What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Dragon David

First Grade
Was an intertesting little bit in Andrew Webster's column in today's Sydney Morning Herald. He wrote that some time back, Peter Doust put to the board that the Dragons should hire Shane Richardson to be its Director of Football or CEO. Webster went on that this proposal was shot down at board level by those appointed by WIN.
Well if this was the case then we really have problems. How is it for heaven's sake that many of us and others know that guys like Richardson and Gould can be very effective at dealing with people in high level talks and handling delicate types of situations.

Is it any wonder then that we will always amount to a big fat fail every year. I raised the point when Hook was sacked that the opportunity was, at that point available for the club to do what was ever necessary to appoint an astute and experienced head coach and to employ people who can assist that head coach in the best possible meaningful way to get us at the top again and that was getting people like Richardson, Nathan Brown, Andrew Gray etc.

In addition to go out and get a few selective marquee signings for the years ahead to augment our current crop of players and juniors.

Maybe out of those they have been able to get, but to miss out on Richo was indeed to me an opportunity gone really begging.

Last edited:

Gardenia

Juniors
Hi Gardenia

The Dragon's CEO has mentioned in his interview in the "Coach and CEO" Update -

that an announcement will be made soon on the sponsorship.
Thats something Ill take this as my Christmas Present

Things are heating up in this household and I need to go and help Santas elves

Merry Christmas everyone and a safe and happy New year

Please be careful on the roads!!

Warm Regards
Gardenia

Dragon David

First Grade
Thats something Ill take this as my Christmas Present

Things are heating up in this household and I need to go and help Santas elves

Merry Christmas everyone and a safe and happy New year

Please be careful on the roads!!

Warm Regards
Gardenia
All the very best to you and your family and the elves for a wonderful, safe and happy Christmas and a great and healthy New Year Gardenia. Crossing fingers for a successful year for our Dragons.

TheRev

First Grade
Breaking : Reports that the Dragons have signed Warriors halfback Ronald Volkman on a 2 year deal effective immediately
Just to retype from JA, hes got 34 Reserve grade games, 5 NRL, 21.5yrs old, halfback, kicks @70% apparently.. had 2yrs left on his contract, but released immediately... this means they will keep Metcalf their other prodigy... so its I think a good result for all parties.

Definitely know his name.. its a good signing.. sort of a running nuggety 6 but also plays 7... much better than signing a kid whos not ready.. but also I tihnk better than a 35yr old.. as he might have a future here yet.

Basically this fixes the Amone issue, and now its just 1 forward (hooker/prop/2nd rower) by march 1st... and 1 in reserve spot to try and snag something special during 2024.

Last edited:

BIG RIG

Juniors
It’s a great signing to fill the Amone spot , he came from the Roosters system to the Warriors has played 5 NRL games and 1 test for Samoa plus he is only 21 and can play both 6 and 7

We desperately needed depth in the halves and this is good pick up , considering the Warriors have released him early

Dragon David

First Grade
It’s a great signing to fill the Amone spot , he came from the Roosters system to the Warriors has played 5 NRL games and 1 test for Samoa plus he is only 21 and can play both 6 and 7

We desperately needed depth in the halves and this is good pick up , considering the Warriors have released him early

BLN2

Juniors
I would have like to have seen us keep Volkman, more of a game controlling 7 type, which is different to our others halves TMM and Metcalf, who are more secondary halves. But we have a back log with CHT back in our squad 2024, and when he didn't get picked over Dylan Walker when Metcalf and TMM were out last season, that probably showed where he was in the pecking order.

I think he has potential to make it in the NRL, but I think he would need some time with the training wheels on before being a NRL half. Good luck to him.

Love my Dragons

Juniors
I would have like to have seen us keep Volkman, more of a game controlling 7 type, which is different to our others halves TMM and Metcalf, who are more secondary halves. But we have a back log with CHT back in our squad 2024, and when he didn't get picked over Dylan Walker when Metcalf and TMM were out last season, that probably showed where he was in the pecking order.

I think he has potential to make it in the NRL, but I think he would need some time with the training wheels on before being a NRL half. Good luck to him.
Appreciate the feedback on him 👍

BLN2

Juniors
Actually, I'm reading it's a 12 month deal, which could be a loan situation. He signed with us until the end of 25, and with SJ potentially retiring perhaps they want him back.

From DT

St George Illawarra have signed Warriors half Ronald Volkman in an immediate deal.
The two parties agreed to a contract on Friday with Volkman to link up with the Dragons for 2024.
It is understood the deal is just for 12 months. The Dragons needed some cover in the halves, with Talatau Amone set to have his NRL contract deregistered.
Volkman, 21, has played five games since making his debut from the Warriors last year.