St George board members by now.

If not, St George board are using there girlfriends phone and making sure whats in the rubbish bin on bin night.

The sooner the secret takeover takes place, the sooner we can cheer.

Go the Dragons.

Dragon David

First Grade
My understanding is that Flanno has been given a bit of free reign, yes we all know that he was hired too late and the BOD is responsible. We have to move past that situation now and see what changes if any will happen. I'm sure in the near future we will all be able to see if the board members are still interfering and holding us back. But for the time being all i can see is Flanno's name been thrown around trying to sign players plus the fact that he has money to burn. For the moment im happy that we are at least in line for some marquee signings in the media, but I seriously , seriously, seriously want our lower grades going deep into finals in 2024, that is where our future is. Remember if there aren't any decent players in the market or they wont come to us, whats the use of signing a has been again, or a gunslinger who is in it for the money and nothing else. We must invest in our juniors and invest bigtime.
Here, here justa!

RedVee_8

Juniors
WIN will win.

Wouldnt be surprised if Gordos journos have dirt on all the St George board members by now.

If not, St George board are using there girlfriends phone and making sure whats in the rubbish bin on bin night.

The sooner the secret takeover takes place, the sooner we can cheer.

Go the Dragons.
If I understand it correctly, officially it isn’t WIN. The ownership resides in a Gordon family company. It’s got a funny name, Birketu or something like that.

Rod Coil

Juniors
OK, so Parko1310, if you have worked this out, how come the other members of our friggin' Board are not thinking the same as you and several of us and don't stand up to these guys and tell them straight to get with the times and get rid of the likes of Haran and whoever else isn't capable of doing the hard and harsh work that is needed to run an efficient football Department including the promulgation and dissemination of up to date news on the happenings at the club whatever it may be?

I am sure that if that blasted part owner took more of an interest in his investment, he would make sure that our business operations were running top notch - but unfortunately it would seem that he too lives in the dark ages as far as this club is concerned.

Based on this it appears to me that us fans and followers of the Dragons will not see the club being anywhere near successful because the people who run the business will be there for ever and a day living off the past achievements.
Your third paragraph perfectly sums up current status. No surprise to anybody on here.

It’s an absolute boys club. A closed shop. Why would they want disrupt the gravy train to their own personal detriment?