What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The search for a 2012 5/8 thread

caylo

Bench
Why does he need to be the perfect five-eighth?

You ever heard of the salary cap? Next year we'll have a highly paid fullback and halfback. For the money he's on Mortimer only needs to be average and he's already halfway there. :lol:

I think you missed the point, he has no strength, confidence, vision, skill or speed. At the moment mortimer has nothing required of a 5-8, I'm not asking him to be perfect but of the 5 catergories I mentioned it would be nice if he could excel in 2-3 of them rather then zero.

I think if there was an option outside of Mortimer and Robson I doubt either of them would be in first grade today.

it will be interesting to see how morts goes with sandow beside him hopefully he will take a lot of pressure off his shoulders and morts can back him up instead of trying to do it all himself

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I think you missed the point, he has no strength, confidence, vision, skill or speed.

How can you say he's got none of those qualities, every NRL player has all of them to an extent.

Mortimer has his good qualities, and currently has a couple of linebreak assists (up there with some much higher paid playmakers) and a handful of try assists.

He's got good instincts, he works hard in attack and defence and he does all the basics right even if he's not flashy. He's strong for his size and will end up very strong when he fills out. He's also super tough and he puts his body on the line. He's also got nearly 2 seasons of first grade experience under his belt.

He'll never play rep footy but he's already a solid first grader. With some better cattle around him, including Sandow, he'll go just fine.

Kearney might not retain him at the end of his contract but I'm certain he'll still be here until then - probably starting every game in first grade.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
Now that Osama is dead, he can come back from Pakistan.

How can you say he's got none of those qualities, every NRL player has all of them to an extent.

Mortimer has his good qualities, and currently has a couple of linebreak assists (up there with some much higher paid playmakers) and a handful of try assists.

He's got good instincts, he works hard in attack and defence and he does all the basics right even if he's not flashy. He's strong for his size and will end up very strong when he fills out. He's also super tough and he puts his body on the line. He's also got nearly 2 seasons of first grade experience under his belt.

He'll never play rep footy but he's already a solid first grader. With some better cattle around him, including Sandow, he'll go just fine.

Kearney might not retain him at the end of his contract but I'm certain he'll still be here until then - probably starting every game in first grade.

Is that you daddy (Peter Mortimer)?

caylo

Bench

You are right, every person has those qualities to some extent. More importantly Mortimer in not suffient or even lose to suffient in any of these catergories.

Mortz may be strong for his size, but he is not strong enough for the NRL and he may try hard in defence but his defence is not good enough. Mortz has improved his ball playing skills but they are still (very) sub par, he may have improved his kicking game but it is still sub par.

At the end of the day Mortimer best asset was his support play and running game both of which he is no longer doing. Everything he does looks structured and rehurst because his instincts arn't good enough and this makes his game very predictable and easy to defend.

Mortimer genuinly offers nothing to the team, atleast Robson can defend although his kicking and passing game is worse then Mortz.

Bazal

Post Whore
Seriously....can we have a Nutcase thread? Like the Swamp, but just for Caspers ridiculous (and derailing) conspiracy rubbish...

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yeah f**k off with it Casper. Nobody runs the world; nobody even runs America.

The world is chaos and whatever happens, happens because several billion people were all trying to do the best for themselves. That's all.

cgee221

Juniors
Yeah f**k off with it Casper. Nobody runs the world; nobody even runs America.

The world is chaos and whatever happens, happens because several billion people were all trying to do the best for themselves. That's all.

images

LadyGaga-PokerFace.jpg

03.jpg

:sarcasm:

Last edited:

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
While those forumites are still jerking off over "official" mainstream non-sense news is there any more news on the acquisition of a 6 or a 5 or a 4 or a 3 or a 2 or a 1 or a 13, or a 12 or another 11?

Last edited:

Wise Old Eel

Juniors

Can't agree with your assessment on Mortimer. He does have a good work ethic (for which he should be commended) and a good surname but that's about it, really. Had his name been Daniel Smith, would we even still be talking about him???

Tom Humble has been screwed in this whole situation. I know there's something going on this year as to why he is ineligible - bla bla bla - but he should have been given a chance last year after what Mortimer dished up. Humble has talent, vision, speed and natural ability. Mortimer just tries hard.

Not sure who said it in a previous post but I agreed with them when I read it. If I had to choose between Mortimer and Robson, Robbo would get my vote easily. I know there are those who don't agree. That's fair enough. We are all entitled to our opinion. That's what a forum is for.

WOE

Gronk

Staff member
Can't agree with your assessment on Mortimer. He does have a good work ethic (for which he should be commended) and a good surname but that's about it, really. Had his name been Daniel Smith, would we even still be talking about him???

Tom Humble has been screwed in this whole situation. I know there's something going on this year as to why he is ineligible - bla bla bla - but he should have been given a chance last year after what Mortimer dished up. Humble has talent, vision, speed and natural ability. Mortimer just tries hard.

Not sure who said it in a previous post but I agreed with them when I read it. If I had to choose between Mortimer and Robson, Robbo would get my vote easily. I know there are those who don't agree. That's fair enough. We are all entitled to our opinion. That's what a forum is for.

WOE

Agree. Most disappointing for me is that Morts has found himself with a lose ball or in a hole this year and has zero pace to capitalize on the situation. He is dead slow, which is unforgivable for a 5/8.

Other than tenacity, his bag of tricks is empty.

parra pete

Referee

Tom Humble has been screwed in this whole situation. I know there's something going on this[/B] year as to why he is ineligible - bla bla bla - but he should have been given a chance last year after what Mortimer dished up. Humble has talent, vision, speed and natural ability. Mortimer just tries hard.

WOE

He could have been related to Jason and Darren...

Just this year?

84 Baby

Referee

WOE
I agree. Humble has a heap more speed

Freak2

Juniors
If speed is what we need at 5/8 we have a kid that can run the 100 in under 12 and is probably the fastest current NRL player.

Just a thought.....:BDH: