What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The sanctity of the jersey

Nuke

Staff member
I agree. I'd love to buy the newly released polyester Aussie jersey as I could wear it in the warmer months and it'd be cooler than the heavier cotton ones. However, I'm not a fan of the big VB logo plonked on the front, so I won't buy one.

I'm not a fan of the NSW or QLD jerseys having their sponsor's logos on the front of their jerseys either.

The way I understood the NRL jersey guidelines (and I may be wrong), is that main jerseys had to be around for a minumum of 3 years, and alternate jerseys for a minimum of 2 years.

If it was up to me, I would have all teams using their main jerseys all games unless it's going to clash with the home team's main jersey. In the case of the merger teams, I would allow St.George-Illawarra to wear their 'Illawarra' jersey in Wollongong and the Red V jersey at Kogarah, and Wests to wear their mostly black & white jersey at Campbelltown, and their mostly black and orange jersey at Leichhardt.

Also if it was up to me, I'd have teams basically having one design for LONG periods of time as opposed to just 3 years. Jersey sponsors' logos should be integrated into the jerseys more instead of plastered on. Even if it means the logo changes colour to fit in. I'll use Newcastle's sponsor as an example. Coal & Allied's logo is deep red and black on a white background. However, on Newcastle's main jersey it is white with no background. The alternate jersey has the red and black logo, but it's sitting the silver background of the jersey, so it's still integrated.

I wouldn't go the route mentioned here about only front and lower-back sponsors with players names on the upper-back. Personally, I've never had a problem with the upper-back or sleeve sponsors (although the sleeve ones are seemingly to me getting bigger ... but maybe it's because the sleeves are shorter and tighter than they used to be). I would be happy to get rid of the lower-back sponsor though. I loved it a few years ago when Newcastle and Parramatta had 'Newcastle' & 'Parramatta' written on the lower-back of their jerseys.

nqcowboy87

Bench
if you think the sponsoring on the nrl jerseys are bad you should take a look at the atherton roosters jersey they have sponsorson their collars.

It's actually three years - and if I recall correctly it was the Vee 2003-4-5, then the arch 2006-7-8.

what about the tigers they had a their tiger stripes strip for only two years 03-04

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
As I understand it those rules came in around the 2003-04 time frame.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
if you think the sponsoring on the nrl jerseys are bad you should take a look at the atherton roosters jersey they have sponsorson their collars

Could be worse, check out this ice hockey shirt.

eurojersey.jpg

Last edited:

Parra

Referee
Clubs devalue their own brand by changing jerseys & by having too many alternate strips & by plastering the jersey with too many other brands.

VictoryFC

Bench
I've always liked the one single sponsor on the front of the shirt on soccer tops. It's normally clean cut and actually enhances the look of the shirt (as opposed to one with no sponsor). But really, it comes down to what you get out of that sponsorship. If you need to sell more space on a jersey to draw in more money, then so be it. In saying that, heritage tops this weekend have looked mint for the most part, but thats more attributed to the design of the shirt rather than the sponsors on it.

Parra

Referee
In saying that, heritage tops this weekend have looked mint for the most part, but thats more attributed to the design of the shirt rather than the sponsors on it.

It should also be attributed to what the heritage jersey represents - they remind fans of an era, of a team, of a different time. Feelings and memories are associated with that jersey. This is a 'brand'.

Can you imagine that todays jerseys will ever have that 'heritage' value. Will the jersey remind fans of a Grand Final win? Or a particular player or group of players? Or will the mess of lightning bolts, ever changing sponsors and layouts just leave you cold? Leave you thinking "well that was my team's jersey from some time between 1998 and 201x - I think"?

Bengal

Juniors
There should be strict rules in place for clubs regarding jerseys - some of which should be imo:

* Sponsor label on the front area and on the rear lower back ONLY
* Names re-introduced onto players jerseys
* Away jerseys only used when a clash of colours exists between both teams
* Away jerseys staying true to the clubs colours (the Broncos one is a disgrace)
* Jersey designs stay in place for a significant period of time (eg 4 years)

I know some will disagree with the points above but I am sure everyone could agree that we need to get some dignity back into our jersey
Agree with the thrust of your post. Can live with all your points bar the last. As a Warriors supporter, I couldn't live with the butt ugliest set of jerseys I've ever seen in my thirty odd years of following this comp. The moo moo cow and killer whale looks do nothing for me. Has to be some leeway for quick change, perhaps to a previous design or classic oldie design if a new one doesn't work out.

Clubs in the last few years have made some great choices in going back to more traditional or simplified designs.
Agreed.

Nuke

Staff member
Perhaps in this day and age, if teams are to have a new jersey in the following season, an online poll of, say, 5 different designs on the club's website for the fans to choose could be an option. To avoid fans of other clubs coming in and choosing the worst design, perhaps the members or season ticket holders of the club could be given an exclusive password that allows them to access this poll and no-one else can vote. Would make members & ticket holders have more of a say in the club's direction (albeit only an aesthetics one) and make them feel more important and part of the club.

Just a thought.

KHunt

Juniors
Agreed with many points in this thread. It's small things like the issue of jerseys that cheapen the game. Away jerseys are pointless. Are we too stupid to realise who the away team is? Broncos wearing the white jersey in the 2006 GF was a disgrace.

Does anyone know if having more sponsors on a jersey would make the cost of buying it for the fan higher? I saw a 1980 Queensland state of origin jersey for $50 and a current one for $160.

hellteam

First Grade
Like your ideas, although I don't mind jersey changes now and then.

Got another suggestion for the jerseys..... the same font for numbers should be used throughout all the teams in the league. Makes the Premier League jerseys look very classy with the same font used on every design.

mik01

Juniors
I accept that clubs need the $$, so sponsor ads on jerseys must stay.

but IMO its a disgrace to have advertising on the national jersey.
its visually disgusting, and cheapens the jersey.

plus - VB is a sh*t beer..

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Perhaps in this day and age, if teams are to have a new jersey in the following season, an online poll of, say, 5 different designs on the club's website for the fans to choose could be an option. To avoid fans of other clubs coming in and choosing the worst design, perhaps the members or season ticket holders of the club could be given an exclusive password that allows them to access this poll and no-one else can vote. Would make members & ticket holders have more of a say in the club's direction (albeit only an aesthetics one) and make them feel more important and part of the club.

Just a thought.

That's exactly how voting for our logo and I think Canberra 2010 away strip was done.

Nuke

Staff member
It's a shame all the Canberra alternate jersey designs I've seen (somewhere in these forums - probably in this thread) are dead-set shockers.

I don't believe there is anything wrong with their current alternate jersey. I think it's the best of theirs that I have seen. I don't think I've heard of anyone disliking it also.
This is kind of my point with jerseys changing far too much, if it ain't broke, why fix it. If the jerseys look great and are loved, then why change them?

(I know the reason is to get the fans to fork out money more often to buy the jerseys, but I suppose it was more of a rhetorical question).

Perth Red

Post Whore
Tackeist has to be the advertising that is creeping onto the coaches shirt collars! Whatever next????

That would make a nice WA Reds shirt mightybears!

mightybears

Bench
Tackeist has to be the advertising that is creeping onto the coaches shirt collars! Whatever next????

That would make a nice WA Reds shirt mightybears!

Perth Red, if all goes pear shaped re our 1st choice individual expansion want, i'm sure a Perth Bears in Red n Black will do just nicely!

bennoonthehill

Juniors

Just a thought.

I love that this needs to be a consideration. Footy fans are awesome.

bobmar28

Bench
A topic that has been on my mind for some time now.

Jerseys are being treated less like symbols of our clubs and more like media billboards, although I agree in the current climate that clubs are trying to get as much $$$ as possible surely it reflects on our games heart and spirit.

In an age when we are trying to capture the hearts and imaginations of new fans is a jersey that is nothing more than a corporate advert going to attract anyone - judging a book by its cover is one of the most basic human instincts. In some cases teams have 7 advertising patches on their playing strips

Patriotism should be installed in our jersey, if you look to the American sporting landscape a jersey is held with the same regard as the national flag...would you cop someone putting a sponsor on our flag?

There should be strict rules in place for clubs regarding jerseys - some of which should be imo:

* Sponsor label on the front area and on the rear lower back ONLY
* Names re-introduced onto players jerseys
* Away jerseys only used when a clash of colours exists between both teams
* Away jerseys staying true to the clubs colours (the Broncos one is a disgrace)
* Jersey designs stay in place for a significant period of time (eg 4 years)

I know some will disagree with the points above but I am sure everyone could agree that we need to get some dignity back into our jersey

I agree with all that. One thing that bothers me the most is the constant changing of the colour of the jersey at some clubs.

Latest posts