What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The sanctity of the jersey

bobmar28

Bench
To be fair, clubs like St George Illawarra, the Bulldogs, Roosters, Rabbitohs and Melbourne have made very little in the way of changes to their jerseys over the last 10 or more years.

And they would be the most prized jerseys to own.

bobmar28

Bench
Tackeist has to be the advertising that is creeping onto the coaches shirt collars! Whatever next????

That would make a nice WA Reds shirt mightybears!

Coaches should dump the business suits and wear team jackets (with sponsors logo).

Perth Red

Post Whore
Jerseys make money, the clubs need money. As long as the clubs colours and basic design remains the same then i don't have problems with changing every year, i do have an issue with charging $150 for some piece of polyester poorly made top that cost about $15 to produce though!

S.R.

Juniors
Jerseys make money, the clubs need money. As long as the clubs colours and basic design remains the same then i don't have problems with changing every year, i do have an issue with charging $150 for some piece of polyester poorly made top that cost about $15 to produce though!

But that's how they make the money champ!!!!!

"HOME" jerseys shouldn't change much. Ever.

If clubs want to stuff around with a jersey, the "ALTERNATE" jerseys are the ones to go nuts on.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I don't mind paying $150 for a decent quality garment but it is taking the pesh for some of the poor jerseys they put out.

I am a jersey collector (have about 25) so I don't mind them changing and I also understand that it is a vital source of revenue for clubs.

Agree the away jerseys should be more imaginative. My SL club put out a very unusual one this year and they have shifted thousands of them.

Binga

Juniors
Yep I agree, the home jersey shoud be a traditional style jersey where the design shouldn't change to to much. Scrap the whole idea of an away jersey and just use an alternative jersey only if the teams colours might clash. Another thing that i dislike about modern jersey is the death of the collar. I can't stand these t-shirt style jerseys. Bring back the collar or the V-Neck. As for sponsorship, well it's a necessary evil and has to be there, but i do like the idea of getting rid of the lower back sponosr and having players names put there instead.

Another little thing i would do to jerseys is I would get embroided on the front of the jersey near the nrl logo, the players no. for the club (e.g 633 meaning 633 player to play for that club).

Nuke

Staff member
For supporters jerseys or for the actual players jerseys?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Wouldn't work with players jerseys unless we went with individual player numberin again and ditched 1-13. Players jerseys change too often with injury and positional changes for the idea to take effect.

ozjet1

yep, i reckon all the corporate logos/advertisers on NRL jerseys have reached the ridiculous stage. besides, i cant make out most of them anyway. they all detract from each other.

and talking about ridiculous, the alternate strips situation in the NRL just that too. Brisbane wore their alternate on friday night and the shorts and socks were virtually the same as Melbourne's. surely the NRL can get a grip on the issue and ensure alternates only be worn if the two match-day strips are similar. afterall, the ultimate purpose of the match-day uni's should be to 'clearly and effectively differentiate the two teams'.

eddiesmith

Juniors
I'd add to this that there needs to be rules so that the sponsor fits into the design of the jersey. Too many jerseys are ruined by some stupid patch that looks like someone's mum ironed it on. They should look at how English Premier League has the sponsors blended in to the colours/design of the shirt.

Thats what I like about the Sharks jerseys, it blends in well, the heritage one not as much but thats a 1 off, but then again maybe the current jerseys were designed to blend it in, be interesting if a new sponsor works as well

Binga

Juniors
Wouldn't work with players jerseys unless we went with individual player numberin again and ditched 1-13. Players jerseys change too often with injury and positional changes for the idea to take effect.
It wouldn't be any different to putting players names on the back of jerseys. But anyway, a way this could be done is that at the start of every season the coach picks he's full strength team from 1 - 17. These players then keep these same numbers for the whole year, with additional players that are used throughout the season would then wear the next number up on their jerseys. Players numbers are becoming less relevant in todays game, and in any given game you will find many players playing in positions that doesn't represent the numbers on their backs. So i say why can't we use this as a marketing opportunity and personalize players jerseys.

Another little thing is at the start of the season i bought my 8 yr old nephew a Parramatta jersey so i thought i'd get a number put on the back like i used to when i was a youngster. So i asked him what players number he wanted and he replied Jarrayd Haynes. So at that stage he was playing 5/8 so i got number 6 for him. Now all the sudden he is a Daniel Mortimer fan:D

Last edited:

ozjet1

It wouldn't be any different to putting players names on the back of jerseys. But anyway, a way this could be done is that at the start of every season the coach picks he's full strength team from 1 - 17. These players then keep these same numbers for the whole year, with additional players that are used throughout the season would then wear the next number up on their jerseys. Players numbers are becoming less relevant in todays game, and in any given game you will find many players playing in positions that doesn't represent the numbers on their backs. So i say why can't we use this as a marketing opportunity and personalize players jerseys.

Another little thing is at the start of the season i bought my 8 yr old nephew a Parramatta jersey so i thought i'd get a number put on the back like i used to when i was a youngster. So i asked him what players number he wanted and he replied Jarrayd Haynes. So at that stage he was playing 5/8 so i got number 6 for him. Now all the sudden he is a Daniel Mortimer fan:D

you'd think someone couldve let the merkins at the NRL know of the positive impact it will have on club merchandising revenue. the game needs to welcome in the 21st century and the revenue potential from allocating a squad number to players in their career at a club. the leagues' club drunk and gambling addict has no future in football.

meh, i wouldnt get one anyway if it meant i was to become a mobile advertising billboard. i requested to buy a souffs jersey without the nab/delonghi/nrl telstra logo, etc, sh*t at the george st redfern souffs shop last year. couldnt be done due to licensing. i said thank you and see yah.

Last edited:

Flapper

First Grade
The sponsors are fine by me, if i'm wearing a jersey people don't start comments about my love of Proton, they talk to me about the Tigers.

Besides, the sponsorless jerseys look like a gaping chasm of club poverty. It looks bad for clubs to have sponsorless jerseys.

Tyler Durden

Juniors
all sponsors names should be attached by velcro.

when your sleeve sponsor changes or maybe the lower back sponsor goes broke, you can buy the new sponsors logo for lets say $20...rip off the old sponsor and plonk on the new sponsor on your jersey.

Knightmare

Coach
I think the NRL should rule that advertising backgrounds must stay the same colour on home and away jerseys. The current Broncos home one has WOW plastered all over it with a white background, but on their white away jesey suddenly the background is bright red. This is marketing at its' most crass, ditto the way the white background to the Medibank logos on the Storm jersey mysteriously turn black all of a sudden when they wear their white away jersey.

The 'cut and paste' logos look is not an attractive one.

KHunt

Juniors
I'd buy a current jersey but they're sh*t.

The retro ones are better and cheaper.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I think the NRL should rule that advertising backgrounds must stay the same colour on home and away jerseys. The current Broncos home one has WOW plastered all over it with a white background, but on their white away jesey suddenly the background is bright red. This is marketing at its' most crass, ditto the way the white background to the Medibank logos on the Storm jersey mysteriously turn black all of a sudden when they wear their white away jersey.

The 'cut and paste' logos look is not an attractive one.
I think you mean red for Medibank on the away jersey... but regardless they're gone now. The big blue ME Bank logo takes it's place.

Latest posts