What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Run Home

Noname36

First Grade
Why will we lose by a big margin. SBW is their catalyst. Too much hype there. We have the ability to beat them and well.

Just a gut feeling. We sometimes struggle in attack against the really good defensive sides. I just have a feeling we'll get frustrated, do silly things and that will lead to the Chooks getting too much possession and momentum. Apart from SBW and Jennings they don't really have any game breakers that worry me, it's more how we handle their strong defense. Plus I can't remember the last time we beat them in Newcastle.

I hope I'm wrong.

Just a gut feeling. We sometimes struggle in attack against the really good defensive sides. I just have a feeling we'll get frustrated, do silly things and that will lead to the Chooks getting too much possession and momentum. Apart from SBW and Jennings they don't really have any game breakers that worry me, it's more how we handle their strong defense. Plus I can't remember the last time we beat them in Newcastle.

I hope I'm wrong.

All very good points mate. League is a very simple game really isn't it. It is very much about your heart for me. As a team sport there are always ways to shut a side down regardless of their ability. We IMO are the most balanced side in this competition. We are a big side as well. Our weakness is we are a little too structured in attack when we should play what we see. I think we have the best backline in the game right now. If Boyd and Aku find form then this comp is on notice come September if our current form improves. Aku is the key to us getting that extra gear. Our forwards are in great form. Never have i seen Houston run as hard and hit as hard as he did yesterday. He acutally made beelines for Reynolds and a few other blokes and ran over them. Finally the penny has dropped with House. He is a big unit. Time he played that way. If Aku regains his scoring touch then we are going to hurt sides. Roosters are no exception.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
All very good points mate. League is a very simple game really isn't it. It is very much about your heart for me. As a team sport there are always ways to shut a side down regardless of their ability. We IMO are the most balanced side in this competition. We are a big side as well. Our weakness is we are a little too structured in attack when we should play what we see. I think we have the best backline in the game right now. If Boyd and Aku find form then this comp is on notice come September if our current form improves. Aku is the key to us getting that extra gear. Our forwards are in great form. Never have i seen Houston run as hard and hit as hard as he did yesterday. He acutally made beelines for Reynolds and a few other blokes and ran over them. Finally the penny has dropped with House. He is a big unit. Time he played that way. If Aku regains his scoring touch then we are going to hurt sides. Roosters are no exception.

Houston is a tall unit. I wouldn't really class him as big though. At the start of last year I saw him at Cardiff doing a BBQ for a business and the bloke cooking the snags had much bigger arms. I saw House interviewed a week ago and he said that he was dropped so he could put some muscle on as he wasn't creating enough impact.

Yosh

Coach
He has a good set play going on with Roberts where he hits the line, spins and does a run around. I hope we keep using it because it actually makes House effective.

ljackson83

Juniors

I hope I'm wrong.

I think the chooks are very beatable due to the fact they cant build pressure - repeat sets of six. If we can scramble well we only have to defend them for 6 tackles...

It will all depend on our defence and kicking game

Zoidberg

First Grade
Remember when Kennedy and Simpson used to run out wide at the opposition halves, that's what we don't do much anymore. We don't have to run over them, just do it a few times, get their centre in to help them next time so we can cut out our forwards and go straight to our centres.

slotmachine

First Grade
Goosters will murder us, we'll be lucky to score 10 points.

Don't need that win to make the finals though.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Remember when Kennedy and Simpson used to run out wide at the opposition halves, that's what we don't do much anymore. We don't have to run over them, just do it a few times, get their centre in to help them next time so we can cut out our forwards and go straight to our centres.

This ^

Noname36

First Grade

I certainly agree that we're a well balanced side and when we put in we can match it with anyone. I just get worried with some games whether we're going to play to our potential or not. I actually prefer our "structured" attack to what we served up yesterday. In attack on the Doggies line we were throwing some trick passes, but like Freddy pointed out, unless Mullo was involved we didnt have much structure to our plays and they weren't very effective. If we're going to throw up those passes we at least need to make sure players are pushing up in support which they weren't. I'd like to see us develop a good combination of structured and off the cuff type footy. We do have the players to handled it bar Thr backrow IMO.

It was magical having those 2 running off laser guided andrew johns bullets.. Unfortunately that combination is a once in a lifetime occurence.

Apey

Staff member
Surely we can muster up 4+ wins from the remaining games.

19 Panthers (A)
20 Roosters (H)
21 Broncos (H)
22 Sharks (A)
23 Storm (H)
24 Cowboys (A)
25 Broncos (A)
26 Eels (H)

If the Cowboys and Broncos continue to dish up their shit of late I reckon we're a reasonable chance of going 5 from 8.

Card Shark

Immortal
Surely we can muster up 4+ wins from the remaining games.

19 Panthers (A)
20 Roosters (H)
21 Broncos (H)
22 Sharks (A)
23 Storm (H)
24 Cowboys (A)
25 Broncos (A)
26 Eels (H)

If the Cowboys and Broncos continue to dish up their shit of late I reckon we're a reasonable chance of going 5 from 8.

With your good for / against, 4 from 8 will get you there in 8th. 5/8 & you probably 5th, it's that tight.

Trouble with the cowboys game is it's up there. Certain 2 points otherwise. Hope you can beat the broncos twice.

RABK

Referee

Ahh a prime, wide running Steve Simpson.

My friend Kev told me when he asked Shane Webcke if he ever avoided to run or tackle someone he replied he never avoided anyone but mentioned that Steve Simpson felt like he had rocks for bones and always left corks and bruises in collisions. So yeh imagine been a halfback targeted by Steve back in 00-03. And having Joey be the one to make sure he constantly got you one on one.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
If we want to make some sort of late run for a possible top four spot, we simply must win tomorrow IMO.

Jono078

Referee
Obviously JD, without a doubt.

I don't see top 4 happening, but 5th would be pretty good.

Sacrolishes

Juniors
4th is Possible, but honestly if we just play constantly strong and keep in front of chasing pack 5-6th is ours. Can't wait for tomorrow, hoping the lads come out firing after a refreshing week off.

Latest posts