What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The shoulder charge debate thread

betcats

Referee
I'm not suggesting that was the reason for the stoppage.

Why was the play stopped though, even in super slo mo there wasn't anything in it

JT was hit several times later and in more dangerous positions, and there was nothing said

One ref thought it was high, once play was stopped they realised it was nothing and went back for the play the ball. Anyway it was a bad moment for the refs made worse by the fact they completely missed that shoulder charge. Nothing suspect though, just the usual shitty refereeing.

ek999

First Grade
There was lots of similar shots on JT subsequent that that though, that went completely un commented on.

I personally didn't have any issues with them, but it seems that was officiated one way only

None of the shots I saw on JT were up around the shoulders like that one. They were all around the waist..

I don't understand what the problem is, the ref thought he saw something illegal, stopped play after the tackle was completed, had the tackle checked and resumed play after it was found to be OK. Yes the Cowboys had some momentum up which they lost but that is just bad luck

adamkungl

Immortal
people who want to keep the shoulder charger are usually one or all of the below

1) Over 50

2) Love scrums

3) thinks fatty is funny

4) think players should have second jobs as bricklayers

5) think Tinder is a racehorse

6) Wonder why the 7 Eleven is still open past 11pm.

7) Urinate more then 3 times in the middle of the night

8) Want everything made in Australia, yet always buys the cheapest item.

9) Think his fart does not smell

10) Against Gay marriage but listens to Alan Jones ;-)

Wrong except on 9

That "71 shoulder charges per season" stat is looking like genuine bullshit when you consider even with automatic suspensions we are still seeing more per round than what they claimed were being committed when they were 100% legal :lol:

You obviously believe the moon landing was faked :sarcasm:

Canard

Immortal
One ref thought it was high, once play was stopped they realised it was nothing and went back for the play the ball. Anyway it was a bad moment for the refs made worse by the fact they completely missed that shoulder charge. Nothing suspect though, just the usual shitty refereeing.

This is basically it really.

None of the shots I saw on JT were up around the shoulders like that one. They were all around the waist..

I don't understand what the problem is, the ref thought he saw something illegal, stopped play after the tackle was completed, had the tackle checked and resumed play after it was found to be OK. Yes the Cowboys had some momentum up which they lost but that is just bad luck

As I said I had no issues with the JT ones. But apparently they were against the rules (unsure though)

As for you last part, if that the way its going to be reffed than Im totally against it. It's going to kill momentum in games, and produce more stop start than a Union game. I don't care if its the Cowboys, Roosters or Pumpkin Pickers.

betcats

Referee
Cows had momentum up and should of got a piggy back penalty up the field for the shoulder charge but all the refs missed it because they were to busy checking the non existent high tackle.
Why do they even need to stop the game to check that high tackle there are 4 on field officials and 2 in the box.

Danish

Referee
Technically I don't believe the refs had the right to overturn their decision on the Reynolds tackle, or certainly aren't allowed to just stop play at random to have potential high tackles checked.

I suppose we got the fairest outcome though once play did stop, as at least they didn't go through with the penalty (which many a ref have done in the past). If they'd blown the penalty even after that replay was shown many would be blowing up that it was a wrong call.

The shoulder charge absolutely should have been penalised though. It's baffling that it wasn't given replays were actually shown of it

Parra

Referee
Nearly every spear tackle made resulted in no injury.
Nearly every lifting tackle made resulted in no injury.
Nearly every tackle on a player in the air resulted in no injury.
Nearly every punch thrown was totally ineffective and result in no injury.

Do the spectating tough-guys want to bring these gems back as well?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Nearly every spear tackle made resulted in no injury.
Nearly every lifting tackle made resulted in no injury.
Nearly every tackle on a player in the air resulted in no injury.
Nearly every punch thrown was totally ineffective and result in no injury.

Do the spectating tough-guys want to bring these gems back as well?

I'll take the punching and tackling the air please. You can leave spear tackling banned. Sounds like a fair compromise!

axl rose

Bench
The little corner the NRL has painted themselves in where they will now have to suspend 2-3 players per round for innocuous shoulder charges is going to be hilarious for the rest of this season.

That "71 shoulder charges per season" stat is looking like genuine bullshit when you consider even with automatic suspensions we are still seeing more per round than what they claimed were being committed when they were 100% legal :lol:

Dont send this to the NRL. Todd Greenturds head will explode if he reads common sense.

I have not seen a single shoulder charge this season -- including the Kane Evans hit. A "shoulder charge", by definition, means you run in and hit with your shoulder. That's why it's called a "charge". The Evans hit was not a shoulder charge; he was stationary, while Kasiano charged at him.

The first thing you are taught as a kid is to tackle with your shoulder.

BranVan3000

Coach
The shoulder charge ban was brought in to stop the crazy shoulder charges like GI on Dean Young where he ran in at top speed and dropped his shoulder. There are issues here because how easy it can go wrong

The kind of things players are being suspended for right now are not "charges" they are players being caught wrong footed or coming in with poor technique then bracing for the tackle. This is worth no more than a penalty. There needs to be a distinction between a player "charging" in with their shoulder eg feet moving. And a player just standing there and taking the contact with their shoulder

In cases where the attacking player is dumb enough to run into that shoulder at full pelt (eg the Kane Evans one) the onus is on the attacking player when they come off second best

Last edited:

siv

First Grade
If they are going to charge players for poor technique and tap shoulder chargers

Then grade 1 needs to revert back to 100 points

Repeat offenders will be addressed by loading

Rabbits20

Immortal
The real issue with that play, was that the referee stopped the game to check a nothing incident on Reynolds, told the Cowboys they were going to be penalised and then changed his mind.

This was after a great return from Oneill. Killed all the momentum and got Souffs set in defence.

There should be official explanation as to what happened there, because it's virtually unprecedented.

If you were a conspiracy theorist, you could say it was engineered to take the focus of Keary

The game has stooped a lot to check on Thurston over the years for a nothing incident.

The ref was just doing his job the other night.

Rabbits20

Immortal
I'm not suggesting that was the reason for the stoppage.

Why was the play stopped though, even in super slo mo there wasn't anything in it

JT was hit several times later and in more dangerous positions, and there was nothing said

JT milks it all the time and makes it look worse.

Souths players made attempts to wrap their arms around JT in bear hug tackles which is legal.

Rabbits20

Immortal
There was lots of similar shots on JT subsequent that that though, that went completely un commented on.

I personally didn't have any issues with them, but it seems that was officiated one way only

If there wasn't an issue then the correct calls were made. Bloody hell you're whining!!!!

If the refs went the other way they wouldn't be doing their job.

Souths did a great job in shutting down Thurston.

Rabbits20

Immortal

The problem is he's trying to say most of the calls went against the Cowboys when they didn't.

Cowboys won the penalties count as well.

Rod

Bench

Did anyone else see the other article where the brother basically called out Sterlo and told him to walk through the halls of their house and look at photos of his brother etc.?

Like I know the family is hurting and I obviously sympathise with them but I think this is getting a bit ridiculous now. Might be time for them to take a back seat from this for a while.

adamkungl

Immortal
The shoulder charge ban was brought in to stop the crazy shoulder charges like GI on Dean Young where he ran in at top speed and dropped his shoulder. There are issues here because how easy it can go wrong

The kind of things players are being suspended for right now are not "charges" they are players being caught wrong footed or coming in with poor technique then bracing for the tackle. This is worth no more than a penalty. There needs to be a distinction between a player "charging" in with their shoulder eg feet moving. And a player just standing there and taking the contact with their shoulder

In cases where the attacking player is dumb enough to run into that shoulder at full pelt (eg the Kane Evans one) the onus is on the attacking player when they come off second best

Anyone who thought the NRL was capable of pulling this off with the clarity and nuance required of such a change has rocks in their head.

It was a bad idea to begin with, and they've absolutely cocked it up beyond any reasonable level.

Did anyone else see the other article where the brother basically called out Sterlo and told him to walk through the halls of their house and look at photos of his brother etc.?

Like I know the family is hurting and I obviously sympathise with them but I think this is getting a bit ridiculous now. Might be time for them to take a back seat from this for a while.

Yep.

Tinkler

Juniors

Well the death of Ackerman from a shoulder charge demonstrates why it was banned.

Sterlo is from the old school of Harden up...80's