What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The shit list and more.

hindy111

Post Whore
Like the merkins claiming Evans is one of our top earners? Good to see you having a go at them.

When we signed him I honestly was stoked. I thought he could be one of the top props in the game. I was wrong and I guessing so was BA. So what, look at Blair at warriors. A great 600k signing last year and now in reserves.

Chipmunk

Coach
Both were fringe first graders when they signed their current contracts. Both have been used as fringe first graders since.

Why would a fringe first grade sign a 3 year deal in May unless someone was offering coin that was no longer fringe first grader money?

If he's on less than $300k I'd be shocked

Happy MEel

First Grade
Mate, I'm not the one who signed them, so when new data is available (i.e. how they are used) I have to revise my assessment. NRL teams are picked on talent, not form. So a player signed on a genuine first grade contract (of which there are about a dozen in any given squad) won't get dropped for more than a game or two. Think Mennings last year, or Mansour and RCG for Penrith last week. Fringe first graders can get dropped and stay dropped until there's another opportunity.

Obviously they are signed to a certain amount which doesn't change based on their form. But we don't know that amount. We can only judge based on how the coach uses them. Could the coach change his mind about the squad role? Sure. But he's proven to give plenty of chances. It took him years to change his mind about French, for example. That merkin has not been sighted in first grade since last year. Meanwhile Evans got dropped pretty quickly last year but made his way back into first grade when he got some fitness and confidence. Then he started the year in first grade again and was picked every week until the Canberra game. That's what a fringe first grader's appearance pattern looks like.

And lest we forget Arthur's comments about Evans when we signed him: “We’re excited to add more depth to our forward pack; Kane’s size and aggression adds another dimension to our playing squad for next season,”

Teams need depth players as well as genuine first graders and backups. If the depth player you need isn't graduating from your NYC/Flegg squad that year then you need to recruit him from outside. The Roosters didn't drive his price up trying to keep him. They already had another depth player ready to go.
Mate, I agree with most of this. I also suggest that the coaching staff reassess as they see their players perform. All anyone has said that Evans isn’t delivering commensurate with his likely pay packet.

Happy MEel

First Grade
He was probably on minimum salary at the Roosters. He'd be on double that now.

Because there was so much demand for him?
I’d argue triple.

But even that’s not the end of the world. We can cop that gamble within our cap. We’re just saying he has been a bad value for money prospect.

However it would be nice to get that amount off our cap.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Mate, I agree with most of this. I also suggest that the coaching staff reassess as they see their players perform. All anyone has said that Evans isn’t delivering commensurate with his likely pay packet.
My view is that he is. But with young blokes like Kaufusi and maybe Utoikamanu working their way into the fringe first grader rotation (on backup's money) there would be an obvious cap saving in pushing out a fringe first grader on fringe first grade money.

Would you say French is being pushed out or just an unneeded fringe first grader?

Happy MEel

First Grade
My view is that he is. But with young blokes like Kaufusi and maybe Utoikamanu working their way into the fringe first grader rotation (on backup's money) there would be an obvious cap saving in pushing out a fringe first grader on fringe first grade money.

Would you say French is being pushed out or just an unneeded fringe first grader?
I’d say he’s being pushed out because he is surplus to needs. I also think he is on top 17 money but he isn’t worth that...at least to us. I’m fine with offering him another contract at around $150k as a back up fullback but that would be it.

Avenger

Immortal
It’s similar to the inverse hall of fame. Not many have escaped it. Today I announce:

Blake Ferguson
Maika Sivo
Nathan Brown

Fergo was a tough choice because he has had a great career but has always been a peanut who consistently makes awful decisions in defence. Has moments of brilliance but at close to $500k a year I bid you farewell.

Maika Sivo is lazy, cannot keep up with the play and only good close to the line. Usually gets found out by opposition wingers with some ticker. His carries are flaccid for a man his size.

Nathan Brown. The handbrake. A mixture of Martin Lang and a 40 year old Paul Gallen. Running with an angry face but making about 2m post contact is not NRL standard. You have also become a lazy defender around the ruck. No wonder Manly pulled their offer and you stayed. They saw the light. It’s a shame BA didn’t.

It’s similar to the inverse hall of fame. Not many have escaped it. Today I announce:

Blake Ferguson
Maika Sivo
Nathan Brown

Fergo was a tough choice because he has had a great career but has always been a peanut who consistently makes awful decisions in defence. Has moments of brilliance but at close to $500k a year I bid you farewell.

Maika Sivo is lazy, cannot keep up with the play and only good close to the line. Usually gets found out by opposition wingers with some ticker. His carries are flaccid for a man his size.

Nathan Brown. The handbrake. A mixture of Martin Lang and a 40 year old Paul Gallen. Running with an angry face but making about 2m post contact is not NRL standard. You have also become a lazy defender around the ruck. No wonder Manly pulled their offer and you stayed. They saw the light. It’s a shame BA didn’t.
I agree with the wingers but I think Brown is a bit hard done by. Looked like he is largely doing on his own last night; obviously RCG being injured early didn’t help but you got to be disappointed by Paulo; since he is back from Origin hasn’t really offered much.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I agree with the wingers but I think Brown is a bit hard done by. Looked like he is largely doing on his own last night; obviously RCG being injured early didn’t help but you got to be disappointed by Paulo; since he is back from Origin hasn’t really offered much.

Imo, Paulo has been average all season.

He seems to be playing as a distributor first, and prop second. He trundles up to the line, and makes a couple of metres.

Run at the line, son! You're huge, and strong! Channel your inner James Graham, Junior!

emjaycee

Coach

Blake Ferguson
Maika Sivo
Nathan Brown

No Waqa?

Latest posts