What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The search for a 2012 5/8 thread

ParraFan09

Juniors
3 tries and no linebreak assists. Not a good playmaker. Not a good half.

Could be good to keep around in the top 25 though.
Im not saying for him to really play as any form of Playmaker if SK did play him at #6. As you said he has scored 3 tries and im my mind serves me correctly 2 of them were from taking the line on. Which is what i said he his best at in my earlier post!

bartman

Immortal
Ok so we have a half back. Welcome Chris ! :D

Candidates for 2012 5/8 are currently as follows:-

• Daniel Mortimer
  • Jarryd Hayne
  • Casey Maguire
  • Tom Humble
  • Brad Murray
  • Reni Maitua
or an outside signing.

Thoughts ?
Mortimer - no thanks, doesn't value add to the team as it is, and the combination with Sandow wouldn't look like a confident one. Should be turned into a dummy half for 2012 or shopped around.

Hayne - he and Sandow will be our two highest paid players next season, he has the ability to be more involved in attack and defence, and 2012 should be the time for him to step up imo. (If it fails again, then we just let him go elsewhere for overs for his next contract.)

Maguire - if Hayne is unable or unwilling to be a full-time playmaker, then Maguire is more than capable, and his maturity alongside Sandow will make for a solid and worthy one year combination.

Humble - it's a real shame that he hasn't been available for a shot in first grade so far this year, so we can see what he brings to the table. I hope he's kept up his training all this time, as he has the potential to contribute as much as Mortimer does, but at half the price. Try him out this year, see how he goes?

Murray - not convinced he's our great hope. Has to get the official all clear before he should even be considered this year. Time will tell if he can develop, but should be behind Humble in the pecking order imo.

Maitua - I wouldn't have thought of Reni as a five-eighth, but provided he hasn't piled on the kilos while on his drugs suspension, then he could provide a Sutton-like build and presence alongside the speedy Sandow. Again, try him out this year, and see how he goes?

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Mortimer should have first opportuunity. My only concern is what defence structure do we put in place to protect our small halves. Keep Hayne at Fullback, no need to move him to 5/8 with Sandow at 7. Hayne at fullback can now do what he does best floating in and out of our attack.

Bazal

Post Whore
Humble would get first crack for me, if he ever returns from his secret mission for the CIA. He's a fantastic talent, offers a lot more than Mortimer. Failing him, Murray could work well in the role.

Otherwise, if I was looking externally I'd be chasing Maloney or Kelly (Albert or Luke, whichever). They'd come at a decent price and Maloney and Luke Kelly especially would be the steady player outside Sandow. Of course I'd chase Widdop but I can't see Melbourne letting him go.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Im not saying for him to really play as any form of Playmaker if SK did play him at #6. As you said he has scored 3 tries and im my mind serves me correctly 2 of them were from taking the line on. Which is what i said he his best at in my earlier post!

There's taking the line on and then there's taking the line on.

One of them involves tucking the ball under the arm and getting tunnel vision as you brace for contact.

The other involves trying to draw defenders out of position and looking to pass the ball while risking the big hit.

Robson does the former. So did Kris Keating which is part of why we let him go.

Mortimer at least tries to set up his supports when he takes the line on. He still might come good. All he really needs is a bit more strength and confidence.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Maguire - if Hayne is unable or unwilling to be a full-time playmaker, then Maguire is more than capable, and his maturity alongside Sandow will make for a solid and worthy one year combination.

Could be a great option, especially if we pick up another hooker.

But Reni at 6? Get the f**k out of here.

hindy111

Post Whore
I was under impression Humble will be back shortly.
Mcguire could be a very good option at 6.Someone to hold the ship down-A solid head. Leave Hayne at fullback unless Barba realy steps up to the plate.
I would keep a close eye on Marmin thou-21 next year.If we could squeeze a year out of mcguire at 5/8 than move hayne there in 2013 if marmins ready.
We may hve no need to sign a 5/8 if marmin comes good

84 Baby

Referee
Humble would get first crack for me, if he ever returns from his secret mission for the CIA. He's a fantastic talent, offers a lot more than Mortimer. Failing him, Murray could work well in the role.

Otherwise, if I was looking externally I'd be chasing Maloney or Kelly (Albert or Luke, whichever). They'd come at a decent price and Maloney and Luke Kelly especially would be the steady player outside Sandow. Of course I'd chase Widdop but I can't see Melbourne letting him go.
:lol: Gold! Didn't know Obama was a fan

caylo

Bench
Mortimer at least tries to set up his supports when he takes the line on. He still might come good. All he really needs is a bit more strength and confidence.

Strength, confidence plus maybe some speed, skill and vision then he'd be the perfect 5-8

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Strength, confidence plus maybe some speed, skill and vision then he'd be the perfect 5-8

Why does he need to be the perfect five-eighth?

You ever heard of the salary cap? Next year we'll have a highly paid fullback and halfback. For the money he's on Mortimer only needs to be average and he's already halfway there. :lol:

Freak2

Juniors
Not too sure who is going to line up at 5/8 next year beside Chrissy, however I would love to see his old School mate and joint 2006 Australian Schoolboy fellow team mate playing in the centres in 2012 or 2013.....

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
Who you calling a moron?

I'm telling you right now, if we're not still playing with split halves next year I WILL PUT SOME PANTS ON.

That's how confident I am.

Kearney won't spend all year with playing this structure only to change it just because we've signed Sandow. We'll certainly spread the ball more often next year, and he'll probably pop up on the left sometimes inside the attacking 20 but mostly it'll be Mortimer (or somebody else) on the left and Sandow on the right.

I repeat, if I'm wrong I'll start wearing pants.

Please do because i'm forever having to wipe clean the monitor of your jerky juice. f**king sprays everywhere you coming wanker.