What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

jak

Bench
DEFINITELY. SPEED, SPEED, SPEED AND MORE SPEED.

Something that none of our coaches have placed importance on.

A speedy fullback, a speedy winger, a speedy centre, a speedy 5/8th, a speedy half back, a speedy lock, a speedy second rower, a speedy front rower and finally, a speedy hooker.

We would be known as the Speed Team. :)
whatever your drinking dave, I want some

possm

Coach
Flanagan wants Ravalawa and Max Feagai to leave and Bird is most likely leaving too. Lomax and Tamale are gone. That's 5 outside backs less and we are only getting Val Holmes. Surely we go hard for someone like Lehi Hopoate, Bostock or Averillo.
Our priority should be to address the makeup of our spine. Yes, our forwards pack is a major problem, however our spine of Slone, Flannigan, Hunt, and Liddle, is substandard. So I suggest we do some great recruiting to address this situation:

1. Tedesco - good defender, good in attack, and can organise our backline.
6. Flannigan
7. Reynolds - experienced halfback, good goal kicker, and good leader.
9. Cook - Experienced hooker

Much more experienced and capable spine.

Dragon David

First Grade
Our priority should be to address the makeup of our spine. Yes, our forwards pack is a major problem, however our spine of Slone, Flannigan, Hunt, and Liddle, is substandard. So I suggest we do some great recruiting to address this situation:

1. Tedesco - good defender, good in attack, and can organise our backline.
6. Flannigan
7. Reynolds - experienced halfback, good goal kicker, and good leader.
9. Cook - Experienced hooker

Much more experienced and capable spine.
For a start -
* Reynolds is too injury prone and is too old for us. He was absolutely outplayed by Hughes tonight.
*Tedesco, will not go anywhere and stay at the Roosters, even just to twiddle his thumbs.
*Flanagan will stay with us if his Dad stays.
*Cook is coming to us, albeit reluctantly as far as I can sense. Just waiting to be to see him interviewed after the season ends just so I can hear what he has to say to see if he will be a genuinely interested player for us.

Parko1310

Juniors
Think Averillo would be a fantastic signing, in fact he's exactly who I'd be going for. Dolphins just re-signed Bostock, so that is not happening. They've signed Junior Tupou for next year and not everyone can fit into that backline. Averillo may be the one to get pushed out. Would play him at centre, Holmes on the wing. Gives us options too, Averillo can play fullback/wing if need be, can play halves if really needed.

As is stands with Holmes/Suli as our centres next year we have a great pairing, but the wingers are lacking heaps. S Finau is an unknown really, Tuipolotu has been good for us but might be better served as a backup or rotating in and out, not sure how he'd go for a whole season. Corey Allan is handy, but just because he's shiny and new doesn't mean he's that good. He's a backup. That's why I'd shift Holmes and have Averillo at centre. Suddenly the backline is much more solid, well-rounded and quick. Then there is one wing spot that is legitimately up for competition between 3-5 players.

None of our young backs are going to be ready next year (barring maybe a game or two for Buchanan), they'll start to come through more in 2026, which is when we can ease them in by replacing backups like Allan, maybe Tui, maybe Feagai, maybe Finau (who knows who to replace yet) with our juniors. The young guys become the backups who are an injury/suspension away from entering first grade.. and that is how you progress them through.

hook hook

Juniors
Corey Allan is handy, but just because he's shiny and new doesn't mean he's that good. He's a backup.
This! Corey Allan is bog average and has been since 2021 or 2020, whenever he played origin. People are saying on here that he’s fast. He’s probably slower than lomax and that was before an ACL. Once he plays a few games everyone will be calling for his head.

albeit with bird gone we need someone like him that can slot into C/W/FB will probably do a better job as a backup fullback than bird and mat F. But still don’t get your hopes up

hewi

Bench

St George Illawarra great Shaun Timmins is the latest club legend to have his role significantly scaled back following the Dragons’ decision to axe 2010 premiership winner Jamie Soward as their NRLW coach.
Timmins has been told there is not a full-time position for him at the club next season ending a near unbroken 30-year permanent association with the club.
The former NSW and Australian star has been on-staff at the Dragons in a range of roles in recent seasons. This year he coached Illawarra’s under-19 SG Ball team. He was also assistant NSW Cup coach and was a Dragons pathways coach.
Next year he was only offered a part-time job as the SG Ball coach.
“I am forever grateful for what the club has done for me but I am obviously a little bit shattered by this,” Timmins. “I just love the club so much. It’s been a family to me for so long.
“I have nothing but good things to say about the club. I’ll be staying in a part-time capacity but I would have liked to have continued full-time because I enjoyed the job so much. It was very rewarding.”
Shaun Timmins was SG Ball coach for the Illawarra Steelers in 2024. Picture: Kevin Merrigan

Shaun Timmins was SG Ball coach for the Illawarra Steelers in 2024. Picture: Kevin Merrigan
Since his retirement in 2006, Timmins has had a range of different roles at the club including sponsorships, coaching and recruitment.
The decision comes after the Dragons told Soward he would not be coaching their NRLW side once this season ends

Dragon David

First Grade

St George Illawarra great Shaun Timmins is the latest club legend to have his role significantly scaled back following the Dragons’ decision to axe 2010 premiership winner Jamie Soward as their NRLW coach.
Timmins has been told there is not a full-time position for him at the club next season ending a near unbroken 30-year permanent association with the club.
The former NSW and Australian star has been on-staff at the Dragons in a range of roles in recent seasons. This year he coached Illawarra’s under-19 SG Ball team. He was also assistant NSW Cup coach and was a Dragons pathways coach.
Next year he was only offered a part-time job as the SG Ball coach.
“I am forever grateful for what the club has done for me but I am obviously a little bit shattered by this,” Timmins. “I just love the club so much. It’s been a family to me for so long.
“I have nothing but good things to say about the club. I’ll be staying in a part-time capacity but I would have liked to have continued full-time because I enjoyed the job so much. It was very rewarding.”

Since his retirement in 2006, Timmins has had a range of different roles at the club including sponsorships, coaching and recruitment.
The decision comes after the Dragons told Soward he would not be coaching their NRLW side once this season ends
It will be interesting to see what the coaching set up will be right across the Illawarra/St George areas next year. If they are stream lining the coaches, then hopefully they will do something about recruitment and football management positions as well.

Timmins' heart was and will always be for the Dragons. Things unfortunately have to come to an end.

justadragon

Bench
It will be interesting to see what the coaching set up will be right across the Illawarra/St George areas next year. If they are stream lining the coaches, then hopefully they will do something about recruitment and football management positions as well.

Timmins' heart was and will always be for the Dragons. Things unfortunately have to come to an end.
With no Dragons team making finals this year and previous years Dave, something has got to give.

Dragon David

First Grade
The Gutho scenario is far from done
Is he going to be chuffed playing a roving role and more than likely at Lock ??
Interesting...
The RCG contract likely be announced after Sat game
Would seriously have a crack at the Knights Leo Thompson
Still learning his craft but has that mongrel /fear factor in him.
He and Wishart would compliment our squad perfectly for the future
The Knights very keen to keep Leo Thompson and has offered him a two year extension with an increased salary.

Dragon David

First Grade
With no Dragons team making finals this year and previous years Dave, something has got to give.
Exactly. I'm expecting big changes with all personnel. Too bad it won't include major changes to the Board members but if the mob in charge can get the right staff below them to make us more successful well then all good.

dungay dragon

Juniors
The Knights very keen to keep Leo Thompson and has offered him a two year extension with an increased salary.

Quiet news day Dave
Read the entire article
Yep they have met and offered upgrade But the player is still keen to test himself on the open market
Alot of disharmony at the Knights re player movement
Currently on peanuts 300k
very little wiggle room at the knights
can they offer him say 600 650 k per season ?
Word was we have gone cold on Corey and Safiti...Thought RCG was over the line and we were chasing Thompson and Bronco Hetherington to compliment him...
We wouldn't be the only ones chasing Thompson

Latest posts