What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
Yes, Ilias would be worth a punt. I actually still like Blake Taafe, I can still remember him doing a pretty good job at FB for south’s in 2021 on their way to the GF. He was really targeted by the opposition, but seemed to be able to hold his own. He covers the halves and FB. I know we tried signing him before, but I’m not sure if he makes the 17 of that bulldogs side.

I also think we probably do need an experienced halfback for a year or two, I thought that we should have probably tried Townsend. What about Te Maire Martin?
Either way, if we end up with a young half, then I guess we need to invest in a halves coach, someone like Maloney.

SnowDragon

Juniors
Iliad from the bunnies may be a good option. As people say, he was touted as great, then flopped a little, dropped and injured. Not sure how he has come thru this, but the process could really instil drive into the right person (alternatively he crumbles lol). Let’s face it, most halves take time, and he has experienced a lot now, and could blossom In the next year or two. Flanno could chat with him and see where he is at… worth a punt?

RedVee

First Grade
Iliad from the bunnies may be a good option. As people say, he was touted as great, then flopped a little, dropped and injured. Not sure how he has come thru this, but the process could really instil drive into the right person (alternatively he crumbles lol). Let’s face it, most halves take time, and he has experienced a lot now, and could blossom In the next year or two. Flanno could chat with him and see where he is at… worth a punt?
Is Scheinder from the Pennies any chance ?

A mate is asking me but I haven’t a clue

saintmar

Juniors
I heard a rumour that Saints are in for Lachlan Illias but not offering too much coin so will be a cheapy. There is still a lot to work on but Saints are keen if they can get him for 300-400 a season.

How true it is I am not sure but it is from someone who has connections with Braith who is Lachlan's manager.
Finally listening

SnowDragon

Juniors
We are going to buy the one half that was dropped mid match against us that I can recall. I don’t like it.

He just never seemed to impress at the Bunnies despite some big wraps.

Schneider yes
Boyd maybe
Ilias no way

most young players have bad games and are dropped, typical example is the young half from the roosters (Walker), then he comes back either improved or not.
Schneider may be an option
Boyd doesn’t impress me at all.

sammymills

Juniors
I like the thought of Ilias.

didn’t get a fair crack at Souths, he was the “halfback” but never got the chance to actually run the team. Think there’s a good player in their when actually allowed to play the natural halfback role.
This is what people don’t get. Did he actually get to ‘play’ and run the team? I feel like he would’ve been in Cody Walker (a known hog, similar to Ben hunt)’s shadow the whole time.

Murfy

Juniors
Not many young halves are set up too succeed in the nrl right now. With the exceptions being Cleary, Walker etc who both still had some growing pains. Teams preach about bringing their guys along slowly and making sure they are ready but 1 or 2 losing seasons and the player is given up on.

It takes time to be a good half in the nrl. Look at Clifford from the Cowboys for example. All the talent in the world, gets dropped and has to leave the club, played in at knights then overseas. Now back and playing very well at age 26. Trindall similar, bided his time in reserve grade, now 25 and playing very well. Toby Sexton similar again.

Illias was a scapegoat at the Rabbitohs. The guy is still learning how to be a nrl halfback. Would be a great signing under the proviso that people aren’t expecting him to come in and lead us straight to the top 8. He might be 1 or 2 years away from being able to do that

Not many young halves are set up too succeed in the nrl right now. With the exceptions being Cleary, Walker etc who both still had some growing pains. Teams preach about bringing their guys along slowly and making sure they are ready but 1 or 2 losing seasons and the player is given up on.

It takes time to be a good half in the nrl. Look at Clifford from the Cowboys for example. All the talent in the world, gets dropped and has to leave the club, played in at knights then overseas. Now back and playing very well at age 26. Trindall similar, bided his time in reserve grade, now 25 and playing very well. Toby Sexton similar again.

Illias was a scapegoat at the Rabbitohs. The guy is still learning how to be a nrl halfback. Would be a great signing under the proviso that people aren’t expecting him to come in and lead us straight to the top 8. He might be 1 or 2 years away from being able to do that
Not only that, he also doesn`t have to be a world-beater, I look at Fogarty at Canberra, just a good game manager and gets his team in the right positions with his kicking game.
Ideally of course your half-back would have a bit of speed and evasiveness, but we do have Luciano, Su`a, Holmes and Sloan, so even if our half back just gets us in the right positions for those blokes to use their creativity then that is a big start.
If Illias could fulfil that role for us we`d be a fair way ahead of where we are now and I think there must be a good halfback in him somewhere, a good club like Souths wouldn`t have had such high wraps on him for so long if he was a dud.

Parko1310

Juniors
Big no to Illias. People are talking about how we need a half with a good kicking game that can game manage, and then mention Illias as a good potential signing? Have people watched him? He doesn't have a long kicking game, can only kick short distances, and half the time those kicks are out on the full. With his short and stubby frame, that is not changing. Not to mention the guy can't tackle, plus is slow and pedestrian in attack. Souths just stuffed up, Illias is a deadset dud. There is a reason when halfbacks are so highly in demand, that this guy has been on the market for months and there's barely anyone looking at signing him.

Latest posts