What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The salary cap is not working.

it's not and hasn't been for the past 10 years.
Brisbane haven't been thru a down cycle they keep making the finals, Dragons same. Yet some other clubs struggle every year like Canberra and Cronulla and recently Nth Qld.
The talent is not spread out it's all in Brisbane , St George-Illawarra and Melbourne ( we now know why).

lockyrulz

Juniors
Tough f**king luck.

All you Sydneycentric dickheads wont hear of your precious suburban club playing in anything but the national comp, so thems the breaks champ, deal with it.

Signing Hannant and Inglis whilst sitting in the top 8 is one hell of a down cycle. Must be comforting to know your club will always be looked after rightly, after all we can't have no finals footy in Brisbane!

lockyrulz

Juniors
Grab a tissue sweetheart.

Just because my club wasn't dumb enough to persist with a tard like Finch at half, a numb nut like Stuart as coach, only to replace him with an imbecile like Fittler, and pay overs for nobodies like Mason.

We do well because we are a one team town and are managed by people with half a brain. Your tears are funny though, keep them coming :lol:

Loudstrat

Coach
The same one team town that cannot sustain another? In fact, cannot sustain ONE without News Ltd propping them up ffs??????

user_nat

Coach
Loudstrat said:
The same one team town that cannot sustain another? In fact, cannot sustain ONE without News Ltd propping them up ffs??????

News props up Brisbane?
You would think they would mention that in their yearly financial statements, unless you mean the grant from the NRL.. Which everyone gets. Infact since news is the major shareholder in the club, the Broncos pay them every year ( and me whilst they are at it).

Last edited:

lockyrulz

Juniors

Of course it could sustain another team. But why the hell would it? A team is needed in Logan/Ipswich in the next 10 years as this area is tipped for heavy growth. Sticking some arbitrary second brisbane team in now is a stupid idea strategically.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Brisbane haven't been thru a down cycle they keep making the finals, Dragons same. Yet some other clubs struggle every year like Canberra and Cronulla and recently Nth Qld.
The talent is not spread out it's all in Brisbane , St George-Illawarra and Melbourne ( we now know why).
:lol: at putting a nuffy team like Illasox on the same level as the Broncos and Melbourne…

I think the people of Brisbane could easily support two NRL teams playing out of Lang Park. Whether or not self-interested parties will let that happen is another thing entirely.

Eels Dude

Coach
Worst thread ever. The salary cap has two purposes. 1) To spread the talent, but more importantly 2) To stop clubs overspending and going broke.

It's not always about the money for players, and clubs like the Broncos will be able to hold on to players for a lesser amount simply because the guys don't want to relocate. Dragons produce a lot of juniors and hence retain a lot of them. And for the record our club, Parramatta have been equally fortunate in that regard so I don't get your whingeing.

Clubs like Sharks and Raiders have to pay overs to recruit blokes unfortunately, but that's a cycle itself. It's not the salary caps fault.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
The talent is not spread out it's all in Brisbane , St George-Illawarra andMelbourne ( we now know why).

Good management & vision. Doesn't guarante a thing though.

Don't f**king cry just because your football department has made some howlers with their retention and recruitment decisions.

Wayne Bennetts influence permeates through all clubs though.

Daniel Anderson. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

badav

Bench

A salary cap does not mean the football clubs are also run equally.

The salary cap is one piece of the pie in running a club. There are also many people employed by the football club outside of players (and hence the salary cap) that affect the clubs direction. Cronulla don't even have enough money to employ staff in all key front office positions. They don't even have CEO.

Does anyone think a salary cap will fix this? If so you're dreaming.

If you went through the Brisbane side this year and compared it to Parra's I reckon many people would say Parra have the better team on paper, based on rep games etc. Brisbane only have Lockyer, Folau, Thaiday and Hodges who are Test standard players and have lost the likes of Hannant, Hunt, Boyd, Civoniceva, Taylor in recent years. The rest are kids mostly or relative nuffies like the front row. Parra have Hayne, Moi Moi, Cayless, Hindmarsh, Inu and then went and paid a heap for Poore. I don't think you can say they are missing out on top players. They made the GF last year FFS, with almost the same squad.

And Brisbane have gone through some leaner years anyway, like when they have finished around 7th or 8th on the ladder. And you have to think that the champion nature of Lockyer was the only thing keeping them in the hunt in those seasons too. In fact take him out this year and they'd be out of the eight for sure.

You can complain about the salary cap for several reasons but saying it hasn't evened out the playing field isn't one of them. Brisbane would have most of the Qld side if they were able to spend what they like.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Dragons always in the finals? :?

They've had the odd down year here and there and their side isn't as chock-full of stars as some others. In fact many call the players from that club hacks and lacking in ability... so which is it?

gUt

Coach
It's refreshing to see fans of other clubs not blindly bash the Broncos no matter what. It's one thing to hate on a team for footy reasons, another to hate a club for being proven cheats. But the rivers of tears about the Inglis signing is pure jealousy and the whingers prove themselves to be incapable of anything resembling objective reasoning.

One day the Broncos may indeed be shown to be cheats or have cheated the cap in past seasons. If that day comes, depending on the circumstances I'd reconsider my allegiance. Most Broncos fans who've commented about this have stated same. Until then I'll continue to believe that Brisbane is using its extremely fortunate position as a major Australian city's only team to show the rest of the clubs what a successful club looks like. And I'll continue to gain nourishment and great satisfaction from the bitter words and general hate of my team.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
It's refreshing to see fans of other clubs not blindly bash the Broncos no matter what. It's one thing to hate on a team for footy reasons, another to hate a club for being proven cheats. But the rivers of tears about the Inglis signing is pure jealousy and the whingers prove themselves to be incapable of anything resembling objective reasoning.

One day the Broncos may indeed be shown to be cheats or have cheated the cap in past seasons. If that day comes, depending on the circumstances I'd reconsider my allegiance. Most Broncos fans who've commented about this have stated same. Until then I'll continue to believe that Brisbane is using its extremely fortunate position as a major Australian city's only team to show the rest of the clubs what a successful club looks like. And I'll continue to gain nourishment and great satisfaction from the bitter words and general hate of my team.

FMD, aren't you the one that started a thread just to vent your hate for Parra and Jarryd Hayne?

Latest posts