What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The shoulder charge debate thread

Danish

Referee
Another day of footy for the mandatory suspension rule with more charges than what the NRL claimed there were in a total round back when they were legal :lol:

Seriously there are going to be more suspended players than injuries by the time the finals arrive.

Just a brilliant rule change

adamkungl

Immortal
The NRL is losing emo over-reactors?

Doesn't matter what smart-arse name you give them if the stop paying money to watch NRL games in growing numbers.

Lucky crowds aren't at their lowest in over a decade. Oh wait... they are.

It's probably a coincidence though, even though people keep saying specifically that they are watching less NRL every year because they can't cop the shite rule changes and poor refereeing. Yep. Just a coincidence.

adamkungl

Immortal
the 16 evil club doctors decided this !!!

doctors are evil....

entertainment before safety !!!!

They can go f**king start a General Practice and sit on their arse all day talking to old merkins if they don't want to be doctors for a contact sport with a bit of risk.

Danish

Referee
the 16 evil club doctors decided this !!!

doctors are evil....

entertainment before safety !!!!

You do realise that "entertainment over safety" is the definition of every single professional sport known to man?

Rabbits20

Immortal
Lachlan Burr from the Titans also did one today that went unpenalised, interested to see if the match review finds it...

Yep I saw that.

Ethan Lowe did one on Thursday night and didn't get charged.

I'm waiting to see if Milford is suspended.

On the radio they were saying Taukieaho should be out for 1 week.

Parra

Referee
Doesn't matter what smart-arse name you give them if the stop paying money to watch NRL games in growing numbers.

Lucky crowds aren't at their lowest in over a decade. Oh wait... they are.

It's probably a coincidence though, even though people keep saying specifically that they are watching less NRL every year because they can't cop the shite rule changes and poor refereeing. Yep. Just a coincidence.

For sure you are right. Record TV deal tells otherwise though, doesn't it.

People are watching in record numbers.

Shoulder charge is gone. Never coming back. Move on.

adamkungl

Immortal
For sure you are right. Record TV deal tells otherwise though, doesn't it.

People are watching in record numbers.

Shoulder charge is gone. Never coming back. Move on.

TV is easy. You don't have to do anything or pay anything. Attending games is a commitment of time and money. It shows fans value the experience.

Crowds have never been Rugby League's highest point but you can't spin decreasing crowds as a positive. If NRL is falling down the priority list for most people it's only a matter of time til TV takes a hit as well.

MarkC

Juniors
As I see it the players just need to adjust their technique.
They can still use a lot of shoulder and you can still get plenty of spectacular hits, they just need to use a bit of arm.
IMO there are plenty of players who can do that and the collisions are still very hard.
Once the players and fans get used to the change the game will go on fine.
I like to see hard collisions as much as anyone, but what I want to see is hard legal collisions, not someone getting hit in the head with someones shoulder.
That is why they are having the clampdown, a certain % of shoulder changes go wrong.
When they do both players pay a high price.

Card Shark

Immortal
TV is easy. You don't have to do anything or pay anything. Attending games is a commitment of time and money. It shows fans value the experience.

Crowds have never been Rugby League's highest point but you can't spin decreasing crowds as a positive. If NRL is falling down the priority list for most people it's only a matter of time til TV takes a hit as well.

A good point.

Kids who stay at home will elect to play their X-Box, PlayStation or IPad instead of watching footy on TV.

Merdy33

Juniors
I can live with the shoulder charge being banned. Sports evolve, and that is the case here.
Where I think the NRL can fix this though, is the definition of a shoulder charge. I think at the moment it would be something like a blanket "using the shoulder without, or prior to any contact by an arm". But they have forgotten about the "charge" bit of the term. The term "charge" indicates moving forward, or with intent. In Tafua's case, he didn't charge anyone. He braced himself and Wighton bounced off him. If he gets charged by the MRC, he should lawyer up and fight it on the basis of the terminology.
I think if the powers that be man up, admit they got it wrong and adjust the definition now, before someone gets rubbed out of the GF for just protecting themselves, then we can move on.

thorson1987

Coach
I can live with the shoulder charge being banned. Sports evolve, and that is the case here.
Where I think the NRL can fix this though, is the definition of a shoulder charge. I think at the moment it would be something like a blanket "using the shoulder without, or prior to any contact by an arm". But they have forgotten about the "charge" bit of the term. The term "charge" indicates moving forward, or with intent. In Tafua's case, he didn't charge anyone. He braced himself and Wighton bounced off him. If he gets charged by the MRC, he should lawyer up and fight it on the basis of the terminology.
I think if the powers that be man up, admit they got it wrong and adjust the definition now, before someone gets rubbed out of the GF for just protecting themselves, then we can move on.

Whilst I was against the ban, but i have come to accept it, this is what should happen.

Latest posts